WGI or NJMP?

Guys I can only do one of two events at one of these venues. I've been to WGI several times but never to NJMP. should I try out the new track instead of going back to WGI? One concern I always have is safety. I love WGI but 135+ MPH speeds and lots of Armco everywhere.... I don't feel the safest on this track. Still have no rollbar and no harness and no HANS. Is Thunderbolt safer? It's smaller, right?

Going with the Ferrari club. Did it before and had a blast. Challenge cars show up. Any input as to which to pick?

Last edited:
really depends on you.....do you want to learn a new track? there is much less stuff to hit at njmp.Can you come to kids day?

Turbo - I've been to Thunderbolt several times, I love it - it's good for the NSX - Watkins is bigger faster - Thunderbolt is totally clear. On the other hand I'm going to Kids day, I hear it's real important and would not miss it [ and would not want to sell you on something that would make you miss it].
What Dates are you considering?

Doc unfortunately my travel dates are not up to me but the 3 others I am going with. I really want to not be an asshole and do something positive and good like kids day... I try to do that stuff localy all the time by setting up things with the big brother program... But it is not up to me and I don't think any days other than the ones they have picked can work. I will ask anyway.

So NJMP is safer... Hmmm... More runoff I assume and a slower track?

- - - Updated - - -

Silver one is end of August and one is end of July

- - - Updated - - -

When is the kids day event?

I like different tracks. It sharpens your skills as a driver since you need to learn new lines and adapt to different conditions. I have around 7500 miles at the Glen and although I enjoy it my "untimed" lap times (it is hpde after all....) are within tenths of a second of each other so there is really not much more "learning" on that track for me. I have been on 11 tracks (12 if i count Suzuka) and each new one helps keep skills sharp since learning a new line requires the use of you knowledge of vehicle dynamics to gain speed incrementally. At the Glen it is a lot of "muscle memory" but a new track reinforces skill sets.

Kids day is 7/23 [ evening at camp ] and 7/24 on track with trackmasters.

if you do go to NJMP, my place is about half way from Boston.

This would only be my third trip to the glen, with my first being the first time I was ever on a track. So it's not like I have mastered WGI. Far from it. I can't even visualize the whole thing in my head right now. So I am pretty sure I am still learning a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah weekday will be near impossible for me

This would only be my third trip to the glen, with my first being the first time I was ever on a track. So it's not like I have mastered WGI. Far from it. I can't even visualize the whole thing in my head right now. So I am pretty sure I am still learning a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah weekday will be near impossible for me

Then pick the event that gives you the most track time per day

Hey Dave,
I've done about 10 or 12 days at Thunderbolt, maybe 14 or so at Lightning and perhaps about the same at the Glen. Of the 2 NJMP tracks Thunderbolt is my least favorite though remember this is in the other car (Z06). I haven't had the Z06 at the Glen yet (and we are closing on our house on the 25th so no Kid's Day for us) though will be attending the Chin event on Labor Day Monday and the Tuesday after with some other NSX-ers if you or anyone else wants to join us (shameless plug).

Thunderbolt has an awkward turn, that is one that you just have to get through (Octopus). It is humorous to see everyone take a different line through it (this is in the advanced run groups so not like they don't know what they are doing), but it really slows the car down. I know you have the Supercharger so getting back up to speed before the front straight isn't as much as an issue as it would normally be for the NSX, but I prefer tracks that flow. Lightning flows. VIR flows. The Glen flows. Thunderbolt - doesn't. I know there are others who like Thunderbolt better than Lightning, but other other car drivers (higher horsepower) I've talked to have also mentioned their lack of fondness for Thunderbolt.

Since you've only had 3 events at the Glen then I'd suggest to build on what you have learned about tracking your car and the track itself so that you really get to feel in the groove so to speak. I think you've mentioned that you have been doing a lot of auto crossing, so going to a track you have some familiarity with I think would provide more opportunity to use your new skills. By going to a new track, you'll spend part of the first day just learning the new track. Well unless your ADD like me and then it will take you the entire day!

Perhaps you all would be able to finagle some time off to go to one of the best tracks in the nation (yes my opinion I know. Well, Paul Newman's opinion as well!) - VIR. It really is an awesome track and I love the Glen, but have to say, I love VIR even more. Plus they have some of the best track food I have ever eaten. Healthy - no. Good - omg yes! Homemade Biscuits for breakfast. True Pulled Pork Sandwiches for lunch. Plus, you'd get to drive with me again! What could be better!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and not that this colored my opinion as I didn't like Thunderbolt prior to this, but my only HPDE incident was at Thunderbolt. In the rain. Going 30 mph. With my wheels straight.

LOL Carla how did you have an incident going 30 and straight? Speaking of Z06... You know James sold his black 03 NSX and bought a C6 Z06 a while back. Oh my god tracking with him now is painful, because of his constant commentary... "Hey are those lug nuts you got JDM yo?".... "Hey is that oil pouring out of your OEM supercharger? Does that bring you up to 300 now?... Oh wait that's not OEM? Can you up the boost and get to 330?"... The only thing going for me is that at least at the last track I was faster than him and he constantly pointed me by. So back at the garage I could dish some back. Anyway thanks for your input. I am Add like you and it does take me a long time to learn any track.

Last edited:
Depending on your goals.....my suggestion would be to continue running the tracks you are familiar with, but with experienced instructors who can get you around quicker.To think you are going as fast as you can,and then to be given some pointers that will cut your time,and make things feel more in control are worth the effort.

All I want to know is if he has a C6Z06, why is he giving you point bys!!! lol

Would love to see you both at the track again since I don't suck as much as I did before (omg I was sooooooooooooooo slow. Like S L O W ). Actually it would just be a blast. Don't you think it is time a business owner like you choose to take some time off and spend with your fellow NSX friends for a couple of days on the track down south. If you both came, I'd promise to make fun of him in return for you.

Perhaps you all would be able to finagle some time off to go to one of the best tracks in the nation (yes my opinion I know. Well, Paul Newman's opinion as well!) - VIR. It really is an awesome track and I love the Glen, but have to say, I love VIR even more. Plus they have some of the best track food I have ever eaten. Healthy - no. Good - omg yes! Homemade Biscuits for breakfast. True Pulled Pork Sandwiches for lunch. Plus, you'd get to drive with me again! What could be better!!!!

this, dave I can assure that you will not be disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, I loooooveeeee the glen. WGI and VIR are tied as my 2nd/3rd favorite tracks. But with Expo you have an excuse to go out of your normal boundary and go to a fantastic track that will not be jammed up like it normally is.

Back