Well I wouldn't have believed it if you told me, but...

Stick-e-rice said:
Even wines are appreciating in value with a better average gain than most investments today. They are out there.

:smile:

Maybe but the only real way to enjoy the wine is to consume it and cause its value to plummet greatly! :smile:

The difference between a watch vs. 'time-piece' is the same as a cup of coffee and a Starbucks latte. It's basically the same in function, you're just voluntarily paying for the 'extras' like the name.

BTW, I have a Swiss Army 'time-piece' :D
It's good enough to tell me I'm late for work every morning.

I love it.:tongue:

Time is of the essence...

Carguy! said:
... I recently bought an Audemars Piquet

Which AP did you acquire? Any recommendations for a prospective AP-buyer?

rickysals said:
fair enough, i can appreciate the investment aspect - but i still dont get how someone would pay twice as much as regular value for a 10year old watch.

if the market is there, take advantage of it i suppose

It's not the market. It's the way the world has evolved during man's time on Earth. The ability to recognize time was priceless throughout the milleniums. Only in the past century or so has time-keeping become so mainstream to the masses. Prior to, it was very much a very prized piece of workmanship to acquire.

In various books and papers I've read in regards to the Soviet/Russian offensive into Germany in 1944, often mentioned was the Red Army soldier's taking every possible wrist/pocket watch they could find. They would prioritize 'seeking time-pieces' above food/rations, German women, captured Wehrmacht officers, and other much needed wartime staples. And no, it wasn't to flip them on www.eBay'ski.comm/ru-cccp! :biggrin:

Swiss/Geneve watches and time-pieces are one of the very few high-quality, hand-made, reliable, premium goods that an individual can acquire in a sense that they are getting a product relatively worthy of it's high cost. Nowadays, everything from sunglasses to leather-goods from even the most distinguished fashion design-houses are trite and not novel. They are mass-produced abroad w/o precision or exacting tolerances using marginal materials... definitely not worth anywhere near their lofty price at all whatsoever. The essence of owning such is merely recognizable and superficial affluence; a certain whiff of exclusitivity. But no sense of pride or satisfaction in terms of craftsmanship, skill, innovation, or legacy in owning. A possession lacking one elusive trait: timelessness...

Oddly enough, I've had the bests' experiences w/ Raymond Weil (a relative newcomer and moderately-priced Swiss watch-maker) compared to much higher priced Rolex, Cartier, Omega, and Tags that have been owned. Go figure?!? :frown:

Joel said:
The difference between a watch vs. 'time-piece' is the same as a cup of coffee and a Starbucks latte. It's basically the same in function, you're just voluntarily paying for the 'extras' like the name.

When you're talking about watches/time-pieces in the realm of mid 4-figures to 5-figures plus... it's more than time-keeping. It's use of expensive, precious metals and materials, innovative techniques, and incomparable craftsmanship... owning a NSX is what to you? Swiss Army watch'esque C5 would make more sense, no? Who needs titanium connecting rods, magnesium-alloy engine components, aluminum frame & body components, hand-assembled, F1-champion inspired suspension, production-line dolly, post-assembly track tested, etc'... :wink:

Just look up the difference between chronograph & chronometer!

Last edited:
Re: Time is of the essence...

Osiris_x11 said:
When you're talking about watches/time-pieces in the realm of mid 4-figures to 5-figures plus... it's more than time-keeping. It's use of expensive, precious metals and materials, innovative techniques, and incomparable craftsmanship... owning a NSX is what to you? Swiss Army watch'esque C5 would make more sense, no? Who needs titanium connecting rods, magnesium-alloy engine components, aluminum frame & body components, hand-assembled, F1-champion inspired suspension, production-line dolly, post-assembly track tested, etc'... :wink:

Actually the NSX is the Swiss Army watch to me compared to a Ferrari which is a Rolex. A C5 would be the equivalent of a Fossil. :D

Osiris_x11 said:
Which AP did you acquire? Any recommendations for a prospective AP-buyer?

Here is a link to the one that I bought:

http://www.watch4sale.com/APROskelplat01.html

I think the platinum watches are going to be worth the most long term, but anything with a very complicated movement is going to hold its value quite well.

This one keeps track of leap years until the year 2100, it still amazes me the complexity that a watch would need to do that mechanically.

I mainly just collect watches that interest me and don't really look for ones that are going to increase in value. Luckily the two have went hand in hand with watches though.

I'm, sorta, like Carguy. I only collect the watches that I like. They are usually the Automatics or something with a lot of Complications. As they tend to either hold their value of go up in Value.

I have held on to digital watches that are now worth ridiculous dollars if you compare them to what they costed when they where new.

My favorite of all are Automatic Chronographs and Minute repeaters as well as Jump Hours.
I love Vacheron and Jeager and Pateks and if they are vintage then that is even better, as I usually shop for vitage wristwatches.

Swiss Army makes very nice time pieces and have made some of the nicest watches, However there were more than 3 different companies putting Swiss Army on their watches. The older the better. The newer and new ones are still solid pieces.

It's just like a car to me, It isn't necessarily the smartest buy, but in my opinion, if I am going to spend any $$$s on it, I have to be able to maintain some kind of value or appreciate in value; mine or someone's else.
Therefore keeping that purchase from becoming disposable.

Like anything else that I buy, I could care less about the status or the name that is on it, I just want it to be of quality and worthy of the $$$s, that way if something should happen to me, those that are in charge of my possesions are not at a handicap when disposing of them in a way that is fit, they can sell them rather quickly, not leaving them with the residue left from my own infatuations. (Okay My wife and kids can sell my toys to someone else with my disease for the same toys and in some cases make a profit):smile:

Just like any other collectible or commodity, you can win big with watches. Or you could loose "BIG TIME" (Rolex).:wink:

Nice Audemar Carguy.

len3.8 said:
Nice Audemar Carguy.

Thanks, I love it! It has a skeleton back as well and it is very cool to be able to see all of the gears and jewels in the watch working together.

I recently sent the watch back to Audemars to have it overhauled and cleaned and they said it is going to take 10 weeks to get it done.

Carguy! said:
Here is a link to the one that I bought:

http://www.watch4sale.com/APROskelplat01.html

I think the platinum watches are going to be worth the most long term, but anything with a very complicated movement is going to hold its value quite well.

This one keeps track of leap years until the year 2100, it still amazes me the complexity that a watch would need to do that mechanically.

I mainly just collect watches that interest me and don't really look for ones that are going to increase in value. Luckily the two have went hand in hand with watches though.

That is a really nice watch. What was the price on that?

steveny said:
That is a really nice watch. What was the price on that?

I finally got them down to $45,000, the watch was $112,000 new so someone took a huge hit on the watch initially. This is why I would normally never consider buying a watch new.

Just super. I had gotten watches out of my head and look what I stumble upon. Thanks guys.

I love my Breitling Crosswind Racing SS and although my family would freak at what it cost me (even though it is not a *very* expensive watch, its about $4k), I love it.

390.jpg

Its one of those special to me things, kinda like a really nice pen. Does it tell better time then a $1 Timex, no. Does it have super functionality? No.

But its mine and its been on my wrist everday. It was there when my daughter and son were born. How many things that you have are durable enough to be the same decades later as they were on day one, that you carry with you through all of the meaningful events in your life. I bet that when I am an old fart and I look back, my watch will be there just as it is today. That will be somewhat special to me.

Plus, in this high tech world sometimes it is nice just to have some touch with craftmanship.

Back