Wear your HANS!

...or which ever head and neck restraint system you choose.
I crashed in the Skip Barber F2000 yesterday and was happy I had mine on!
I went 4 off at the Kink at Road America during my last race and foolishly tried to re-enter the track too soon. I was probably going between 105-110 mph when I went off and would imagine I struck the inside wall at around 90 mph. I hit the left rear corner first, the tire rolled all the way to Canada Corner. If I had struck the wall head first and was not wearing a HANS, I am quite sure I would be dead. Today I am just a little sore.
If you are tracking a car in anger, you need to have a head and neck support system.
Hope everyone had a great 4th of July weekend, I return you to your regular
banter...
Cheers!

phew ... maybe your driving was too smooth and you couldn't get the tires up to temp.

:biggrin:as they say, I ran out of talent just before I ran out of track!
actually, i turned in too early and you can't lift or pinch the exit in the Kink or you will spin due to trailing throttle oversteer. Your only option is to try and run wide onto the grass as smoothly as possible and then do not attempt to steer it back onto the track and do not touch the brakes. I errored in trying to steer it back onto the track. Dumb, amateurish move...:redface:

Thankfuly you can post about it:smile: in a fast car the kink is a true test of skill and nerve.

Re: We want the gore !!!

Fortunately we're not talking about you, so some of us voyeurs want to see the damages to the car, :eek: (and maybe if you're not shy) hear about the damages to your wallet. :frown:

BTW, did you meet Wade Leathers? He's my rental hot shoe (an attorney from Chicago) and was up there last weekend.

Re: We want the gore !!!

Fortunately we're not talking about you, so some of us voyeurs want to see the damages to the car, :eek: (and maybe if you're not shy) hear about the damages to your wallet. :frown:

BTW, did you meet Wade Leathers? He's my rental hot shoe (an attorney from Chicago) and was up there last weekend.

Final damage: $9200. Fortunately, my liability is capped at a little more than half that as I am on the infrequent crasher program. Sorry, no pic's, didn't think to take them (or any broken bits and pieces off the car as souveniers for the bar-room or office). I broke the entire left rear corner off and bent the s**t out of the left front. Poor thing looked pretty sad dangling from the hook...
Yeah, I know Wade well, in fact, I nearly collected him in my accident!
He's a good guy.
Tell you what, those Skippy cars are pretty stout, would not have wanted to be in the NSX (or any other street car) at that speed of impact. Rumour is, a GT3 went up in flames at the same place at a PCA event a couple months ago.

As docjohn said, the fact that you can post about it is indeed a huge relief and blessing. Every time I read about such incidents the butterflies start all over.

Re: Hrant always told me

never miss a marketing opportunity
Yeah, I know Wade well, in fact, I nearly collected him in my accident!
Perfect. I just used that fact to pressure him to get his ass out here to some "safer" tracks (Laguna, Thunderhill, even Infineon). :smile:

Re: Hrant always told me

never miss a marketing opportunity

Perfect. I just used that fact to pressure him to get his ass out here to some "safer" tracks (Laguna, Thunderhill, even Infineon). :smile:

"safer" intrinsicly, or safer 'cause I wont be there?:wink:

Re: Sounds like fun

Wade just sent me the play by play from his ring-side seat:

It was a little exciting in the kink but I saw it coming so I had backed off a bit. He had just gotten ahead of me in turn 1 because I got passed going into the corner by another car and scrubbed too much speed off going side by side through the corner. That allowed Jim and another guy to draft passed me on the way down to turn 3. I was getting a run on Jim through the carousel and I think I would of had a chance to get my position back in Canada Corner. Coming out of the carousel into the kink I saw Jim go wide so I backed off just a little before I committed to the kink. Jim ran out of exit coming out of the kink dropped his left wheels into the dirt and then got snapped across the track in front of me to the wall on the right. As he was sliding down the wall I nailed it to get passed then saw him leaving the wall and heading left. Saw him in my mirrors come back across the track and whack the left wall.

Jim, maybe you should come out west with Wade and race in our Formula Mazda Challenge. (Hrant, how am I doing?) :wink:

Reading your post almost made me change my underwear.
Geez Larry, you probably feather the throttle thru T-10 at Infineon !!!! :rolleyes: Don't let Kip hear you admit to that; FLAT, son, you gotta be flat thru there. Remember Pain is fleeting; Glory is forever. Oh yeah, and don't forget: Chicks dig scars. :cool:

Thanks for the advice. I wore my HANS for the first time this weekend with a bevy of new safety devices. Firebottle, fuel cell, race seat, 6-pt harnesses, roll cage, fire suit, window net. I feel much safer, but I'm not sure the fun factor increased too much...

I picked up a HANS two weeks ago, and reading threads like this will keep me wearing it.

Re: close the deal........

You are doing great, now just add a bit more real bait to lure in the catch
Oh, you mean like show the umbrella girls? :tongue: or you thinking doctor/dentist discounts? :rolleyes:

Wait til you see my 30 second video advertisement for Shoe String Racing !!! Coming soon. :cool:

Jim, maybe you should come out west with Wade and race in our Formula Mazda Challenge. (Hrant, how am I doing?) :wink:

when, where and how much?

BTW, tell Wade I'm doing doubles in August, looking for redemption for my weak-ass showing last weekend!

Re: close the deal........

Oh, you mean like show the umbrella girls? :tongue: or you thinking doctor/dentist discounts? :rolleyes:

Wait til you see my 30 second video advertisement for Shoe String Racing !!! Coming soon. :cool:

yes, umbrella girl pics please!:biggrin:

Oh, and as far as the doctor discount, I'll offer free breast exams for the umbrella girls!

Last edited:
What harness and restraints are you guys with HANS using? I would prefer something that is not too elaborate as this is not a dedicated track car and something where I can keep the stock 3 point belt (and seat, if that is possible).

What harness and restraints are you guys with HANS using? I would prefer something that is not too elaborate as this is not a dedicated track car and something where I can keep the stock 3 point belt (and seat, if that is possible).

Can't use a HANS (or any other head and neck restraint system) w/ stock 3-point harnesses. Need a minimium of four points, the F2000 is a 6-point harness. If you are tracking your NSX regularly and aggressively, I'd recommend getting a full-on race seat and harnesses.

when, where and how much?

BTW, .....looking for redemption for my weak-ass showing last weekend!

Yeah, I see Franz finished ahead of both of you guys. What's up with that? Wade was much quicker out here at Infineon.

I'll EM you our schedule and rates for Infineon, Thunderhill and Laguna and what dates Wade is considering.

Oh, and as far as the doctor discount, I'll offer free breast exams for the umbrella girls!
Cool. They got some nice ones for ya. :wink:

Can't use a HANS (or any other head and neck restraint system) w/ stock 3-point harnesses. Need a minimium of four points, the F2000 is a 6-point harness. If you are tracking your NSX regularly and aggressively, I'd recommend getting a full-on race seat and harnesses.

Yes, I know about the 3 point being incompatible with HANS. What I am asking about is whether there are any recommendations for harness bar and restraint systems that also retain the stock seats and 3 point belt, if that is possible.

Sorry if this is a hijack, perhaps I should start a new thread.

Yes, I know about the 3 point being incompatible with HANS. What I am asking about is whether there are any recommendations for harness bar and restraint systems that also retain the stock seats and 3 point belt, if that is possible.

there are plenty of options,you can inspect mine at kids day:cool:

There have been many posts on this question. This thread started in 2003, and my solution which works for me is the last post #57.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18729&highlight=Harness+mounting

Yeah, I see Franz finished ahead of both of you guys. What's up with that? Wade was much quicker out here at Infineon.

Yeah, Franz had a good weekend, so did my buddy Tony. He found 3 seconds, I lost 3 seconds. WTF?! very frustrating...:mad:
I have a theory about Road America, I think it's those killer long straights that really magnify the difference between the fastest racers and the rest of the pack. I had 4 different cars and really had trouble getting into a rhythm, I know, excuses...

Any crash you can walk away from is a good crash. You even kept the rubber side down. :)

Back