watch out for those AMGs

I got my doors blown off by a CL55 AMG on Sunday. Not surprising given he had around 230 horsepower and 300 ft. lbs of torque beyond my essentially stock NSX. (RSR exhaust and K&N drop-in filter for a few hp, maybe).

I will say that the AMG has a wonderful exhaust bark at full throttle. I would like to think that the NSX would still lap a road course faster, as the AMG does not handle nearly as well, but with a 187 mph top speed it may win out there as well. As with most comparisons, it would likely come down to the type of track.

The CL is fairly sedate from the front and the sides, but hard to miss with the quad AMG oval tips protruding from the rear. When he pulled alongside and a little behind me at the light, I though it was a CL 500.

I like to pick battles I can win, when I pick them at all, so I would not have flexed on the AMG and in truth didn't flex when I thought it was a normal CL. It was apparent that he just wanted to show me up, and he did.

Time to start saving for a supercharger. ;)

Last edited:
Wow, you're killing me. I sold my E36 M3 soon after being smoked by a fat MBZ sedan in 98. I'm seriously looking at an NSX coupe now, but stories like this make me think twice.

I've got to believe that had the road been at all twisty that you would have been able to take him, no?

You might need a supercharge and a shot of NOS to take these new Mercedes cars. They are FAST. Even the GIGANTIC S600 will hit 100 mph in under 10 seconds vs a stock NSX's 12. When 5000 pound sedans can smoke you off the line... its time for a bump in power.... a serious bump. a 150 HP bump!

This is from from an S600 that had the chip reprogrammed by RennTech otherwise completely stock (except potenza S-02A tires on the rear). 11.9 in a 4600 lb sedan is unreal!

Treynor%20time%20slip.gif

nsx_shopper said:
Wow, you're killing me. I sold my E36 M3 soon after being smoked by a fat MBZ sedan in 98. I'm seriously looking at an NSX coupe now, but stories like this make me think twice.

I've got to believe that had the road been at all twisty that you would have been able to take him, no?

A 97+ NSX would have fared a little better, primarily a result of the gearing, but still can't hang with 4.3-4.4 sec. to 60. Not much can, if that helps.

The new MB luxo-barges are quick, but they can't overcome the laws of physics. They have a ton of electronic wizardry to make the car seem lighter, but the handling numbers are quite inferior to a true sports car.

As for whether an NSX is for you, hard to say. If you haven't driven one yet, go find a nice one and do it. If an NSX is for you, you won't have any doubts after the test drive. I have an E36, and considered an M3, 540i/6 and E28/E34 M5 in addition to the NSX. As much as I love the M cars and still plan to own an old M5, they didn't come close to the NSX for my driving pleasure.

I doubt I will go the NOS route, but the supercharger is sounding more and more attractive these days, particularly with Acura of Brookfield just down the road. It will be at least another year before I get that done. I need to learn the limits of the NA NSX first.

andymo1972 said:
This is from from an S600 that had the chip reprogrammed by RennTech otherwise completely stock (except potenza S-02A tires on the rear). 11.9 in a 4600 lb sedan is unreal!

Treynor%20time%20slip.gif

I wanna know what ran the blistering 20.171 at 93 M.P.H:eek: :eek: :D

The new MB CL55 AMG claims to have 349 hp/391 lbs Torque
0-60 time is 5.7 secs.

The RennTech CL55 produces an impressive 540 HP w/ 564 Lbs of Torque 0-60 times not available.

Acura NsX Pilot said:
The new MB CL55 AMG claims to have 349 hp/391 lbs Torque
0-60 time is 5.7 secs.

The RennTech CL55 produces an impressive 540 HP w/ 564 Lbs of Torque 0-60 times not available.

I am afraid you are mistaken. You are thinking of the old CL 55. That car had a normally aspirated V8 with the power output above. The new CL 55 makes 493 hp (according to the MB brochure I am presently looking at) with the addition of a supercharger. The V12s are now twin-turbocharged and make similar horsepower. Indeed, they will be approaching 600 + horsepower very soon when they transplant the Maybach V12 into the S-class.

MB is staking a serious claim in the horsepower war. BMW will have a 500+ horsepower V10 in the M5 and M6 in the next year or so, and Audi has the RS6.

OK, Here's the reality: I own both an NSX and an AMG E55 (the 349 BHP, 391 ft/lb version).

The older AMG E55 is slightly faster in a straight line, and the newer 490 HP AMG is much faster in a straight line than the stock NSX, (perhaps the 349 HP AMG can't clock a Zanardi, but any OTHER stock NSX will lose in a straight line).

BIG F'''ING DEAL! The NSX is SOOOOO MUCH more enjoyable to drive that it is just not a comparison worthy of discussion. If you are looking for a car for straight line drag racing, you bought the wrong chariot. Get a Viper, or a Mitsu EVO, or a Subaru WRX STi. Or modify a P-O-S Camaro with big headers and 500 Horses. The NSX is for much more sophisticated tastes and drivers. It was NEVER designed for winning straight line drag races. It needs roads that twist to show it's stuff.

I can't believe that anyone even CARES what this car does off the line at a stop-light or christmas tree of a drag race. Buy a damn Don Prudhomme Funny Car if you want to beat ANYTHING in a Drag Race. But if you want a car that DRIVES, and communicates the road to you, and makes you one with the machine, THAT, my friends, is what an NSX is for.

ANYBODY can build a car that goes fast in a straight line with 400-500 horses in it. But THAT is NOT what DRIVING is all about, any more than whipping out your dick in public is the way to win a real woman.

Ya, I think that the NSX speak for itself: beautiful, rare, reliable, and more than adequate performance for most needs anyhow.

dougjgreen said:
BIG F'''ING DEAL! The NSX is SOOOOO MUCH more enjoyable to drive that it is just not a comparison worthy of discussion. If you are looking for a car for straight line drag racing, you bought the wrong chariot. Get a Viper, or a Mitsu EVO, or a Subaru WRX STi. Or modify a P-O-S Camaro with big headers and 500 Horses. The NSX is for much more sophisticated tastes and drivers. It was NEVER designed for winning straight line drag races. It needs roads that twist to show it's stuff.

I can't believe that anyone even CARES what this car does off the line at a stop-light or christmas tree of a drag race. Buy a damn Don Prudhomme Funny Car if you want to beat ANYTHING in a Drag Race. But if you want a car that DRIVES, and communicates the road to you, and makes you one with the machine, THAT, my friends, is what an NSX is for.

ANYBODY can build a car that goes fast in a straight line with 400-500 horses in it. But THAT is NOT what DRIVING is all about, any more than whipping out your dick in public is the way to win a real woman.

I was already aware of and agree with the above, and I knew you were out in nsxprime forum-land with your NSX and E55.

I have no illusions about what my NSX is and is not. I take it to Road America, not the drag strip, as much as my schedule and salary will permit.

I simply thought I would post an anecdote about my Sunday drive and the impressive straight line speed of the CL 55. You will note that I was not racing this car, but rather that he was racing me.

I think it is the nature of a web forum that one sometimes posts and replies to try to show up the others (ironically not all that dissimilar from the big dick drag race you describe, but with less potential for injury ;) ).

I am certainly guilty of arrogance from time to time (perhaps currently :) ) and not above the kind of self-righteousness that I detect in your post. Perhaps I have misunderstood, but you seem to say that the entire concept of the post is juvenile, which I did not expect to encounter and I vehemently dispute. As a litigator, I probably know more pretentious ways to say "you're wrong" than most.

I will say I am glad that this is not the type of forum that debates grammar and syntax (not that I have anything to fear in that department; feel free to show me the error of my ways if you must).

YMMV. :D :)

Brahtw8,

I didn't mean to come off as arrogant in that post. My point is simply that there are DOZENS of cars that can, either from stock, or when simply modified, beat a stock NSX in a straight line sprint. That doesn't make ANY of them better cars than an NSX, although a few of them are probably comparably good or even a hair better (but more costly, as well).

In General, I think that people need to get used to the fact that an NSX is nowhere NEAR the fastest car on the road when driving in a straight line. Honda's team, including Ayrton Senna, didn't design it with that in mind, and that's just reality. It's a VERY unimportant element of making a great car.

As we know, a $5000 used Honda CRX SI or Toyota MR-2 Turbo, with $5K of mods, can be built to beat an NSX in a straight line sprint. (AND, in immature hands, can easily kill a couple of innocent bystanders at the same time). But that doesn't mean that these are anywhere near comparable as complete performance automobiles.

Well said, dougman.

Tact can be scarce these days. Glad to see it has not disappeared altogether. I am always amazed at how one can disarm with a little restraint. ;)

CL55 over C5-Z06

Don't feel too bad...

in the current Motor Trend issue, a multi-car comparo shows the CL55 out-accelerating (0-60 and 1/4 mile) the Corvette C5-Z06.

With the governor disabled, the CL55 gets 187 mph.

No shame in getting out-accelerated by a Z06, much less a CL55

##############

I believe the SL55 convertible is even quicker.
And AMG is reportedly preparing a CL65 (!)

A friend of mine runs a number of cars with me at Putnam Park in the spring/summer -- a 3.0L NSX, an older (W210) AMG E55 , an older (E36) BMW M3 and a Corvette Z06. NSX is STILL the car for this course :D

The new super sedans are awesome cars!! I have an '02 M5 and absolutely love it. In fact, I prefer it over my NSX most of the time. I love the V8 torque, silky smooth and yet very practical for passengers and shopping sprees.

I did drive my NSX (since it finally stopped raining!) and did have a great time! You don't realize how much you miss the car when it's not your everyday vehicle.

I'm fortunate to have 2 of the best cars ever made to drive and I DO appreciate it everyday!

Love the AMGs and the BMW Ms as well as the NSX. The HP wars from the 60s? Forget about them. Modern cars and tuners are capable of delivering reliable 400 - 500 HP cars all day. Want a sedan to smoke Vipers in a straight line? Done. Don't you all love 21st century tech?!!!

there's more

Number9 said:
Modern cars and tuners are capable of delivering reliable 400 - 500 HP cars all day. Want a sedan to smoke Vipers in a straight line? Done. Don't you all love 21st century tech?!!!
The new AMG E55 (W211) has 469 hp / 516 ft-lb pushing 3800 lbs -- a recent R&T test (0-100-0) says it can keep up with a new Viper SRT-10 and beat a Vette C5-Z06. 0-60 in the low 4s...

The coming AMG SL65, unveiled at the Geneva auto show has a 6.0L twin-turbo V12 with 612 hp and 730 lb-ft, which is more than the coming SLR McLaren supercar. Coupe (CL) and sedan (!) versions reportedly to follow.

Buddy of mine just got a AMG CLK430 and wants to race me. I won't do it because he just totalled a Z28 racing a Z06. Either way, those AMG's are QUICK :eek:

92NSX said:
Buddy of mine just got a AMG CLK430 and wants to race me. I won't do it because he just totalled a Z28 racing a Z06.

pat.gif

It sounds like your buddy is a "slow learner"...

Back