Was your CTSC worth it? And has it been reliable?

As much confusion already in my search for a "perfect" NSX (perfect to me), like whether to get 1997+ NA2 NSX-T, 2002+, mint 1991 etc. - a new option has gotten my attention: A already CTSC'd NSX.

Maybe these have been covered earlier but I wonder if you thought your upgrade to CTSC was worth it and if it has been reliable.

I'm also wondering what the parts availability will be in the future if some part fails (I'm not familiar with superchargers), I will probably have the car for 5-7 years. I will probably drive 10.000 miles a year.

Thank you very much for your time.

Yes and yes

I CTSC'd my car when I got it (since May-ish 2006).

No issues whatsoever

How much power increase? :)

Btw I understand why people say the NSX with a CTSC is fast:

A good figure is hp based on the weight. The most common is hp/ton ratio.

A NSX (NA1 coupe): 280 hp/ 1360 kg. * 1000 kg. (1 ton) = 205 hp per ton
A CTSC'd NSX: 400 hp/ 1360 kg. * 1000 kg. = 294 hp per ton

A Porsche 996 Turbo: 272 bhp per ton (source: EVO Magazine, GB)
A Porsche 997 Turbo/ GT3: 302/ 297 bhp per ton (source: EVO Magazine, GB)
(note: BHP in slightly more than HP, but not by much at all)

So I can see the CTSC guy's enthusiasm. And BTW, the new E92 M3's hp/ton ratio is about 250 hp/ton......

How much power increase? :)

I don't have a baseline dyno but here is a big copy of my dyno sheet. The lower figure is what I dyno'd right after installing the CTSC and the higher figure is shortly after that once I re-tightened the belt.

8731Dyno1.jpg

yes, and yes. 8k on mine. to be honest, the car is fantastic with out it, BUT I would not own an NSX without FI. In stock form it just is not up to par with the rest of the street cars available today in that price range IMO. I'm at 350whp.
Matt

I was in the same position as you and I finally elected to look only for a CSTC version of this car. I decided that I liked the 2002+ versions better then the earlier versions, but I was prepared to accept an earlier version. Yes, the car is wonderful without one, but the addition of the CTSC is what places this car in the same pantheon as the high end Italian cars.

A good figure is hp based on the weight. The most common is hp/ton ratio.

A NSX (NA1 coupe): 280 hp/ 1360 kg. * 1000 kg. (1 ton) = 205 hp per ton
A CTSC'd NSX: 400 hp/ 1360 kg. * 1000 kg. = 294 hp per ton

A Porsche 996 Turbo: 272 bhp per ton (source: EVO Magazine, GB)
A Porsche 997 Turbo/ GT3: 302/ 297 bhp per ton (source: EVO Magazine, GB)
(note: BHP in slightly more than HP, but not by much at all)
My answer would be yes and yes. SCed since June, 2006. Whatever said already been said. While I am satisfied, I do welcome more.

I personally I consider CTSC as a (BPU++) basic standard performance upgrade, it take similar amount of time as installing I/H/E, basicly 1 day job. I think my headers install took longer.

If you want extreme power level, you have to go more advanced performance upgrade like Turbo (APU).

Here is my power to weight ratio, pretty fun to drive to me, still 100% daily drivable:
5.jpg

1.jpg

ctscdyno.jpg

Only 3,000 miles on mine, NO problems at all (since the ESM was adjusted !:wink: ). I know the turbo option will add more hp/TQ, but I still would not want it any other way!:biggrin: :biggrin:

I heard that once you put supercharger in, it doesn't have the same balance it has before the FI. Is that true?

I have owned two NSX and one with and one without a CTSC, I have tracked both and still track the CTSC car. What I can tell you is balance is a subjective term, and has a lot to do with your driving style. If you like a car that has slight understear, then you will not feel comfortable in a car with slight overstear. What the CTSC does is give you more torque; the good thing is that it is linear and flat as the stock NA torque curve. This gives you the option of driving the car exactly as stock by using less throttle or like it wants to be driven with the entire throttle.

On a daily driver the torque will allow you to shift less, short shift and pull in higher gears without the need to downshift just to pass someone. The addition of the CTSC will do nothing to change the cornering limits of the car; other mods are needed for this. This extra power on a track or in aggressive street driving can be a problem if you forget that since you are now going faster (do to the increased power) you will need to increase the time needed to break and slow the car prior to entering a corner. When leaving the corner you may have to learn to use less throttle until you are comfortable with controlling power overstear, this is something that a NA NSX has less to worry about.

The CTSC will not transform a NSX in to an uncontrollable beast and you will adjust to the new power very quickly. On the street the adjustment is easy and maybe to easy, within a short period of time the increased power will start to feel less impressive and less fun, then you have two choices. One, go drive a friends NA NSX and wonder how you ever lived with so little torque, or (this one is expensive) take a hit from the "Go Fast Crack Pipe" like the rest of use and start your quest for 500RWHP. The good news is that if you are just thinking about the CTSC you are about 5 years away from the "GFCP" calling your name while you sleep.

You will have no regrets with a CTSC.

Dave

Mine has been amazing on my 02 since it was installed Spring of 06.

The only issue was a leaky fuel line between the banks (:eek:). Other then that it has been dynod at 360 whp, which makes the car a ton of fun and competitive against bigger boys on the track (not that Im being timed though).

I love it. Love the power. The sound. The reliability. Love it all. Id buy it again in a second. I love how the power comes on - it seems to me as just about a 50% addition to the stock curve. Perfectly linear. Feels perfectly balanced and it fits exactly what I want for the car - feels like stock, just way more.

The only issue I have is that it is really tough to get a reliable oil level reading off of that stick they include. Brutal infact.

I echo the post above saying that it will begin to feel very normal very quickly.

I am constantly checking my belt tightness because it doesnt feel fast anymore. But then down the back straight beside a 911TT or a new Z06, it feels good

I have owned two NSX and one with and one without a CTSC, I have tracked both and still track the CTSC car. What I can tell you is balance is a subjective term, and has a lot to do with your driving style. If you like a car that has slight understear, then you will not feel comfortable in a car with slight overstear. What the CTSC does is give you more torque; the good thing is that it is linear and flat as the stock NA torque curve. This gives you the option of driving the car exactly as stock by using less throttle or like it wants to be driven with the entire throttle.

On a daily driver the torque will allow you to shift less, short shift and pull in higher gears without the need to downshift just to pass someone. The addition of the CTSC will do nothing to change the cornering limits of the car; other mods are needed for this. This extra power on a track or in aggressive street driving can be a problem if you forget that since you are now going faster (do to the increased power) you will need to increase the time needed to break and slow the car prior to entering a corner. When leaving the corner you may have to learn to use less throttle until you are comfortable with controlling power overstear, this is something that a NA NSX has less to worry about.

The CTSC will not transform a NSX in to an uncontrollable beast and you will adjust to the new power very quickly. On the street the adjustment is easy and maybe to easy, within a short period of time the increased power will start to feel less impressive and less fun, then you have two choices. One, go drive a friends NA NSX and wonder how you ever lived with so little torque, or (this one is expensive) take a hit from the "Go Fast Crack Pipe" like the rest of use and start your quest for 500RWHP. The good news is that if you are just thinking about the CTSC you are about 5 years away from the "GFCP" calling your name while you sleep.

You will have no regrets with a CTSC.

Dave

Thank you. It gets my attention now knowing that it'll not lose the control.

Its all been said. great in every way. As always you wont more power but what for???? As someone said the CTSC puts the NSX on par with todays fast cars to a point.

My car is fast and holds its own with the few handling upgrades I have made.

CTSC is both worth it and reliable.

The key to CTSC (or any FI) application is proper installation and tuning. If it's installed by a qualified tech and you get the tuning done right, you will have may trouble free miles.

The SC is great. However, if I had to choose between either the SC alone, or the 4.55 R&P and short gears alone, I would go with the transmission mods hands down. If you can afford it all, then go for it all. If you can only afford one of those two, I would go with the tranny mods. They totally transform the car and make it much more fun to drive.

The SC is great. However, if I had to choose between either the SC alone, or the 4.55 R&P and short gears alone, I would go with the transmission mods hands down. If you can afford it all, then go for it all. If you can only afford one of those two, I would go with the tranny mods. They totally transform the car and make it much more fun to drive.

I went with the transmission mods first. I agree that the car was a whole lot more fun to drive around town. However, after getting the CTSC, I have had a permanent grin on my face!!! :biggrin:

How bad is the 4.55 going down the higway? I put about ~20k miles a year on my NSX and really do alot of highway driving... Otherwise 142k on a 97 w/o any FI and I'm still satisfied says alot! Especially since I also own a 500rwhp E36 M3 :D

Chromatose, you had a 5 speed, right? I think this mod makes a bigger difference in the 5 speed than the 6 speed.

How bad is the 4.55 going down the higway? I put about ~20k miles a year on my NSX and really do alot of highway driving... Otherwise 142k on a 97 w/o any FI and I'm still satisfied says alot! Especially since I also own a 500rwhp E36 M3 :D

Having had both short gears + 4.55 and that with and without the SC, I would never do the tranny mods. The 5th gear cruising SUCKS. At 80 MPH it is nearly 4,000 RPM. No thanks.

The 6-speed is a much better option than doing a short gear + 4.55 IMO.

CTSC, 1.8
AEM, Comptech Headers, DC Muffler & Test Pipes.
40,000 Miles on mine since last tuning by Mike at Autowave.
375 rwhp.
Runs like a clock.

Back