Warning/Scam on NSX for Sale

:eek: I don't know if anyone else out there has been solicited/emailed about a 1993 red NSX for sale. Originally on EBay, "seller" captures your email address & begins to offer the car at a very desirable price. Story goes that he purchased it in the US & has now moved to France, where he cannot get it registered & does not want to pay duty.
He offers to pay shipping via Lulftansa air cargo back to the US, and have a 3rd party hold your funds (Square Trade) until you receive the car & are satisfied. Car will be insured as well.

The Square Trade "web pages" and site that is emailed to "confirm" all verification IS FAKE. Everything looks to be VERY real.
I have not fallen for this very tempting deal, but I am sure some folks may be tempted.
His EBay ID name was "mvajentic", his fake Square Trade ID name is "comolena", he uses VIN# JH4NA1157PT000118 for the car, and his email address is "[email protected]". He goes by the name -Rod Galle
Square Trade, EBay and the FBI have been notified.
Be careful out there!

I have found three to four such cases on carsdirect.com, sounds like the exact same deal. one guy told me the car was in NY and he wanted 11k for it, when I emailed and said I would like to just come and pick it up and pay for it he said "no I have a deal the the Lulftansa and that would mess it up" or something like that. It's total BS and I wish there was more action that could be taken to stop this. hopefully no one falls for this crap. Deals that are too good to be true are just a big red flag that say scam all over it.

This is an e-mail I got from a guy selling his "excellent condition" 97 NSX-T for 19K on autotrader. It has scam written all over it. Sounds similar to other stories i've read.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your interest in my car.I know that you are interested in vehicle located in the US,but I must first tell you that the
car is currently located in London UK.Two months ago I had to move to London with my job ,and I took the car with me.Here in Europe I had an unpleasant surprise,because the car it's an US model,the car will will never pass the European emissions standards(EU4),so I will not be able to register it here.It's also uncomfotable to drive a left steering wheel here.I have tried to sell it locally but it was not succesfully.As you probably saw
this vehicle it's listed in the US,because it's the only place where it could be driven and registered.There will be no further problems because the car passes US emissions standards as long as it has been purchased in US space,and it's an US MODEL.If you are interested in buying it,I will need your zip code so I can estimate shipping and if you are a serious person I will let you know further instructions to finalize the transaction succesfully.I am asking seriousity from your side because I have a lot of persons interested on the car and I have to know each way to go.
Thank you for your time.
Ron.
Ps:The price and mileage are correct.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

pelletz said:
This is an e-mail I got from a guy selling his "excellent condition" 97 NSX-T for 19K on autotrader.
You're referring to this fraudulent listing. I just reported it to Autotrader.

From the Autotrader website:

What should I do if I receive a suspicious email?

If you receive a suspicious email that appears to come from AutoTrader.com:

- Don’t just delete it! Report it to us first.

- Forward any suspicious email message you receive to [email protected].

- Don’t change the subject line or send it as an attachment—doing so could hamper our investigation.

If you’ve been targeted by a spoof email or other form of online fraud, you can also bring it to the attention of federal and state law enforcement agencies by filing a complaint with the Internet Fraud Complaint Center.

Hey i just found this thread when i was looking around... in March 2005 my dad (not the most computer illiterate man) found a GMC denali in perfect condition...same bs story as you have said...but...since the fraud was pretty good (the fake squaretrade) he fell for it and lost quite a bit of money...and he sent the money western union...to greece...might be the only person to fall for it but anyway this rod guy has like 5 aliases and ive been trying to track him down now for a couple of months...its just very difficult because he is probably overseas...does anybody have any leads or ideas? thanks joe.

Back