• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Warning - ACR Motorsports

It makes me sick to have to post this, and I still hope it can get resolved, or there's a misunderstanding, anything!

I was in contact with Alex at ACR Motorsports about a Comptech Widebody kit in June. Since he's a Comptech distributor, and he gave me a 15% discount, I sent him $5, 848.25, in a combination of money order and a check, on 6/25/03.

We've sent several emails back and forth and he told me that there would be a 10-day hold on the order since the check was out of state. The last time I heard from him was 8/5/03 (also the last date that he posted anything on this forum). In that email he said that the check had cleared, my order was being made, and that he would get back to me at the end of the week with a delivery date.

Since 8/5/03 I haven't received answers to my emails, nobody answers the phone, not even an answering machine.

This morning I called Comptech, you guessed it, they have no orders from ACR. Alex, if you're out there, maybe there's been a misunderstanding, maybe Comptech forgot about your order, but do the right thing. Refund my money, or place the order with Comptech, because I'm not going to just forget about nearly $6,000.:mad:

I refuse to deal with any place on a cash basis. Always best to pay by credit card. If they don't take credit cards, then there is probably a reason.

Oh my. This does suck. I wish I could help. I hope the problem is that the phone and computers are still down. :rolleyes: :(

Eric5273 said:
I refuse to deal with any place on a cash basis. Always best to pay by credit card. If they don't take credit cards, then there is probably a reason.
Well, ACR does accept credit cards. You have a good point about the credit cards providing some level of safety. However, on larger purchases (especially where profit margin is low), it may be less attractive since the fees the credit card fees can really cut into profit and this is often passed on to the buyer.

Ouch - sorry to hear that. I guess you didn't search or see my post on 6/10/2003 detailing my pain too:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18372

Lucky for me - my purchase was made through Discover and they stood behind me.

The excuses I have had are as follows:

- My installer cut wages and his people were mad at him
- My phone number changed
- I am moving
- I had electrical problems
- I had trouble with phone service

No stories yet of alien obduction (oops - I just gave Alex a hint!?!).

Needless to say - based on my experiance - I think you better get a lawyer.

;)

Here are some links that might be of use to you:

ACR Info I have:

Company: ACR Motorsports
9272 Jeronimo Road Suite 103
Irvine CA, 92618

Bus: (949) 305-9730
E-mail: [email protected]

We are located in the Irvine Spectrum Business Park, about 2 streets down from the Irvine Spectrum Entertainment Center.

IFCC: Welcome to IFCC

The Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC) is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C).

http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

BBB Online:
http://complaints.bbb.org/Welcome.asp

DIY Legal Protection:
http://www.mylegalprotection.com/

ACR PM: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/private.php?s=&action=newmessage&userid=5031

Last post / profile info: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=5031

Good luck.

I think nsxprime members should email ACR and let them know that we as a community will not do any business with them if they don't straighten these matters out. It's one thing for them to read a few responces on the forum here (if they even do), but it's another to get an inbox full of others sticking up for one of their own.

What do you guys think? Is it futile?

:confused:

Thanks for the sympathy.

I have one consilation. My sister works for the postal service. Since I mailed US Post Office money orders using US Express Mail, this becomes a federal criminal case of mail fraud, with prison terms. I would love to see the expression on his face when the postal investigators come knocking on his door. Claiming bankruptcy will not help him.

PorknBeanz said:

Since 8/5/03 I haven't received answers to my emails, nobody answers the phone, not even an answering machine.

As you state, they don't answer the phone, nor do they have an answering machine. However, they are pretty prompt at responding to an internet inquiry on a possible sale!;)

I'd love to hear their explanation on this thread. I also want a follow-up excuse on Nick's. ACR: if your hearing this; find another job! Sounds like your finished.

ACR contacted me!

Alex gave me an explanation for the response I got from Comptech. Like I said in the begining, I hate doing this, and it may be just a misunderstanding. I will post again when I am able to verify his explanation. Otherwise I remain skeptical.

Of course none of this would have been necessary if I had gotten a response to my emails, or if he answered the phone. So the ball is in his court to provide me with information I can verify.

PorknBeanz said:
ACR contacted me!

Alex gave me an explanation for the response I got from Comptech. Like I said in the begining, I hate doing this, and it may be just a misunderstanding. I will post again when I am able to verify his explanation. Otherwise I remain skeptical.

Of course none of this would have been necessary if I had gotten a response to my emails, or if he answered the phone. So the ball is in his court to provide me with information I can verify.

This is the game he plays IMO. I was promissed a check every week for the removal of the POS he sent as an "ACR tested" tranny. That was MONTHS ago. I wouldn't let the pressure off for a second and pray you ever see that money again.

Good luck to you - keep us posted.

PorknBeanz said:

That's the point. The ball has been in their court for a while, but never took the time to respond to you. Why now? Maybe because you went public on this forum.

UPDATE – The ACR Motorsports website is offline.

Last Monday, 8/18/03 Alex at ACR Motorsports provided an explanation for why Comptech didn’t have an order for my Comptech Widebody kit. I asked Alex to provide information so that I could verify his explanation. After that contact, which I’m sure was prompted by the warning I posted on this forum, I have written two more emails to him, and both have gone unanswered. During the week my sister, a postal employee, discussed this matter with a postmaster, and he concluded that this is definitely mail fraud, a federal criminal offense. On Thursday, 8/20/03 I reminded Alex that it had been three weeks since he promised to give me a delivery date, and I still didn’t have any way to verify his explanation/excuse. Since I still haven’t received a reply, I have turned over copies of all my correspondence, money order receipts, cancelled check, and express mail receipt to the postmaster who will give it to a postal investigator. It is very unfortunate that Alex did this to himself, especially since I gave him the benefit of the doubt and gave him an extra week to dig himself out of this hole.

Alex, since I know that you read this forum, let me explain something I’ve noticed about your business model, as I have some experience with these things. The basic idea is that I give you money, and you provide a service or goods. In this case, I gave you about $6000 and you were to provide a Comptech Widebody kit. Normally you would pay Comptech maybe $5000, and keep the extra $1000 as your profit. Along the way you give me feedback, answer my questions, etc. When the body kit is finished, you or the manufacturer will send the item to me.

It seems that your business model falls apart after the step where I give you money. You are not supposed to keep all of it and disappear! Please re-read the above paragraph for clarification. If you’re still having trouble with the concept, I’m sure the postal investigators will explain it to you in greater detail.

PorknBeanz said:
... I have written two more emails to him, and both have gone unanswered.
He hasn't had any problem replying to e- mail from would-be purchasers though.

This is utterly sickening. :( :mad:

Alex, In the grand scheme of things what difference does $5000 make? Obviously, you don't feel bad about it now, but when you finally get a conscience, how are you going to feel about taking advantage of people who counted on you to provide a service you promised. Needless to say, I will truely never understand this type of behavior. I suppose there's no point trying to.

Is there anyone else besides PorknBeanz and Nick that have been ripped off by ACR (and is willing to come forward)?

I hired an attorney and an investigator to look into the ACR Motorsports story. It appears that Chi-Kuan Chiu alias Alex Chiu is fairly young. He won some kind of leadership award a couple years ago from Orange Coast College. We have his home address and the address of what appears to be his parents. A sheriff will be serving papers on all of them shortly, and we’ll sort out who’s who later.

So far, we’ve filed complaints with the US Post Office for mail fraud, the FBI white collar crime unit for internet fraud, the Orange County DA for consumer fraud, and as soon as we get verification of his bank records, the IRS. In the complaints, we’ve named the parents as co-conspirators. One thing we know for sure, the is guy is an idiot to get into all this trouble for only $6,000. It’s only a matter of time…

I think there are probably dozens of people who he owes money to. Also - he has some kind of dealings in Japan as he was constantly going back and forth.

I hope he hasn't flown the coupe to Japan with your $$$. Good luck - keep us posted.

Wow, ive done alot of business with Alex and this just blows me away, been to his house many times to purchase Nsx stuff. I feel sorry for his Mom, who he lives with, she is a nice lady that teaches paino lessons and seemed to have no idea what Alex was up to with the business, i really feel bad for her. His father isnt even in this country, sure hope Alex gets things straight and gets everyone refunded.

Not too much has happened since last week. I received a call from a Georgetown police detective (I live in Georgetown). He told me that he had been notified by the FBI that this is an active investigation. He gave me the phone number of the assistant DA in Orange County, CA that is handling this case, and I have talked to him.

My sister, who works for the postal service, told me that a postal service investigator has been assigned to this case. I have his number so I'll be talking to him again next week. My mother wrote a check for a portion of the order to ACR as a birthday present to me. Apparently, since she is a senior, this complaint received a higher priority, and "Alex" will receive additional penalties for preying on a senior citizen.

Since this is an active investigation, and because "Alex" reads this forum, I can not give away any more information at this time. I will update when I can.

Back