Want a GREAT sounding inexpensive exhaust?

I tried having my Flowmaster put on this Saturday, but the pipes from the Comptech system would require too much modifications. Instead, my installer asked that I bring my stock exhaust and use that. Im going to try having it done tomorrow... I cant wait to hear how it sounds.
Z

I'll probably drop off the stock NSX exhaust Friday in my Integra, then take the NSX up there Sat. to get the Flowmaster put in. I'll let you guys know my impressions. I have a Comptech, heard a straight flow and a RM exhaust. Will compare after this FM gets put on.
biggrin.gif

Z

Originally posted by 92NSX:
I got a reply back from Flowmaster. They told me that the muffler in question would have to be modified from its current state to fit on the car. I'm refering to the part # that was given at the beginning of this thread.
He did go on to state that he is currently working on a NSX only system that will be for sale in a few weeks?!?!? I asked him to contact me when said product is ready.
I know you get what you pay for, but there is a HUGE difference in $$$ between the Flowmaster and the other brands mentioned.

What is the name of the person you spoke to at Flowmaster. I called Flowmaster today and the Tech guy I spoke to claimed not to know anything about a exhaust in progress for the NSX. I purchased the muffler (part#42585) and was holding off installing it if a NSX specific exhaust is forthcoming. What modifications did your tech suggest were to be done? Is this a full system to the cats or just a muffler with smaller (2") inlet/outlet pipes (Camaro are 2.5")?

[/QUOTE]
What modifications did your tech suggest were to be done? Is this a full system to the cats or just a muffler with smaller (2") inlet/outlet pipes (Camaro are 2.5")?[/B][/QUOTE]

Know nothing of the NSX exhaust in progress. Once again. The muffler mentioned above does NOT have to be altered. The muffler only is replaced and has 2.5 inch inlets and outlets. Muffler shop will have to adapt stock pipes up in size to fit muffler (after cutting stock one out) and basically run new pipe from outlets to tips selected. There's lots of room to do this as the Flowmaster is a smaller than stock muffler. It's not that difficult but takes a little time, the right tools, and knowlege to do it right. Only have this done by a qualified muffler shop capable of doing the work. It's not "plug and play" so do it only if you trust who's doing it.
smile.gif

Originally posted by KellyJoe:
Saturn - I can get a pic posted tomorrow. It will only be from the back though showing the tips. I can't get a good shot underneath and I'm not putting it up on jack stands to do that. A muffler's a muffler anyway. Seen one seen 'em all right?
smile.gif
Wife and I have plans tomorrow along w/ a drive.
biggrin.gif
If you want I can get one next time I bleed brakes or something.

CFNSX - see above.

NoClgDeg - Yes. Dual in and out. No ricey/tinny sounds w/ this one. Maybe a little popping/gurgling downshifting but it's definitely a good sound. On the deep side. Very hard to describe though. Had some kids earlier today describe it as an Indy car. I doubt that very seriously but hey, they seemed to enjoy it.

HOLLYWOOD - Can't find Will's #. Contact him at [email protected] and I'm sure He'll be happy to assist.

Hope this helps. If not, keep questions coming.

This is how I got in touch with the person about the exhaust. I asked him about the flowmaster exhaust and he told me that it would have to be altered to work on the NSX. But, they(Cantrell Concepts) was working on a NSX specific system currently and would have ready very soon.
Sorry if I misled anybody into thinking the system was coming from Flowmaster.
redface.gif

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

For what it's worth-
I had a flowmaster muffler on my NSX for ONE day. Hated it. Was extremely loud and raspy and made alot of popping noise under deceleration.
This has alot to do with the fact that I do not have my catalytic converters installed. I had the flowmaster exhaust made because I heard it on an NSX that DID have the cats in place and it did actually sound nice (not great, but nice.) But I wasn't about to put the cats back on just to make a cheap exhaust sound good.
I ended up going with the comptech exhaust to match the comptech bypass pipes. This setup sounds great for those with more "mature" tastes.
Just my $.02

------------------
'94 NSX black on black
'01 IS300
'93 del Sol -turbo integra powered- SOLD

I got a flow-master exhaust set-up for basically free from a guy that I bought some parts from. It had the dual tip set-up on it, and I'd figure I try it out. It sounds GREAT. Better than any exhaust I've heard on an NSX. It is nearly identical to the Ferrari 355. Very pleased....I'm also the guy who just put my Comptech exhaust for sale.

I would definitely recommend this setup.

Originally posted by emvanderpol:
I got a flow-master exhaust set-up for basically free from a guy that I bought some parts from. It had the dual tip set-up on it, and I'd figure I try it out. It sounds GREAT. Better than any exhaust I've heard on an NSX. It is nearly identical to the Ferrari 355. Very pleased....I'm also the guy who just put my Comptech exhaust for sale.

Glad to hear someone else testify.....
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by emvanderpol:

IS THERE ANYWAY YOU COULD POST SOME SOUND CLIPS AT IDLE, CRUISING, AND FULL THROTTLE?

------------------
91 Red/Ivory #2061
K&N Filter, DC Headers, DaliRacing Chip

I have the flow master and it's great. It sounds so good.I've driven it in a log tunnel and I could do nothing but laugh and smile.

For those who are interested, call me at 760-822-2500. That is my cell phone. I'll be happy to let you hear it.

You guys may think this is a little odd, but since I've got the exhaust I've been out to just start my car to listen to it at least a dozen times. I once heard about the Ferrari guys driving through tunnels just to listen to the car. I now can understand why.

My muffler guy is charging me $40. But I think my install would be simplier than others due to the fact that I already have a Comptech system that already has 2.5 inch piping. They are going to cut out the Comptech can and throw in the FM. The only problem was the Comptech is cross flow, and the FM isn't. So some of the piping has to be bent/fabricated. Anyways, the weather is nice today, so I think I'm finally going to get it installed today!!
biggrin.gif

Z

by the way, this is the problem we were having:

COMPTECH
INLET -----------OUTLET
OUTLET-----------INLET

FLOWMASTER
INLET ------||------INLET
OUTLET-----||------OUTLET

Stock looks something like a mix of both exhausts?, but its has 2 inch pipes, but the FM has 2.5 inch in/outlets!

Hope this helps give you an idea.........
Regards
Z

Originally posted by Saturn:
what is the cost of labor for this modification?

[This message has been edited by NSX FoYoAss (edited 22 February 2003).]

Man, I have bad luck. I still didnt get the FM installed. I'm going to try again next Sat.

KellyJoe, could I get a sound clip also please!!!
Thanks
Z
[email protected]

Back