VVIS from SOS on single Turbo

Just want to share excellent results after installing the VVIS plate from SOS. Not only the fit and quality was excellent but my intake temperature dropped 8F. Car pulls much harder don't have the dyno plot yet but there is a increase in performance for sure. That day I had temp on my AEM 130F and after installing it and driving it was 122F

I dyno my single turbo few weeks back but only with 295hp and 275tq @ 4PSI. I didn't have boost controller, will dyno after this plate and boost controller installed next week.

The engine sound is little louder, it sounds more powerfull ;) and you can hear the engine suction.

Attachments

• turbo-331.jpg
    turbo-331.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,254
Hey David,
Congrats on your custom turbo setup, the results is awesome from just 4 PSI. Do you have the graph of dyno scanned ?
By the way, the shortgears, R/P are in my car at the moment and it works great.

I'm glad that you like the short gears :)

There are two dyno runs one that shows correct HP 295.74 and not correct TQ and the other run showing correct TQ 273.96.

My wastegate spring is too small. I'm getting HKS boost controller now. This wastegate run at 4PSI. Then I got GM boost solenoid to controll the boost with AEM but it is very dificult to configure the boost duty map and error tables. It makes very unstable boost, so I desided to get seperate boost controller insted of the AEM boost controll. My fuel compensation table is done so if I run higher boost I don't have to tune it on dyno again.

Once after playing around with the GM boost solenoid I hit 360HP at around 6PSI

I have the Apexi Rev/Meter so it reads out real time HP to the wheels. No TQ, but when I was on dyno it was very close to dyno -+5HP.

Attachments

• dyno1.jpg
    dyno1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,177
chriswtx said:
Took out my VVIS also. I noticed a seat of the pants improvement and I am NA. I think its a great design for a production car, but once you start to mod its got to go. Next time I dyno we will know for sure.

I would think that you did not gain by removing the VVIS on NA. Unless you have major internal work removing the butterflies will cause you to lose low end torque...I don't see anything in your mod list that makes me think you need less intake velocity and more volume at lower rpms...we've tested this on H22a motors and always lost...

makes sense for turbo...kinda..depends on turbo specs

Even witha turbo, it would seem you still loose much needed torque in lower rpms. With turbo, you would probably pick up more HP at higher RPM's, but I wouldn't want to trade it off for lower end torque for my application. For track, they never see low RPM's except for the start.

seandouble said:
Even witha turbo, it would seem you still loose much needed torque in lower rpms. With turbo, you would probably pick up more HP at higher RPM's, but I wouldn't want to trade it off for lower end torque for my application. For track, they never see low RPM's except for the start.

I would tend to agree with you, I don't think the plates obstruct the flow that much at high rpms...but I don't have the numbers to prove it.

Also from looking at the pics there is now this 'hole' in between the intake runners and the TB opening that used to be covered by the VVIS mechanism. I'd be curious to know how that affects airflow in the plenum as air would swirl around in there for no reason. Boosted I wonder if it would disrupt the flow of air entering via the TB.

This is a nice looking piece and it sure seems like a good upgrade for top end performance. I was unable to find info at Chris' website on this...what is the cost/availability on this item? TIA

I contacted Chris directly and he replied instantly and shipped it even faster :) SOS service is just AWSOME. He said that they have this plate. I forgot what was the exact price but it was some ware around $160

After driving for a while I notice a sweet spot, right before hitting the boost on half throttle. The car just pulls faster. So when in traffic I don't have to run on boost and the car will be very fast. The car just asks to be driven hard :) (million thanks to AEM team for developing ECU for NSX)

Does any one used the thermo-tech header wraps to cool down the engine temps?

I want to use the 2inch thermo wrap and heal it with DEI silicone header paint. Also use thermo floor mats to isolate radiant heat from turbo. To topp it off use 160F thermostat and replace OEM fan with dual aftermarket fans.

The engine bay is noticeably wormer after the turbo upgrade. What else you guys do to cool the engine down?

Thanks,
Dave

PS AEM released version 1.11 firmware last Friday. I upgraded my from 1.03 to 1.11 and it is even better then before. More wizards etc... And they released new base config file for turbo NSX with 440cc injectors, making tunning even more easier.

winreboot said:
Just want to share excellent results after installing the VVIS plate from SOS. Not only the fit and quality was excellent but my intake temperature dropped 8F. Car pulls much harder don't have the dyno plot yet but there is a increase in performance for sure. That day I had temp on my AEM 130F and after installing it and driving it was 122F

I dyno my single turbo few weeks back but only with 295hp and 275tq @ 4PSI. I didn't have boost controller, will dyno after this plate and boost controller installed next week.

Any proven HP gains with this Mod yet?? I read some articles with the Supras increasing plenom chamber size & making big gains. One particular dyno run made 100HP just from increasing the plenom size.

Back