Vtec

At Vtec, the power comes on less noticably then in my s2k. Is that pretty normal for NA2? The S really has a different sound at 6200 rpms along with the power surge. The NSX seems to be a bit more steady throughout the rpm range. Anyone else notice this?

Unfortunatly, the NSX doesnt have that dramatic VTEC feel like the S2k:wink:

At Vtec, the power comes on less noticably then in my s2k. Is that pretty normal for NA2? The S really has a different sound at 6200 rpms along with the power surge. The NSX seems to be a bit more steady throughout the rpm range. Anyone else notice this?

Yup...same with my 02. Doesn't sound crazy like my friend's prelude or gsr.

honda has a dirty little secret on the newer cars.

They drop the HP&Torque before Vtec hits so when it does, it feels like someone is re-arranging the cosmos.

NSX has a very smooth engagement of the Vtec system and is very mild in comparison to the preludes, b16s and the integras where it suddenly gets loud at vtec crossover.

Most of the time i cant even tell on an stock nsx except for the oil pressure dropping.:smile:

How about compared to the DC5-S RSX Type S?

i posted this in another thread recently so I might as well reuse it here...

i had a rsx-s and the kick at changeover was crazy compared to the NSX... here is why...

k20baselinevstuneddyno.gif

the nsx is tuned better from the factory for the changeover. once the rsx is tuned, the dramatic kick goes away.

You will get many varying responses about this topic, an example of which is here. My experience is similar to most of those posting here, in that I can barely notice any VTEC transition at all. And I've tried to notice!

They drop the HP&Torque before Vtec hits so when it does, it feels like someone is re-arranging the cosmos.

I'll second that. Having owned an AP2, I can see the difference comparing the dyno graphs of the two. The perceived kick may not be there, but the benefit of VTEC is.

AP2 kicks in a lot harder than AP1.

My 2003 NSX does not feel the switch after using test pipes, but the power is much stronger after 6k RPM.

I don't think I've ever experienced VTEC like in my GSR, that thing kicks in at 5K and screams to 9,5K... I love every little smoke spewing moment of it.

Unfortunatly, the NSX doesnt have that dramatic VTEC feel like the S2k:wink:

Uhmmm,
You should write: luckily the NSX doesn't have that dramatic VTEC feel like the S2k:rolleyes:

My explanation: with the S2k it is so noticable, because that car is SOOOOO slow until VTEC kicks in. To get any performance from the S2k you MUST push it into VTEC:frown:

For me this was the reason not to buy one having to rev it all the time to get any real performance:mad:
My turboed MX-5/Miata with it's 210-220 bhp is soo much nicer to drive as the power is produced from 3200rpm on meaning it is great fun to drive, having power all the time.
I testdrove the S2k about 5 years ago considering getting that to replace the Turbo MX-5 and I must admit the chassis is brilliant, but the engine ruined it for me. Driving the MX-5 back home felt so much more playful:rolleyes:

Luckily the NSX is acceptably strong/fast in the low revs and this causes it to flow over quite nicely into VTEC, feeling like a strong car all the time with it beeing quite fast when VTEC revs are used, but it is also nice in the lower revs:wink:

As the car that my NSX is a replacement for was a 350 BHP Mitsubishi Evo6 with 0-100 KM/h of about 4.5 sec, I do still feel the NSX could use a bit more "umph" so this is the reason I hope to put a Comptech on shortly to make it really nice and fast):biggrin:

As the car that my NSX is a replacement for was a 350 BHP Mitsubishi Evo6 with 0-100 KM/h of about 4.5 sec, I do still feel the NSX could use a bit more "umph" so this is the reason I hope to put a Comptech on shortly to make it really nice and fast)

Rene,

Yes, we all know how slow your NSX is... :biggrin:

I have a AP-22 acceleration meter. If you are interested, maybe we could do some 0-100 km/h or 0-160 km/h runs (or 10-100 and 10-160 if you want to save your clutch) with your car. Then you will have a baseline to compare your car to once you have your CTSC installed.

Rene,

Yes, we all know how slow your NSX is... :biggrin:

Too bad I don't have the Evo anymore.... i would have smoked you with it!!! (bragging mode on)

Sure I'm in for the AP-22 test Maarten, also curious what the numbers on your car will be like (as butt-o-meter feeling is, that yours is quite quick).

However, this will have to wait for a week or so as while changing the timing belt on the NSX yesterday, somehow we almost certainly messed up the cranck timing by 1 notch while tensioning it up. :frown: So even though it is running and drivable at the moment, it is not too well, but will hopefully be remidied in a few days.
By the way: put in a new thermostat as the old one WAS defective, it took like 10 KM to warm up before (with lots of people telling me this was acceptable/normal), now it takes just about 2-3 km!:rolleyes:

Back