Virus Warning....Read

Wow! I just received this email and didn't know who the person was who sent it. I even asked the wife if she knew the sender, didn't ring a bell. I deleted it and never thought about it. When I read this warning and saw that the begining text was "Hi, how are you?", and the ending was "See you later, Thanks", a chill ran down my spine. This is what the email began and ended with. In the middle it also included, "I send you this in order to have your advice", as the write up also says. Damn, I'm glad that I didn't open that email. Believe me, when it said, "need your advice", it was pretty tempting
redface.gif
. Be careful out there, John.

I have received a total of 5 of these emails within the last couple days. It's scanned and deleted before it ever reaches my machine, but I see the cleaned email. It must be rampant!

CRAP, I have like 12 of those that came in during the last few days. I downloaded McAffee Virus cleaner to see if they were virus' but it said I was clean.
DANGIT.

I've gotten some too. You don't have the virus just because you RECEIVE these e-mails. You have it if you're SENDING them.

Keep your virus definitions up to date. (Norton Anti-Virus added the definition for this virus on July 17.) And if you're using a product like Microsoft Outlook, you might want to install the security patch that prevents you from receiving e-mail attachments of the types most frequently used to carry viruses.

Fortunately, I am very suspicious by nature because I got several e-mails with the virus attachments yesterday (none from anyone I personally knew).

Downloaded the latest virus defs for Norton Antivirus last night.

And today, seven more such e-mails appeared. Annoying.

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 24 July 2001).]

I have used several cleaner programs that have said my machine is clean but now my firewall keeps stopping a file called "sirc32.exe" from accessing the internet.

Is this the virus program?? And if so, how do I get rid of it?

It's kind of a scary thought how if all computers in the world eventaually are running Windows and interconnected via the net (MS's manifest destiny), then what would happen if a virus quickly spread though all (most) of them in a very short period of time?

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 04 August 2001).]

There is something to be said for diversity of computing systems, but this point seems to be lost on most of the general public.

But there many strong counterarguments for having a very small number of common operating systems. For example, look at all the software that is available to operate under Windows. Most of it would never exist were it not for the large customer base using that operating system.

If 95 percent of the general public were using Linux instead of Windows, the hackers would be creating viruses that would spread under Linux.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
But there many strong counterarguments for having a very small number of common operating systems. For example, look at all the software that is available to operate under Windows. Most of it would never exist were it not for the large customer base using that operating system.

The solution to this problem is true open standards with multiple implementations available of those standards. Examples of this include the different TCP/IP implementations available in various operating systems. Or the various browsers available that all render HTML such as IE, Netscape, Mozilla, Opera, etc.

If 95 percent of the general public were using Linux instead of Windows, the hackers would be creating viruses that would spread under Linux.

While I agree it is true that many virus authors target Windows because of the large user base, that does not tell the whole story. Windows itself (especially the 95/98/ME series) is much less secure than any distribution of Linux I've seen.

In Windows, the user generally runs everything as the adminstrator with full privledges, allowing a virus to do maximum damage if it so desires. By contrast, in Linux (and other Unix-like systems) the user runs with significantly less privledges, so the potential for viruses to spread and cause massive damage is greatly lessened.

The frequent use of MS Outlook as an e-mail client and it's lack of security is an even bigger problem.

Here's an interesting article on the subject of Windows and Outlook security: http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20010802.html

All Microsoft cares about is increasing market share-- they won't waste their time making things secure. (Especially since their user base holds them nearly blameless.)

But Microsoft does deserve at least part of the blame for many of these virus outbreaks. It'd be like parking your NSX in a seedy part of downtown with the key in the ignition, car running, and all the doors open. Then when someone steals it, you claim no responsibility whatsoever for what happened.

BTW, Lud: It appears you accidentily edited my previous message when you really meant to click the "reply" button. While I don't disagree with the content, it definitely wasn't written by me!

[This message has been edited by BB (edited 04 August 2001).]

Originally posted by BB:
BTW, Lud: It appears you accidentily edited my previous message when you really meant to click the "reply" button. While I don't disagree with the content, it definitely wasn't written by me!

Oops! Sorry about that. Is it fixed now?

Here is the message I was meant to add as a new reply:

I am fairly concerned about the combination of:

1) the proliferation of broadband access to the home

2) people with #1 not having a proper firewall setup and

3) the wide-open nature of many default OS installs, particularly the forthcoming Windows XP

I really think we are going to see some major DDOS attacks using John & Jane Home User's new cable/DSL/etc. connection which they and their kids enjoy so much for fast internet access but they don't have the first clue about firewalls, security, etc.

Originally posted by Lud:
I really think we are going to see some major DDOS attacks using John & Jane Home User's new cable/DSL/etc. connection which they and their kids enjoy so much for fast internet access but they don't have the first clue about firewalls, security, etc.

Already happening. Interesting article on ddos attacks here. Take a look at the number of machines used in the attack and, in particular, the number of machines that were home, roadrunner, and similar cable network users.

------------------
The NSX Model List Page

[This message has been edited by lemansnsx (edited 04 August 2001).]

What a great article. Long but worth the read. Does mircosoft even acknowledge that xp or 2000 is a potential problem? I could feel this guys fustration.

Originally posted by BB:
It's kind of a scary thought how if all computers in the world eventaually are running Windows and interconnected via the net

One of the nice benefits of using a Mac (aside from being faster and easier to use) and not using Outlook, is I have no problem with all the viruses that have everyone else in a panic. I only use the most basic anti-virus protection (Norton) and I have NEVER had a virus infect me via e-mail.

Back