Viper GTS?

I had the opportunity to drive a Viper GTS that is owned by another board member this weekend, just curious what other folks who have driven them think.

I didn't drive it much or hard, but my impressions are that the seating position is rather weird without much visibility. The feel of driving it just wasn't that fun, the gearbox felt awful, the steering wasn't very direct. The handling is great but I couldn't really feel it. Obviously it's one fast car that can't be laughed at, but the experience of driving it just didn't seem that fun, but perhaps with time it does.

Last edited:
I've given serious consideration of buying a GTS ACR before. After the testdrive at Dodge, I changed my mind. The car looks great and very aggressive, IMO.

However, the driving position gave me a backache. The position of the driver's lower body felt awkward during my testdrive. All the pedals were positioned further to the left relative to other cars. The clutch was loooooooooooooooooooooog.....

I had to take breaks in between the testdrive to regain my back or I would've been paralyzed....:)

The price has dropped significantly..$20k from MSRP for the remaining 2002 ACR models. That's what prompted me to go for the drive.

The car was powerful but without knowing it's limits, I didn't kill during the tight corners.

I also looked at the new SRT-10. I have to give them credit for designing such a beauty. The seating and driving position has improved 1,000,000% I say go for that instead....my friend called it the S2000 on steriods.

there's a member here who had a viper coupe(98 i think?). it was really good looking in person. However, as a daily driver he only had it about a year. Traded it back in for nsx. dont want to speak for him; Randall, where are you??

huckster said:
there's a member here who had a viper coupe(98 i think?). it was really good looking in person. However, as a daily driver he only had it about a year. Traded it back in for nsx. dont want to speak for him; Randall, where are you??
my black '00 gts was awesome!after i raised the seat one inch in the front,had custon pedals made,added short throw shifter and installed a corsa exhaust system on it!
i wasn't planning on getting rid of it till a saw my '02 longbeach blue with chromes sitting at the dealership!just had to have it!plus i was getting tired of taking care of BLACK!now my neighbors can't hear me comming so i ordered the taitec from s.o.s.,SHOULD GET HERE SOON I HOPE!if i had the garage space i'd both a viper and a nsx.

Randall- I've seen your change over on the other forums, I hope you have good experiences with your NSX.

I've driven a couple GTS and Rt10's. The driving position is fine to me, and the car didnt seem big at all, with brute power that no one can describe, it's amazing. Regardless of what everyone says about daily drivers a friend of mine drives his daily and has had no major problems, similar to this car, take car of what needs to be taken care of on time, don't skimp on parts/tires, etc. and you should be ok.

You see this car your rear view mirror and it looks VERY intimidating, like "get out of my way!" I plan to get one in the next few years but still enjoy my car too much.

i loved pulling up to vette guys!they wouldn't even make eye contact with the fear of getting the race nod!:) i kinda miss that.
everone wants to race the nsx,had a guy last week in his service van trying to race me.:( he kept reving his engine next to me.:(

HAH- I could imagine pulling up to anything in the Viper. Seemes like the driver would just sulk in his seat.

I get the exact opposite, no one wants to race me (not that I try to) I pull up to a nice M3 the other day just to apprecaite his car, and he wouldnt look over thinking I was trying to race him or something.

To get the correct driving position you need to adjust the pedals with the knob under the dash that moves them closer or farther away. Then get the seat position correct and go have some fun. (96 and newer have the pedal adjuster)

Attachments

• vip1-01.jpeg
    vip1-01.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 625
>>>...but the experience of driving it just didn't seem that fun, but perhaps with time it does.

It's pretty simple. That's because you drive an NSX. It's called being spoiled. If you drive a car that drives better than an NSX, be sure to let us know what it is. I won't hold my breath.:)

- Richard

WIldman- I know about "driving" the NSX. THe viper yes is less refined, but is also maybe even more "driven" than ours. You pay more attention to it overall in corners, torque, power and so on. That is what I think "driving" is, not just get in the car put it in 1st and go.

Most of the road racing track events are dominated by Vipers, unfortunately not as many NSX's show up usually.

A friend of mine took delivery of this beast!!!!
He is campainging it in the Speed World Challenge this year. Keep a look out for it. My partner and I are deisgning the livery.

Attachments

• viper_3/4_front_lr.jpg
    viper_3/4_front_lr.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 561
hondaholic said:
A friend of mine took delivery of this beast!!!!
He is campainging it in the Speed World Challenge this year. Keep a look out for it. My partner and I are deisgning the livery.
is that the new comp coupe w/ out paint?WOW!I WANT ONE!

A good friend of mine has a 2000 Viper R/T. He let me drive it and the power was indescribable. He has a few mods to make it over 500 hp. It also draws a lot more attention than the NSX and everyone wants to race. However, it just felt too big and bulky. It was nice having all that power, but it just wasn't as fun or nimble as the NSX.

viper spray said:
To get the correct driving position you need to adjust the pedals with the knob under the dash that moves them closer or farther away. Then get the seat position correct and go have some fun. (96 and newer have the pedal adjuster)
viperspray,even w/ the adj. pedals the driving position was not good.when i would adj. the pedals forward so i could push the clutch pedal all the way down,the gas pedal would be too close and i didn't like driving around with my knee in the air off of the seat.that is why i had ZAF custom make me an one inch spacer.

randall said:
viperspray,even w/ the adj. pedals the driving position was not good.when i would adj. the pedals forward so i could push the clutch pedal all the way down,the gas pedal would be too close and i didn't like driving around with my knee in the air off of the seat.that is why i had ZAF custom make me an one inch spacer.
Good idea, as you know , body size makes a big difference. These guys would not fit in my car.

Attachments

• fd19ab0b.gif
    fd19ab0b.gif
    41.2 KB · Views: 539
randall said:
is that the new comp coupe w/ out paint?WOW!I WANT ONE!

Yes it is. That is exactly how it was delivered. It's now been painted black until we finalize the race livery.

hondaholic: Nice pic! Should look interesting when finished. :)

viper spray: Is that blue GTS yours? If not, how about posting some pics of your Vipers? I'm a Viper fan; almost bought one instead of the X. (Wish I had enough $$$ to buy both!)

PHOEN$X said:
hondaholic: Nice pic! Should look interesting when finished. :)

viper spray: Is that blue GTS yours? If not, how about posting some pics of your Vipers? I'm a Viper fan; almost bought one instead of the X. (Wish I had enough $$$ to buy both!)
My Blue car's sound system

Attachments

• dsc00003.jpg
    dsc00003.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 514
Hi Viper Spray,

Your engine is very nice and fyi my comments about your "truck" engine in the topic which has been deleted was a joke ! ;)

I am a Viper fan too and I would be happy to have enough $$$ to own the NSX and a clown sh.., oops sorry :D a Viper ! :D

On the other hand, I am not a fan of BIG sound system, especially in sportscar, but hey...it's your car, your money...do what you want !

Regards,

David

Enzo said:
Hi Viper Spray,

Your engine is very nice and fyi my comments about your "truck" engine in the topic which has been deleted was a joke ! ;)

I am a Viper fan too and I would be happy to have enough $$$ to own the NSX and a clown sh.., oops sorry :D a Viper ! :D

On the other hand, I am not a fan of BIG sound system, especially in sportscar, but hey...it's your car, your money...do what you want !

Regards,

David
No prob. , I know the truck has a version of my motor, and I like aspects of the NSX . The sound system was in it when I bought it. The guy who sold it to me put $12,000 into the stereo and radar detection system two weeks before he sold it to me, I would have done the supercharger first, but that will come next year.:cool: :D :D

Attachments

• vba69e6d340.gif
    vba69e6d340.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 492
Back