Very determined new owner ('05) and my "Acura Diet"

Well, I pulled the trigger on a beautiful '05 Silver NSX this week-end, after many years of admiring the NSXs on the rare occasions when I saw them.

I started to seriously start my search for one about six months ago, in no particular hurry. I saw three NSXs at a car show in Columbus, Ohio a few weeks ago. The car I bought was owned by Acura of Columbus, but there were no salesmen around, so I didn't have a chance to thoroughly check it out.

I knew that my biggest challenge was whether or not I could fit in the car. At 6' 5" and considerably heavier than I care to admit, I was pretty skeptical. But since I have an '02 Corvette and the fit is fine, I was hopeful that I could make it work.

On the next week-end I made the five hour drive back to Columbus from my home town of Bowling Green, KY (home of the Corvette) to find out for sure. I knew that I would buy the car if I could fit. It only took a few minutes "shoe horning" myself into the car until it was obvious that there was virtually no way that it would work. The headroom needed at least 2-3" more, and my size 13 shoes could not safely engage the pedals without overlapping. Extremely distraught, I made the journey back home.

Not to be one to give up very easily, I came to this forum looking for answers. My thread, "How can a 6'5" guy fit into an NSX"? gave me insight into the problem, and I concluded that with seat modification (Dali cushion) and making some pedal adjustments, I could just barely make it work, but with one caveat. I need to lose 50 - 60 pounds! Thus began what I am calling my "Acura Diet" !!!

During this time, I was continuing to negotiate with the Acura dealership, hoping the car would not be sold to someone else while I tried to figure out how to make it work. After all, the car only has 1542 miles on it and I didn't know if I could ever find another one like it. The manager at Acura told me that he had never seen anyone who was as determined as I was to buy an NSX !!!

The bottom line, I picked up my beautiful NSX this week-end and hauled it back to Kentucky in my enclosed trailer. It is in my garage, under cover, where it will stay for the next few months. Next month I will get the seat and pedal adjustments made. I have already ordered new wheels and tires and, of course, started my diet and exercise program !

My goal is to be driving my NSX by the end of the year, kind of like my own reward for getting back in shape!

I am very happy to have joined this forum. There are some very knowledgeable people here, and I look forward to meeting some of the members somewhere down the road.

Thanks again for all the good advice !!!

Congratulations on your new NSX. You'll be driving it in no time. The wait will be worth it, and your better health will be a great bonus.

This is a great post. Congrats to you and good luck on your quest to lose weight. Just make sure you do things the healthy way with good diet and excercise. Try to stay away from the pills that get you all amped up and make your mind crazy.

Good luck to you. Post pics of the car when you can.

wow... that's what I'm talking about. Someone that wants an 05 Silverstone so bad that he is willing to change his whole lifestyle for it. That's the kind of owner we like around here.

Hey WingZ, are you reading this?!!!

Congrats on what is the finest car on the planet. I am about to go and write a thread on my ownership experience now...

P.S. I am pretty sure that installing your own mods can be good excercise.

Congratulations!

Lucky for you, you bought yours just in time for NSXPO 2007! NSXPO is the annual national event of the NSX Club of America, in which 100+ NSXs and their owners come from all over the country for social activities as well as a racetrack event. It's in a different location each year, and this year it's very close to home for you, with the social activities based in Columbus Oct 5-7 and the track event at Mid-Ohio Oct 8-9. Join the club and come to NSXPO - it's the most fun you'll ever have in your NSX (with your clothes on, anyway :wink: )!

Thats some good motivation to help u lose weight. :smile:

You can go ahead and take the whole cushion out for now. Its not bad for short periods. If you can find some thin foam u can add that to help if you have any room.

LOL. I think I lost a few lbs doing my headers/exhaust.

Good for you.

Good luck with the weight loss and ensuing lifestyle change. Beyond the fact that it's a great way to help you fit better into an outstanding car, it's just plain good for you and your family.

Nice pre-purchase story. Congratualtions on your purchase, and welcome aboard. I guess you have a really good incentive to stick with your Acura diet. Your bloodpressure will probably go down from the weight lost, but will increase from driving the NSX.:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Good color. :wink:

Also, congrats on your new health initiative.

Some pointers:

Eat five or six small meals a day, not 3 big ones.
Drink tons of water.
Do thirty minutes of constant activity every day. (Elliptical, stair stepper, or even good old fashioned brisk walking)
Increase your protein intake. A good quality protein shake 2 or three times daily is a good way to do this.
Consistency is key. You'll probably struggle for the first several weeks. Once you start seeing results, though, it gets addictive. The first 6-8 weeks are the hardest. Just go and take a peek under the car cover when you are feeling challenged.

Best of luck and congrats on the car.

Wish you the best with your new nsx and acura diet.

You can do it. The joy of the NSX combined with the change in your lifestyle will add many years to your life.

There is an ENORMOUS amont of information to help you. -www.bodybuildingforums.com-. The best part is the more overweight you are, the faster your progress will show! Many people with leaner bodies [mine is earned and still a work in progress] must have 10 times the dedication to lose the same lbs over the same time period. I'm letting you know this to reinforce that not only is it feasible, it's important to keep the attitude that tons of other people already have done it with a steeper grade to overcome.

Good luck. A hand full of dedication and a wheel barrow full of discipline can move mountains.

But since I have an '02 Corvette and the fit is fine, I was hopeful that I could make it work.

Congrats NVR. I'm a Newbie here myself. Can you give us a comparision between the 02 Vette and the NSX. I used to own an 02 Z06 and I'm now looking at a NA2 NSX.

thanks

Congratulations on your purchase. Great choice in your/model/color (same as mine). :D And I know exactly what you mean about trouble fitting into the NSX. I'm only 6' but and weigh more than I'd like to admit which made for a tight fit. I too went on a diet to fit into the car easier; and it worked. :D

Congratulations on your purchase. Great choice in your/model/color (same as mine). :D And I know exactly what you mean about trouble fitting into the NSX. I'm only 6' but and weigh more than I'd like to admit which made for a tight fit. I too went on a diet to fit into the car easier; and it worked. :D

Gary,
But you got to stop eating at Hooters; looking is fine (no calories):biggrin:
Has the bodyshop start repairing your NSX yet?:smile:

Gary,
But you got to stop eating at Hooters; looking is fine (no calories):biggrin:
Has the bodyshop start repairing your NSX yet?:smile:

lol... btw, I jump back on the diet almost two weeks ago and it has already paid off... even after eating at Hooters. Maybe I gathered extra motivation there? :D

Yes, bodyshop has already started repairs...

Congrats on your purchase!!! It will make it all worth it when you start driving it trust me!

As far as weight loss You will get addicted to it very quickly. Like silverstone05 said his Opinions are great. I do all of those things. ( Amplify) is a great protein shake. I work out m-f for an hour each day. I have lost 37 lbs since may 20th. The more weight I loose the better I fit in the nsx and the more fun it is to drive.

Gooood Luck!!!! and welcome to the club!

Brian

Congrats on your purchase!!! It will make it all worth it when you start driving it trust me!

As far as weight loss You will get addicted to it very quickly. Like silverstone05 said his Opinions are great. I do all of those things. ( Amplify) is a great protein shake. I work out m-f for an hour each day. I have lost 37 lbs since may 20th. The more weight I loose the better I fit in the nsx and the more fun it is to drive.

Gooood Luck!!!! and welcome to the club!

Brian

It's also the best/cheapest way to decrease the weight to hp ratio on your NSX (with driver).:smile:

Welcome and congratulations on the car purchase...as well as the determination to lose the weight. It's funny that you admit to being overweight (and have been for a while), but nothing motivated you enough to do anything about it except for the desire to fit in a car, that you didn't own at first! Buying the car 1st is definately going to force you to do well with your diet. It actually makes me smile that you went out of your way for this car. :smile: Good luck to you!

What a great story. I'm proud of you for making the commitment to change yourself instead of selling the car. I wish you the best of luck. I'm 6'1, and a little heavy myself. I think the best weight reduction I can do for my car right now is to lose weight myself.

- Kyle

P.S. I wear size 13 shoes. They fit fine.

wow... that's what I'm talking about. Someone that wants an 05 Silverstone so bad that he is willing to change his whole lifestyle for it. That's the kind of owner we like around here.

Hey WingZ, are you reading this?!!!

Congrats on what is the finest car on the planet. I am about to go and write a thread on my ownership experience now...

I 100% agree here. The very best way to lose some weight is to start modding the X. The wallet just keeps getting thinner and thinner.:biggrin:

Back