UPDATE: StopTech Big Brake Kit

Hi Guys-
I was at StopTech on Monday for the first test fit of their new big brake kit for the NSX. The fronts are good to go but the rears will require a bit more development before they are ready for production. The owner of Gruppe M was there to oversee the install. He has been the one pushing for a full 4-wheel kit but it looks like the kit will become available in stages... 1- full 4-wheel kit with parking brake. 2- front only kit. 3(possibly)- front kit and large rear rotor with relocating bracket for the factory caliper. They plan to have at least the front kit on my car for the nsxprime canyon run on June 8th... but for those that just can't wait.....
mike05.jpg

mike04.jpg

Last edited:
Mike,

the kit looks great!

I'm glad to hear that they finally took my advise to make the larger rotor and caliper relocation kit for the rear as an option as well. This should help many of you guys out...

I guess I won't be having the full kit for a little while longer.

Allen

Looks nice. I assume they will make them in different colors as well.

Is this a 13" or will it fit the oem 16" front wheels as well (with spacers if necessary)?

no need for a spacer. the offset is +41.
and no.. the tire isn't flat. take a closer look.

they come in black and red as of right now.
13" rotor.

Last edited:
j14nsx said:
Looks like an easy kit to install. Just a hammer needed right?:D
hahaha. yea just pound on the fender a few times and the kit is installed and ready to go!

Tantheman said:

I'm thinking of painting the wilwood logo to Monaco Blue Pearl as well, or should I go with Silver?

Tan

Silver! As much as I like MBP (and I really like it), silver would show up much better and complement the wheels.

Tan, post on your own "Should I paint my Wilwood caliper Monaco" thread. Jeez.

Ponyboy said:
Tan, post on your own "Should I paint my Wilwood caliper Monaco" thread. Jeez.

Since nsxtasy is the record poster, Tantheman is going for the record of most posted pics of his car!
winknudge.gif

Tantheman said:

I'm thinking of painting the wilwood logo to Monaco Blue Pearl as well, or should I go with Silver?

Tan
[/QUOTE

Tan,

I have the same wheels you do with 41 offset front and 42 offset rear - 17x8 front and 18x9 rear. Do you know what big brake kits fit those wheels? I got Pirelli P Zero Nero tires on them and I believe they are the most incredible tires I've ever owned on any car! period!! The ride is so cushy it rivals my daily driver - 2000 3.5 RL with 18 inchers and Bridgestone SO-3 tires - yet, the tires stick like glue and communicate every single nuance taking place as you go around the corners - just great!!

I've always heard that the Yokos (I went through two sets of them before the Neros) were "designed for the car", "best feel", "best turn-in", one for "each corner", etc. etc. Tires have come a long way since those were designed!! These are far superior in every category. My car is a new car with these tires, I just love it!! Turn in is better and crisper, communication is much better, ride is unbelievable, what can I say. This is the tire I will keep on my NSX forever - or until something better comes along :D :D

These brake kits are lighter than the OEM units, so effortless steering is a given upon putting on these great brake kits. I do not track the car, the tires, rims and brakes are more mainly for styling.

Thanks,
Tan

In an effort to keep this thread on topic, I'd like to ask a question for the original poster. :rolleyes: Will Stoptech be doing any before and after testing for their kit? The gentlemen I spoke to over the phone said they were but I'm not sure if he was saying that just because I was interested or what. But I'd like to get some objective results of the Stoptech kit.

Did i miss where the Wilwood kit came from? Is this a one off deal or what? Thanks for the info.

Ponyboy said:
In an effort to keep this thread on topic, I'd like to ask a question for the original poster. :rolleyes: Will Stoptech be doing any before and after testing for their kit? The gentlemen I spoke to over the phone said they were but I'm not sure if he was saying that just because I was interested or what. But I'd like to get some objective results of the Stoptech kit.
Yes.. there will be some before and after testing done with the kit.
Results will be posted within a couple weeks.

Any new info on the NSX front kit? I did the measurements last night and it looks like I'll have to get a 5mm spacer for it to fit my wheels. Which presents another dilemma altogether. Arrgghh.

IMG_4269.JPG

Dreaded brake dive. 5mm more and I could be tearing my fender up. Looks like I need a stiffer suspension. Anyway, a new 350Z Track Model (with Hoosiers) was braking very well - at the very least as good as I was. Which leads me to believe the stock NSX brakes with Ecsta V700's, Stoptech rotors, SS lines, and Ferodo DS3000 pads isn't as good as I thought.

So any new news?:)

Ponyboy said:
Anyway, a new 350Z Track Model (with Hoosiers) was braking very well - at the very least as good as I was. Which leads me to believe the stock NSX brakes with Ecsta V700's, Stoptech rotors, SS lines, and Ferodo DS3000 pads isn't as good as I thought.

So any new news?:)

You probably already know this, but the Track model comes with a Brembo big-brake kit from the factory, so I wouldn't be all that shocked that it outbrakes the combination you have on your car, although I guess people do think highly of the setup you describe.

Adequate cooling is probably more important than a big brake kit in general terms, but I could be wrong. :)

Adequate cooling is probably more important than a big brake kit in general terms,

Cooling is what we're all striving for, isn't it?;) With more heatsoak capability, a BBK will do precisely that.

Back