Unofficial Prime S2000 owner roll call

Well, the S2000 is an Asian car made for an Asian market.....and statisticly Asians are much smaller stature then typical white Americans, both in height and width.

In fact, I believe reading that Honda actually widend the seats for the US cars even.

Don't know if I agree with you on this, but keep in mind that there are a lot more S2000's imported to the U.S. alone than all sales in the Asian market combined. Makes no sense, does it? ;) I think the seats were made snug to tightly fit the driver to the car, like wearing a glove. One of Uehara's definition of a real sports car.

Aren't all cockpits of real race cars made with tightly-fitting seats? :)

I hate to play devil's advocate, but there are a few things I can't stand about the S2k. I hate the absolute absence of torque when I accelerate from a dead stop. Sometimes I feel like I have to ride the clutch or rev the engine and pop the clutch just to get the car to move like any other car. The car feels unstable at high speeds. Wet handling leaves alot to be desired.

I'm not flaming you in anyway, but I see these "faults" you described as charms. The lack of torque provided more opportunities for me to hone my downshifting skills on a daily-driven basis. Would you believe me if I told you I learned how to smoothly rev-match AND H&T downshifts instinctively, without a hitch, in only a week of my s2k ownership? I had no prior knowledge of proper downshifting - decided to try it after watching Gan-san doing it in BM videos. The quirkiness of the car at high speeds and wet handling forced me to put more emphasis on feeling the car's grip and balance by the seat of the pants and quicker reflexes whenever the rear end breaks loose. For me, I have nothing but gratitude for these "faults". :p JMO. :)

maybe someone of you has front lip from 2005 s2000 or smth we would like to make it in cf if someone could lend :wink:

That being said, before I get flamed. What are some NOT TOO expensive mods to up the torque, tighten up the handling, and give me more top reliability?

Thus far, my research suggests I should get a cooler running thermostat; the crossbar beam under the car, a fat front sway bar, hardtop latches for the topper, and better tires than the factory SO2s. Any further suggestions? Suspension?

I'm assuming most of you guys have had more experience with an S2K than I so I would appreciate any advice.

To "up the torque", just get a numerically higher gearset for the rear. Stock for an AP2 S2000 is 4.10 - kick it up to 4.44, 4.57, or even the hardcore 4.77 and you'll see a noticeable improvement in down-low driveability. I think you actually have an AP1 (2000-2003 model year) S2000, but it won't matter - you can still get the above gear sets.

The cooler thermostat with a fan switch is a great idea to keep the car running at lower temps.

A fat front swaybar is going to stiffen the front end, making the car understeer more. Is that what you want? It's certainly safer for most people but it's not really "sporty".

You'll be hard pressed to find better dry-grip tires than the S-02s that come with the AP1 S2000s, unless you go with semi-slick tires. You can always add wider tires to give a bit more grip...

Ultimately, if you want a better handling car, a set of adjustable coilovers would probably be your best bet (in conjuction with a proper alignment). Lighter wheels with wider tires would also give an improvement if done correctly.

I hate to play devil's advocate, but there are a few things I can't stand about the S2k. The car feels unstable at high speeds. Wet handling leaves alot to be desired.

The handling can be fixed by replacing the S0-2 tires w/ RE050 that came on the AP2. The RE050 makes a huge difference in the handling (not sure if they come in AP1 sizes though; you'd have to check).

I have an '05 Suzuka and sort-of, an '01 Silverstone. I bought the '01 Silverstone in March of 2001 and then got the '05 Suzuka in November 2004. I couldn't part with the Silverstone so I made my husband promise to keep it.

Right now, my Suzuka is down awaiting a new differential so I'm driving my ex-to-be's Silverstone. Nice of him to let me drive it while he plays on Kauai. :)

The handling can be fixed by replacing the S0-2 tires w/ RE050 that came on the AP2. The RE050 makes a huge difference in the handling (not sure if they come in AP1 sizes though; you'd have to check).

The RE050 are not as grippy as the stock S-02s, they're only better in the wet (and hence a better all-weather tire). They're also wider overall, which helps with the rear grip (reducing oversteer).

You guys suck ! I am so jealous and I miss my AP2 S2000. I am thinking of selling my Triumph TR6 and buying another S2000. I should be able to get at least 18K for my Triumph so maybe I'll take another plunge.

You have an NSX with turbo - how can you be jealous?

The only thing we have that you don't is a drop top. Otherwise, you've got us beat in just about every other area.

Hey All

I'm in this club as well with a Lagune Seca Blue S2K. Notice the NSX wheels:biggrin:

S2KwithNSXwheels.jpg

didn't know it would fit. :tongue:

didn't know it would fit. :tongue:

Yeah they fit great and as soon as they start selling the Bridgestone Re070 in sizes for the S2000CR the tires will fit on the rear better. Just using the stock tires for now. Funny thing is the wheel caps from the stock wheels fit perfectly on the NSX wheels so any of you doing the rebadge might save money this way.

Blue, huh? Sorry to hear that.

You know Silverstone is the best color on the S2000. :biggrin: Just messin' w/ you. Figured why not continue the Blue/Silver debate w/ the S2000 too. :tongue:

I agree the silverstone is great to have your car go unoticed or overshadowed when the Blue pulls up:biggrin:

I have a Silverstone S2000, but I do have to admit, the Laguna Seca Blue looks really nice in person on the S2000.

LOL I'll bet the Silverstone guys feel this way about LBBP NSX as well:wink:

The battle continues!

Thanks for the tip guys. Yes I have an early year S2K, 2001. Yes, I'm aware that some of the "faults":tongue: I described can be considered as trade offs to a high revving sporty li'l car like the S2K. But, She's actually my daily driver:biggrin:

Yes, I know the SO2's are great gripping in the dry. In fact, I love driving the S2000 on a dry day, top down, music blasting (did I mention the stock audio system is kinda crap? LMAO). Still, I live in Miami, where it will rain one minute, be sunny the next, then rain again. OR it will rain all day for days straight. Having a tires that are not so great in the wet, on a car that has slight oversteer, isn't a desirable trait for a daily driver.

I will try out the Bridgestones mentioned above; however, is the RE050 to be better than the Goodyear F1 GS-D3??

YES, I've seen much talk of changin the gearsets. I will research the 4.57. It seems changing the I/H/E only yields small results considering the engine has been tuned pretty tight from factory.

Don't get me wrong, the S2000 is a bangin' car. I just want to tighten things up a bit to make a proper daily/race driven car.:biggrin:

The F1 GS-D3 are great in the wet - about as good as it gets these days. They also last longer than the RE050s, based on what I've read.

That said, they don't quite grip as much in the dry, so there is an obvious tradeoff. They're a narrower tire, as well, so a 245 is more like a 235 or 225 in some other tires. ;)

Back