Unexpected Visitors

This flock of turkeys arrived in my back yard this morning - this is only about half of them! Actually not completely unexpected as they come every year, but this is first sighting of the "new" arrivals.
Maybe not interesting to many but I thought it was a nice picture.

Attachments

• turkey5.jpg
    turkey5.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 474
It is an awesome picture, as I am very interested in turkey. However, the first thing that cross my mind when I see them is how good they are going to taste if cook properly. Better grab the 7.62mm.

What the....

Is there a turkey farm near you?
I know they can't fly so it's not like they migrate over our heads or anything.

They just show up like that similar to pigeons?

Joel said:
What the....

Is there a turkey farm near you?
I know they can't fly so it's not like they migrate over our heads or anything.

They just show up like that similar to pigeons?

Actually they can fly, but like chickens, etc they don't fly very far at any one time. I have a fence that is about 7' in places & they hop right up on that & down into my garden (even the babies).
If you look over to the background, it is open hillside behind my house - they mostly just walk all over the hill & only fly when they need elevation (like the fence) or get spooked. They cover miles of territory this way, conctantly foraging for food. However they maintain a pretty rigid route/schedule - I can expect to see them at the same time every day now.
Intereting thing is there is major mall only about 1/4 from my house. The most surprising thing I saw (before my fence went up) was a bobcat sitting on my deck right by the patio door at about 6am one morning! Mmmm - turkey for breakfast he was thinking!
Personally I'd pop one off in a minute after fattening up with corn for TG but the wife would likely shoot ME!

Attachments

• turkey4.jpg
    turkey4.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 433
ken, buy a huge fishing net and save them for thanksgiving...it'll be a nice NSX gathering at your place! :D

Could they be from the following article :D?

(11/27/02 - OBERLIN, Ohio) — A turkey that spooked children and left telltale droppings on backyard decks in this campus community has mysteriously disappeared _ just as the Thanksgiving holiday approaches.

"As far as we know, it's still out there," Dan Kramer, a wildlife management supervisor for 19 northeast Ohio counties, said Tuesday.

He said there was no reason to believe the turkey was headed to someone's holiday dinner table.

The Ohio Division of Wildlife got at least 20 complaints about the bird. Wildlife officers looked for the turkey but couldn't find it.

A school principal had warned children that the turkey was becoming bolder and had sharp talons. Another resident began carrying a stick after her dog reportedly was attacked.

John H. Scofield, chairman of the physics and astronomy department at Oberlin College, had seen the turkey regularly over the past year but not in the past 1½ weeks.

"I'm guessing somebody got him, but I'm not sure," said Scofield, whose Bronco II had become a favored roosting spot for the turkey during neighborhood visits in Oberlin, about 30 miles southwest of Cleveland.

No-one even mentioned my beautiful '51 Chevy in the background ..... :(

Haha - it got banished to the back yard as the NSX takes up its garage space now! I mean, it's just a truck after all ..... ;)

Is it legal for you to shoot one?

I'll like a 25 pounder at 10 cents a pound. You got yourself a nice turkey farm and funding for NSX aftermarket parts.

Tan:D

Tantheman said:
Is it legal for you to shoot one?

I'll like a 25 pounder at 10 cents a pound. You got yourself a nice turkey farm and funding for NSX aftermarket parts.

Tan:D

Let me know where I can get an NSX part for $2.50 - & a gallon of gas doesn't count! :D

D'
What part of the bay do you live?
If they were in my back yard, I would definetly invest in a good pellet gun..

See comment re- wife above!
I think if I just let one of my German Shepherds out, game over - no noise, no mess (well, minimal), Turkey for dinner!
The cats kinda look & think - "maybe - well, maybe not - they look a little tough - where are those stoopid dogs when you need em?"

Nice Truck :D

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

I would think that a house cat would definitely has his hand full with a big rough wild turkey like that. So give him some credit for containing his excitement, and not trying to attacks the birds, in which the result can be ugly to both side.

Back