U.S. to Canada - '96 NSX import requirments/regulations

Looking at buying a 1996 nsx-t from Florida (bringing to Montreal). Having only brought cars older than 15 years in the past, it is easy however appreciate if anybody has basic outline of process and specific mods (ie running day lights? bumper brackets?) needed....if any. Not certain if the speedo is bi-sexual (miles & kms) or not tfore appreciate any input/info/experience you you may have had.....including what the "perceived" book value is for a '96.

The paperwork is not rocket science and I will handle myself tfore no need to recommend a broker as I do not plan on using one.

If this subject has been dealt with in past, appreciate your help finding it on prime.....i am new to this forum.

Montreal Peter

www.riv.ca

all you need to know is there.

NSX needs a child safety restraint purchased and daytime running lights. you don't have to buy the OEM ones..just running lights from Canadian Tire or something. The speedo has KMs on it..no other changes are required.

Peter, here are the basic requirements:

- Honda/Acura Recall clearance letter very important
- A fax Letter to US Border Services 72 Hr before bring the car over.
- 30 day Temp License
- Insurance
- Need to check that Title is Clear

Cost - 15% PST & GST plus 6.1% Duty = 21%
- $182.00 RIV Fee
- At home Safety inspection etc.

The DRL can be any Canadian tire type, the Child anchor can be from another car like an Accord.

Drops me an emil if you need addational info.

PS ... have a use set of OEM DRL lights

Bram

carpete said:
Looking at buying a 1996 nsx-t from Florida (bringing to Montreal). Having only brought cars older than 15 years in the past, it is easy however appreciate if anybody has basic outline of process and specific mods (ie running day lights? bumper brackets?) needed....if any. Not certain if the speedo is bi-sexual (miles & kms) or not tfore appreciate any input/info/experience you you may have had.....including what the "perceived" book value is for a '96.

The paperwork is not rocket science and I will handle myself tfore no need to recommend a broker as I do not plan on using one.

If this subject has been dealt with in past, appreciate your help finding it on prime.....i am new to this forum.

Montreal Peter

Re: U.S. to Canada - '96 NSX import requirements/regulations

I'm also looking in the US.

All these used car dealers look shady to me though. I'd love to find a nice private sale car under $35K.

..jack

are you only allowed to inport vehicles that are 15 years old or older? or is that only duty free? is the 6.1% duty paid on cars 15 years and newer or how does it work? thanks.

tks for specifics bram, may take you up on the drl...will email if so (once I fugure out how on prime?)
guess you brought yours in frvm states as well?

as far as general duty question, 6.1 applies to all cars not manufactured in the USA, irrespective of the year. the 15 yer thing is really more to do with the type of cars permitted (check out riv.ca as all details clear).

Buy the time you buy a 35k car in the US and add the 21% its around 42k or so, save all the headache and just buy mine. :)

Last edited:
You can save some money upfront by buying from the US, no quesion, but youre gonna give it back when/if you sell the car. A US car sold in Canada will always sell for less then the equivalent CDN car.

I think that the availability of cars is a much more compelling benefit of the US market than the price. If you can find a reasonably priced CDN car, Id buy that 10 times out of 10 times.

Back