Trunk Access

Status
Not open for further replies.
The key should get it open. Once you get the battery fixed there's a on/off button in the glove box that will turn valet mode on/off which locks the trunk/disables the trunk button. Make sure that's in the off position. Hopefully that helps.

Congrats on your NSX also!

The key should get it open. Once you get the battery fixed there's a on/off button in the glove box that will turn valet mode on/off which locks the trunk/disables the trunk button. Make sure that's in the off position. Hopefully that helps.

I think if it's the valet key it won't open the trunk...

Would there be any other way because his ex-girlfriend who stole the car when they’re splitting up, change the locks in the three years she had it

Welcome to Prime!

It depends on several factors, but what is the huge significance of getting into the trunk? Can you drive it? Do you have a key, a valet key (grey usually)? What locks were changed? The ignition? The door cylinders? The Glovebox? the trunk? Depending on the combination, it seems like you may need a locksmith/new keys.

But if all you want is into the trunk:
  1. If you have an ignition key, you can just use that. Some of them have worn a bit over the years and will only work in the trunk lock one way and not the other. A valet key should not open the trunk (or the glove box)
  2. If you can open the Glove box:
    1. Ensure the Glove box valet switch is turned on
    2. Apply a battery booster to the battery
    3. Press the trunk release switch on the lower portion of the driver's door.
  3. Take it to your local Acura dealer, who should be able to open the trunk for you fairly easily and/or fix the lock cylinders.

Or maybe they stole the car back...poor car doesn't know who to love...

The dealer would be my absolute last choice. I'd rather force the tumbler with a screwdriver and replace the entire lock/set.

It's not too hard to pick lock. Likely plenty on YouTube. The key code is on the trunk lock cylinder, so can get keys made for the rest of the vehicle.

The dealer would be my absolute last choice. I'd rather force the tumbler with a screwdriver and replace the entire lock/set.

It's not too hard to pick lock. Likely plenty on YouTube. The key code is on the trunk lock cylinder, so can get keys made for the rest of the vehicle.
A damaged lock cylinder would be more expensive than just getting a key cut. If you provide proof of ownership and VIN dealer should be able to assist.
I dont like using dealer but sometimes they can be handy especially if you have a decent relationship with them.

Welcome to Prime!

It depends on several factors, but what is the huge significance of getting into the trunk? Can you drive it? Do you have a key, a valet key (grey usually)? What locks were changed? The ignition? The door cylinders? The Glovebox? the trunk? Depending on the combination, it seems like you may need a locksmith/new keys.

But if all you want is into the trunk:
  1. If you have an ignition key, you can just use that. Some of them have worn a bit over the years and will only work in the trunk lock one way and not the other. A valet key should not open the trunk (or the glove box)
  2. If you can open the Glove box:
    1. Ensure the Glove box valet switch is turned on
    2. Apply a battery booster to the battery
    3. Press the trunk release switch on the lower portion of the driver's door.
  3. Take it to your local Acura dealer, who should be able to open the trunk for you fairly easily and/or fix the lock cylinders.
All locks were changed and as of right now we are not allowed to change anything on the car

That is try but the first owner on the car took out the truck locking system and out a backup camera in it but never hooked it up

That is try but the first owner on the car took out the truck locking system and out a backup camera in it but never hooked it up
If the key lock is missing, the only way to open the trunk is via the electric button on the driver's side door. As noted above, you need to make sure the valet security switch in the glovebox is switched off first.

I must be missing something.

The photo implies that you can open the driver's side door. If so, pop the rear hatch (it is a mechanical release), lift the engine cover and remove the cover on the engine compartment relay and fuse box. Inside you will find a jump start terminal. Use the jump start terminal to power up the car - which is essentially what Wild Turkey suggested. You should be able to start the car or at the very least use the electric release on the driver's door for the trunk latch.

The photo implies that you can open the driver's side door. If so, pop the rear hatch (it is a mechanical release), lift the engine cover and remove the cover on the engine compartment relay and fuse box. Inside you will find a jump start terminal. Use the jump start terminal to power up the car - which is essentially what Wild Turkey suggested. You should be able to start the car or at the very least use the electric release on the driver's door for the trunk latch.
My dad and i were looking around the and found out we have to order a new wiring harness so that why the button was not working

Were is the mechanical release at exactly we cant find it

You either need power or you need a key (that is the mechanical release).

Since no key, you need to get the jumper cables out and provide aux power to the car via the engine compartment. Once you do that, verify the glove box trunk switch, and then hit the bottom on the driver door.

Indeed, starting to smell of fish. The 'owner' should know where the release for the rear hatch is if they ever checked the engine oil level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back