Transport needed for nsx purchase,...

isellpower said:
Gary Almond is the only way to go. One car at a time in a nice wide enclosed trailer. Not much more expensive either.

:eek: Wow, very cool. It's door to door, I assume? Is this a one man operation that drives around the country and picks up, drops off, then off to the next job? How much does he charge?

Ben said:
:eek: Wow, very cool. It's door to door, I assume? Is this a one man operation that drives around the country and picks up, drops off, then off to the next job? How much does he charge?

Yup, that's the one. Door to door is all he does. He's done Vipers for me in the past and is excellent. he charges about .90 to $1 a mile. I've had him check the car out for me before shipping also. After car fax and dealer check it helps to have someone in person check it out. After he gives the OK you wire the money and he loads it on the trailer. I just don't want my car stacked in with a bunch of others and take a month to get here. If he's too busy his friend John Altman will do the same.

If as you say, you've spent a year looking for the right vehicle at the right price, I'd spend the few hundred extra that a fully licensed, bonded, highly reputable car carrier like Intercity City Lines, Passport Transport, Horseless Carriage or Thomas Sunday are to deliver you your new car.

It will be the best $$$ you ever spent...

Ben said:

I just got a bid from him for a transport from Ann Arbor to Sacramento: $2000. He noted it might be lower dependeing on the timeframe and other variables.

His bid was the highest by at least $350 thus far even for enclosed transport. However, to be fair, his service is one car from door to door and that has value to high end car owners.

YMMV

Last edited:
Intercity charged me $1750 to transport from Andrews, NC to Camarillo, CA . Trip was 2337 miles. It was originally going to be $1500, but I wanted the car to be put on first and not moved until it reached me. White gloves, carpeted trailer and a lift gate and door to door service with no problems. :biggrin:

isellpower said:
Gary Almond is the only way to go. One car at a time in a nice wide enclosed trailer. Not much more expensive either.
Interesting option! At those prices per mile, not more than a few hundred more, coast to coast. Thanks for sharing. :smile:

KGP said:
I have used them also. One time they placed my car on a different carrier without my knowing. It wasn't a problem because the carrier was using a top notch truck and had a very caring driver. Check out Blue Highways.

I also will second Blue Highways. They picked my car up in Chicago on the day specified, and had it to my door in LA six days later as they stated. $1100 total, and it was on the top all the way at the front so it never had to be moved once it was loaded on the transporter.

I also have another contact that is similiar to the one car trailer mentioned above. He will pick up two cars at a time and make his deliveries coast to coast. Great service and a decent price too. He was on the west coast when I needed him on the east coast to pick up my car. :frown:

Let me know if you are still looking.

I used Horseless Carriage from NJ to CA. They were the best and actually delivered ahead of schedule. The rest I was dealing with jerked me around, would let the car sit at a terminal, and who knows what else. Horseless Carriage cost me $1,800, and was worth it.

Maybe I should start doing this transportation thing....I figure buying an airplane ticket and some gas money has to be a less expensive and faster option. :D

I looked in FAQ on this website and contacted reliable carriers. I have used them several times and have been extremely happy with the service. They were the fastest (only 5 days from Florida to Phoenix, 2 days from Phoenix to San Fran) and the most reasonable on cost. They charged $795 from Florida to AZ on enclosed truck. On both trips the drivers called and let me know where they were and kept me in the loop(very uncommon with the other companys I have used before). Anyways here's the link:http://www.reliable-carriers.com/

KGP said:
Interesting option! At those prices per mile, not more than a few hundred more, coast to coast. Thanks for sharing. :smile:

I also didn't like dealing with the larger companies because they were very impersonal. When someone like Gary or John hauls your car it's the only one they are worried about. I have checked with DAS and Horseless, but talking to a machine or an operator who always seemed to be lacking information or flexability was frustrating. You can talk to Gary on his cell at any time.

sccchiii said:
I looked in FAQ on this website and contacted reliable carriers. I have used them several times and have been extremely happy with the service. They were the fastest (only 5 days from Florida to Phoenix, 2 days from Phoenix to San Fran) and the most reasonable on cost. They charged $795 from Florida to AZ on enclosed truck. On both trips the drivers called and let me know where they were and kept me in the loop(very uncommon with the other companys I have used before). Anyways here's the link:http://www.reliable-carriers.com/

This is the carrier most of the major tuner show promoters use. Vision, producers of HIN use this carrier exclusively along with many others. I see 25-30 (not kidding) at SEMA and PRI alone every year.

OK,....I join this exclusive community with one strike against me,... I did not do the exclusive homework I should have to transport the vehicle I put so much energy into finding, negotiating, and purchasing. I struck a deal with DAS and I find myself in a position where they have recieved funds and have me scheduled, but guess what, they got me on the back burner, big time,...My wife set up the transport, but she did it off the list I gave her of what I thought were reliable transporters,...So the jones is on me,....After the delivery of the vehicle to the site for transport we discovered that not only was a truck not waiting for it, they stated they might take a week or so to get one there. I paid big time extra fees for upper deck transport and expedite. I then found out that the transport site is a tow yard company in Houston and the NSX is sitting outdoors in the elements with, and I quote ' barb wire fencing and doberman dog patrol to ensure its protection. Gee I feel good about the dogs but I got a feel'in they ain't gonna wipe the car down after a good rainy session,.... Once again, I apologize for such a rude intrusion into a community that for all intents and purposes seem to have a genuine respect and admiration for a vehicle worthy of the attention it recieves,....Steve,.......

Hrant said:
I just got a bid from him for a transport from Ann Arbor to Sacramento: $2000. He noted it might be lower dependeing on the timeframe and other variables.

His bid was the highest by at least $350 thus far even for enclosed transport. However, to be fair, his service is one car from door to door and that has value to high end car owners.

YMMV

Thanks everyone for your support! I try to offer the best possible service for the best possible price. I'm a car guy myself (I own one of the world's fastest Vipers) and treating your car as if it were my own is my specialty.

I thought I would add a little information to Hrant's post just to clarify things a little. The price I gave to Hrant was a "ballpark figure" per his request. The trip is over 2200 miles and I transport cars in a single-car, enclosed trailer. I would bet that the other quotes Hrant got were for those large, multi-car tractor trailer transporters. Even though they offer enclosed transportation, there are many advantages I have over them.

The way the big transporters keep their costs down for long-distance runs is by picking up and dropping off cars along the way. This means that rather than a point-to-point trip like I make, they may take many days (up to a couple of weeks) to make their way to your destination. They also stack cars in the trailer potentially exposing your car to being dripped on. Another technique they use is "warehousing" where they drop your car off somewhere in the middle of the country and later another truck comes by to pick it up.

I compare this to riding a Greyhound bus. Very few of us would go cross-country on a Greyhound bus but would opt for flying instead. Although the Greyhound bus is much cheaper, it makes many stops along the way and the conditions are less than ideal. Why would anyone try to save a few bucks to send their valued car using a Greyhound bus-like transporter?

This all makes sense from a logistical and financial standpoint for the big guys, but it doesn't make sense for the owner of an expensive car to save a couple hundred dollars to potentially expose his car to damage by being loaded and unloaded a few times or being dripped on by other cars.

I have heard story after story about guys who have paid extra to not have their cars stored along the way or placed on the bottom only to find out later that their cars were subjected to these conditions.

On shorter runs, I am more than competitive with the big guys. On the cross country runs, I only can be as competitive when I'm able to fill all the segments of a given trip.

Feel free to call me anytime at 240-994-1343 if I can help you out. You won't be dissapointed with my service!

Thanks,
Gary Almond
www.almondexotictransports.com

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
Dont use DAS transport. I just shipped my Talon TSI AWD to california from NJ. I brought the car to the terminal in Linden, NJ on Dec 25. and as of this morning it JUST arrived at their california terminal. I feel bad for the kid that bought it on EBAY. :frown:

Completely different story here. I shipped mine from NJ to Houston on 12/23 and picked that up from the terminal on 12/30. I did NOT use rush/priority delivery. I have good experience with DAS. I guess each destination is different...

Do not use A-1 Auto transport. They took a very long time for pick up and they managed to damage the plastic lip on the nsx. Also, they left the interior of the car in mud. Mud was everyway. (total cost was $895, door to door)

my buddie also used A-1 and his car ended up with a dent. (total cost was $700, door to terminal)

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
Dont use DAS transport. I just shipped my Talon TSI AWD to california from NJ. I brought the car to the terminal in Linden, NJ on Dec 25. and as of this morning it JUST arrived at their california terminal. I feel bad for the kid that bought it on EBAY. :frown:

Completely different story here. I shipped mine from NJ to Houston on 12/23 and picked that up from the terminal on 12/30. I did NOT use rush/priority delivery. I have good experience with DAS. I guess each destination is different...

For another option...

My NSX was shipped from St. Louis to WA state by Lee Gardner. His operation is similar to Gary Almond's, except that his trailer holds 2 cars instead of one. All enclosed trailer, top notch service. I chose him because he matched the best quote I got ($1350), and was able to pick up the car within a week of my calling him. He called me every day or two to update me on the progress of the shipment, and it arrived perfectly. He ships a lot of Lamborghinis and Ferraris, so he definitely knows what he is doing. If you want to call him, his number is 503-351-7170. I highly recommend him.

good luck.
Eric

If you do a search for Dependable Auto Shippers here, you will come across the thread entitled do not use DAS, which is rather long.

GaryA said:
cut ......

I thought I would add a little information to Hrant's post just to clarify things a little. The price I gave to Hrant was a "ballpark figure" per his request. The trip is over 2200 miles and I transport cars in a single-car, enclosed trailer. I would bet that the other quotes Hrant got were for those large, multi-car tractor trailer transporters. Even though they offer enclosed transportation, there are many advantages I have over them.

cut.

www.almondexotictransports.com

I agree with Gary. In case my comment was not clear, I would re-emphasize that Gary's service and follow up comments in trying to guide me to other options was first class. And that has value in a high end car. My inquiries was not for an NSX but for a Buick Century owned by one of the family members.

I also used Intercity Lines.
Suppose to be one of the best.
It cost me $1600 coast to coast.
Its not cheap but you get what you pay for !

BH

Attachments

• DSCN5419.JPG
    DSCN5419.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 501
  • DSCN5421.JPG
    DSCN5421.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 488
  • DSCN5422.JPG
    DSCN5422.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 469
Thank you all for your advice on transportation for my nsx,.... I did make a commitment to DAS and they assured me my vehicle would be delivered within 12 days and as I paid a little xtra for top rack and priority delivery I crossed my fingers and decided to leave it's fate in the hands of good fortune,....The vehicle was here in 13 days and I must admit it was in excellent condition except for being very dirty as it sat in the delivery yard in Houston for almost a week. DAS could not understand that if someone pays a substantial amount for enclosed transport it certainly defeats the purpose if the vehicle is stored outdoors in the rain and snow for the week prior to pick up. So a little good and a little bad but my ride is here and the maiden voyage was up the Pacific Highway and back and for my first nsx experience I must say it was enlightening to say the least. At times it literally took my breath away. I look forward to years of appreciation,.....Steve,...

102222 said:
Thank you all for your advice on transportation for my nsx,.... I did make a commitment to DAS and they assured me my vehicle would be delivered within 12 days and as I paid a little xtra for top rack and priority delivery I crossed my fingers and decided to leave it's fate in the hands of good fortune,....The vehicle was here in 13 days and I must admit it was in excellent condition except for being very dirty as it sat in the delivery yard in Houston for almost a week. DAS could not understand that if someone pays a substantial amount for enclosed transport it certainly defeats the purpose if the vehicle is stored outdoors in the rain and snow for the week prior to pick up. So a little good and a little bad but my ride is here and the maiden voyage was up the Pacific Highway and back and for my first nsx experience I must say it was enlightening to say the least. At times it literally took my breath away. I look forward to years of appreciation,.....Steve,...

Any pictures of what it looked like when it arrived??

I hope your NSX arrived without any damage.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I also provide enclosed transport services for show cars, exotics, collectors etc. I am in the Mid Atlantic and mainly stay on the Eastern side of the US but every so often I do make trips out west(like in 2 weeks). I have another new trailer on the way that will hold 2 NSX's perfectly,(being made for that purpose). Currently using a 38' Goosneck with triple axles for one car at a time transport.

If anyone has the need for there car to be transported by someone who cares as much or more than they do about it, then let me know.

[email protected]
410-707-5304

Back