• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Total Electrical Loss

Currently own a low mile 91. Pulled into the gas station the other day and filled up. When I got back in the car and turned the key...nothing, no dash lights...not even the clock working. Pushed the car over to the side did the obligatory opening of the front and rear hatch and stared at the contents waiting for a divine message of some sort.
My son who was sitting in the car switched on the hazards which hadn't worked a couple of minutes ago which was a posiotive sign so turned the key..started right up.
Works fine with no repeat issues.
Have checked the battery connections and they are clean and tight.

Any ideas onn what may have been a potential cause of the total electrical failure ?

I would say ign switch

or like BrianK said make sure the connections to the battery are good and clean.

take them off and use a battery bristle brush to scrub them down to pure metal. re-attach and bolt down

if it occurs again, I would say ign switch.

try to duplicate the problem by turning the key on of on off and wiggle the key while its inside the cylinder if you can duplicate the " no power " symptom then you have your answer.

next thing would be the main relay

I dont think it matters the miles more like the age of the components

BrianK im 4 post past you LOL but 99.9% of your posts are helpful to others vs my 20% posts being helpful LOL

Last edited:
You might want to test your battery, sometimes they act like this on their way out.......

Brian

Options:

1. Check all battery connections
2. Check battery
3. Check Ignition switch. This is very common and you issue is what happens when they are on the way out. ( I'm betting this is the issue)

Main relay is probably not it, That would not prevent it from turning over. It would still have all electrical but would not start.

Options:

1. Check all battery connections
2. Check battery
3. Check Ignition switch. This is very common and you issue is what happens when they are on the way out. ( I'm betting this is the issue)

Main relay is probably not it, That would not prevent it from turning over. It would still have all electrical but would not start.

#1 or #2 or ground like BrianK said. OP said the hazards weren't working, either, and I don't think the hazard circuit goes through the ignition switch since they should work with or without the key.

Back