Torque Wrench for lugs

Good thread. I've been wanting to upgrade my Craftsman torque wrench for some time though it's been great for it's primarily used for: torquing lugs.

Hmmm...Snap-On...:cool:

What you guys think of the one the TireRack sells ?

Snap on and Mac all good stuff but I dont track my car and dont change out wheels that much just looking to get something which will be better then going by feel

I've had the one from Tirerack for about 5 years and it works well and no problems. I only use it 4-5 times a year though. Hard to beat for the price.

I've had the one from Tirerack for about 5 years and it works well and no problems. I only use it 4-5 times a year though. Hard to beat for the price.

I doubt I will use it more then twice a yr so this sounds like a good deal for me .... I do have a bid on a used KD right now so see how that goes first.

I have one that I bought from Harbor Freight for $10, including a plastic case. I use it all the time and it has never failed me. I see it's up to $16 now. Good thing I got it when I did. :)

Kinda thread jacking real quick, but where do you take the sears wrench to get it calibrated?

Sears?

Like others have said, the difference between my snap on and the craftsman is night and day. I really only use my craftsman for the drain plug so I don't get oil on my snap on.

I thought I was the only nut case that did that. :eek: I only use my Craftsman sockets for the oily stuff.

Jeff

Oh yeah, I guess I only assumed you were using it for wheel lug torquing. Definitely don't use what I recommended on engine parts. I'd go with a smaller, more accurate one for those types of duties.

Actually I just re-read the title of the post and it IS just for torquing wheel lugs. . Just go with a cheap torque wrench then. . . you could get get 3 or more of them for the price of a Snap-On or KD or whatever. . .

If you're using it to do engine work though, get a more reputable one.

Go with the Harbor Freight one. Most car magazines have a 20% off coupon you could use, so it'd be like $12!!
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-239.html

Although people may not have had issues w/ the Harbor Freight one, I wouldn't trust its consistency. IMO for something as critical as torquing your $$ wheels and risking your ride/life in an accident just do it right. Beauty of a torque wrench is that you can use it for other cars too. I even double check the lugs if the car was taken into a shop where they removed the wheels. Not saying you must do $$ Snap On but at least use Craftsman.

Jeff

This thread is like a bunch of women arguing about skin lotion. For God's sake please go buy a damn torque wrench already!

How often do you use yours and for what applications.
I use mine only for mounting wheels/tires. At each track event I do, I switch to and from four track tires at the start and end of the track event, and often one or more times in the middle of the event. And I do 8-10 track events per year. So that's a lot of tire changing.

Although people may not have had issues w/ the Harbor Freight one, I wouldn't trust its consistency.
I've had it calibrated, and it was 100 percent accurate every time. And it has been absolutely consistent throughout the five or so years I've had it. (Given how often I use it, I bet I could tell if it were off significantly.)

If you want to spend more for another brand, you're welcome to do so. But based on my experience and for my needs, the Harbor Freight torque wrench has been every bit as good as torque wrenches costing many times the price.

where do you take the sears wrench to get it calibrated?
One of the guys in our local car club works in a shop that remanufactures transmissions, and when we have meets there, they do the calibration for anyone who brings a torque wrench to the meet.

Last edited:
This thread is like a bunch of women arguing about skin lotion. For God's sake please go buy a damn torque wrench already!

lol+ 1 Bailey just go to sears and buy a wrench.....:eek:

lol+ 1 Bailey just go to sears and buy a wrench.....:eek:

I agree with nsxtasy, go to Harbor Freight and buy 6 Torque Wrenches instead. :biggrin:

It's accurate says it's accurate to +/- 4%. . So if you're really worried, set the wrench to 84 ft-lbs when torquing. In that case you'll be at a safe range between 80 ft-lbs at the -4% and at 87 ft-lbs at the +4%.

Plus you'll have 5 other torque wrenches to quintuple check your first one. :wink:

I agree with nsxtasy, go to Harbor Freight and buy 6 Torque Wrenches instead. :biggrin:

It's accurate says it's accurate to +/- 4%. . So if you're really worried, set the wrench to 84 ft-lbs when torquing. In that case you'll be at a safe range between 80 ft-lbs at the -4% and at 87 ft-lbs at the +4%.

Plus you'll have 5 other torque wrenches to quintuple check your first one. :wink:

I might have to go buy wheel studs after that thou .... I just want them to be equally tight all around

I found the thread below to be very helpful in making my decision on which torque wrench to buy. Especially the posts by Forrest Nearing.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86213

You don't need to purchase "snap-on" as they're made by CDI which also makes the same torque wrenches under other brands such as bluepoint/armstrong/precision instruments.

I think this is more then I need for the two times a year I need to use one

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-239.html

1/2 Drive Click Stop Torque Wrench
Item # 239

Click-stop type, accurate within +/- 4%
Heavy duty cam and pawl mechanism
Torque range: 20 to 150 ft. lbs
Reversible
Length: 18"

Sale Price $9.99

image_72.jpg

Actually I just re-read the title of the post and it IS just for torquing wheel lugs. . Just go with a cheap torque wrench then. . . you could get get 3 or more of them for the price of a Snap-On or KD or whatever. . .

If you're using it to do engine work though, get a more reputable one.

Go with the Harbor Freight one. Most car magazines have a 20% off coupon you could use, so it'd be like $12!!

I think this is more then I need for the two times a year I need to use one

1/2 Drive Click Stop Torque Wrench
Item # 239

Click-stop type, accurate within +/- 4%
Heavy duty cam and pawl mechanism
Torque range: 20 to 150 ft. lbs
Reversible
Length: 18"

Sale Price $9.99

image_72.jpg

WhooHoo! Finally seeing the light! :biggrin:

If you have a store near you, print out this coupon for an additional 20% off, making it, $7.99
20_c.jpg

WhooHoo! Finally seeing the light! :biggrin:

If you have a store near you, print out this coupon for an additional 20% off, making it, $7.99
20_c.jpg

I had the 20% off coupon but they said its not applicable on sale items :mad: I did get the free Led flashlight thou:biggrin:

Back