• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

top speed question

This is probably a question for the German guys:

Out of curiousity, how long do you think the nsx can sustain in its top speed?

Henry.

Have topped out my NSX on the German highways multiple times with no problems with the car whatsoever but at that kind of speed (about 280 kph/174mph on the tacho) you will never be able to sustain in for very long simply because you're never alone on the road.
But do remember a memorable drive going back home with a friend from Germany when we were able to drive about 460 miles is just over 4.5 hours (of which about 120 miles at the Dutch max. speed of 75mph). So at least a couple of hours doing between 136-174 was no problem at all for the car, only stopping for fuel in-between.

MvM said:
But do remember a memorable drive going back home with a friend from Germany when we were able to drive about 460 miles is just over 4.5 hours (of which about 120 miles at the Dutch max. speed of 75mph). So at least a couple of hours doing between 136-174 was no problem at all for the car, only stopping for fuel in-between.

How about fuel consumption on that trip? :)

Just did a check for you on my trusty Psion concerning fuel consumption.
Made two stops on the way back.
On the first stop, fuel consumption was 6.06 km/liter, on the second it was 5.72 km/liter. I think that would translate to 14.3 miles/US gallon and 13.5 miles/US gallon respectively.
Not too bad I think....

actually not bad but I'd rather prefer it the other way round, 6 l/100 km. :D

Greetings,
Thomas

whiteNSXs said:
at 145mph, the wind noise gets quite annoying already.
If you're finding that's the case, then it's likely that your windows need adjustment, according to the procedure in the service manual.

MvM said:

Hi Maarten,

Yes, that was fun :D

4741snelweg1-med.JPG

BTW are you planning for Spa?

nsxhk said:
Wow! Thnx for sharing MVM.

At those speed, I think first to go would be the tires.

Henry.

You can drive Germany from the very north to south and back, autobahn A7 for example...
and try to go top speed as much and as long as you can... depending on the day of the week (on sunday's there are no trucks allowed before 22:00 except those with special permission) and time of the day (evening and night is much better...) you will enjoy many many miles near or even at top speed but even more speed limits :( (usually 120 km/h = 74,5 mph) and heavy, slow moving traffic that will slow you down again and again, but in return giving you the great opportunity of testing your brakes, downshifting to 4th and even 3rd, redlining it, feel the acceleration and hear that sweet VTEC growl and scream... beside outaccelerating many Benz's, BMW's, Audi's, some Porsche's...etc :)
It is amazing how very few other performance cars you'll meet during such a trip... if you do, often they will stick with you making it a joint race, usually those guys with nice cars will give you smiles and thumbs up...;) I've had such friendly high speed drives with some F348, Boxster S and others...
it is good plain fun.

NOTHING will let go !! No tires, no cooling water temps, no oil press.
And I always check my NSX's engine oil level when fueling up, the engine does not burn a single drop of oil...:)

The car is fully up to the task.

NSX is just wonderful !
But so is RX-7 either ;)

andy l.

speaking from personal experience, shuttling weekly for two years between Flensburg and Lindau... that time driving RX-7FC3S (later many similar trips with RX-7FD3S and NSX NA1, always as fast as possible, but driving legally where speed limits were imposed )

Last edited:
nsxtasy said:
If you're finding that's the case, then it's likely that your windows need adjustment, according to the procedure in the service manual.

nsxtasy, i think even with perfectly adjusted windshield, window trim and doors those windnoises are just present with these cars. I am having it on my NA1 same as on my like new FD.

andy l.

andy l. said:
nsxtasy, i think even with perfectly adjusted windshield, window trim and doors those windnoises are just present with these cars.
andy l.

I don't agree. If the door and window are properly adjusted, there is no noise issue with this high speed.

Gerard van Santen said:
I don't agree. If the door and window are properly adjusted, there is no noise issue with this high speed.

mmhh... i am having wind noise at high speed and i think my windshield and door windows are properly adjusted. but i never find it even close to being disturbing. maybe that means i am not having a "noise issue" as well...?

after all it is a matter of the noise LEVEL when it starts becoming an issue.
but undoubtly there IS "some" noise at higher speeds, must be... unless you are driving though a vacuum... while your engine and yourself miraculously are not suffocating...;)

andy l.

Hi

I can confirm that german Autobahn is a lot of fun. Too much traffic when I was down there this summer. But I got a few runs up to about 270-275km/h.

I did about 125km in half an hour once. Other than that I could not sustain more than 160 driving "normal".

If you see just above the 08 in 07.08.04 you can see the record I have. It is 0.83l/10km just before I left Norway on my summervacation. Then you will see it go up. The next nine fill ups was on the Autobahn. About 1.2l/10km in average I think. Not bad with the type of driving I did.

Edit: And I had some windnoise driving above 250km/h but it did not bother me that much. I did not have anyting to talk about with my passanger anyway :)

Regards

Attachments

• PIC3.jpg
    PIC3.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 245
Gerard,

Funny how you put a black tape over the instrument cluster to hide the warning lights! ;)

I'm gonna do the same thing but to my brake light warning idiot light. I've tried everything, I just can't get it to go off! :(

Henry.

nsxhk said:
Gerard,

Funny how you put a black tape over the instrument cluster to hide the warning lights! ;)

I'm gonna do the same thing but to my brake light warning idiot light. I've tried everything, I just can't get it to go off! :(

Henry.

Yes, I didn't want to remove the lights :D

Back