Top Gear USA?

Will Top Gear USA be any good?

• Yes...American hosts will make it better

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • No...without Clarkson, Hammond, and May, how good could it be?

Votes: 44 74.6%
  • Maybe...at least the Stig is setting lap times

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Don't care...who needs a show about cars when we've got Prime?

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought with the successful run on the Discovery Channel that USA would finally get to watch full Top Gear episodes, enjoying Jeremy Clarkson on a weekly basis. Well, the buzz seems to be that we will indeed be getting a Top Gear, but one of our very own...featuring American hosts and filmed in California. I found this info on various car forums and here's a link to a scan of the magazine that apparently broke the news.

I'm very upset about this...I've been loving the original show and its hosts. What do you guys think about this?

Of course the real reason I'm upset is because I've been joking about how we need to do a local version of Top Gear with a friend of mine...just so we could be the ones driving all the cool cars (Bugatti, where's my Veyron? I'm ready to start filming this weekend!) :D

Last edited:
Depending on the hosts...

An American version could go either way. Frankly I enjoy the personalities, and manner of the UK hosts. I know the content could be duplicated, but I don't see how they could recreate that smart humor, and the chemistry of the cast.

Look @ 5th Gear as an example- similar content, just not as watchable.

I've been glad that a coworker has been sharing the original shows from the BBC. I watched all of season 7 and am going back to watch episodes that I haven't seen from seasons 5 and 6 during our lunch hour at work.

With a drag racer and a reality show winner slated as the American hosts, I certainly am not encouraged.

"And on that bombshell..."

Two things...

1. They better keep the same concept and stupid little comparisons that the UK TG does.

2. I hope this ends up in HD

you know its gonna turn into something like

TOP GEAR USA

host "car X pulled the win though because of the high Burn out rating.....

I'll freak out if American cars start dominating the "Cool Wall"...assuming there even is one.

"Some say..."

BOOOOOOOOO!!!

name one British television show adapted for our "colony" that was as good or better than the original, and I'll "eat my hair"

Perhaps our only consolation is that we may get to hear Clarkson make amusing comments about the inferior "colonial version" on the REAL Top Gear. Perhaps a new weekly segment? :D

akira3d said:
With a drag racer and a reality show winner slated as the American hosts, I certainly am not encouraged.

"And on that bombshell..."

Well- at least I can watch googlevid of the UK version in low res on the computer.

I just won't watch the American version if it is crap. I would rather reduce myself to low res.

Anyone remember the funny and stupid challenges? Well, how can they top those awesome races? A Ford GT Vs a Train to NYC from LA? May god be with the producer.

I just realized, the BBC version doesn't have commercials! Awww....man...this will suck!

Hi

The orginal cast "americanized" the shows that where aired in the US. I read that on finalgear I think.

They changed some words too. From gasoline to fuel or the other way around. They also reshot some scenes and cut others where Jeremy was "americabashing". He does not like american cars (but he owns a Ford GT).

I agree with most of you here that they will struggle to cast hosts as good as the BBC version. I am afraid it will be like the american version of Scrapheap challenge..with a lot's of "high fives" and yihaas :)

Regards

Hey, I know it sounds a little hasty to judge the show before it even airs, but what if we can get every car enthusiast we know to boycott the airing of the pilot show? I mean, if no one watches TG USA, maybe Discovery will get a clue and start showing the UK version (which is already a proven and Emmy-winning success)!

Poor Eric... looks like you could use some support here. Anyone will to help him out? Anyone? Anyone? :D

Anything you did would be seen as a 'copy' of Top Gear and we all know copies are never as good. You'd have to take a different angle to the show...

Since you propose filming it in CA, might i suggest a name change to "Top Skank USA". Yes, you can still have cars in the show but you'll also have a truly American angle to the show that the UK cannot duplicate. ;)

Though in all seriousness, I'd probably watch any new car show so long as it doesn't have Tiff Needell. But an American Top Gear wouldn't be funny like the UK Top Gear because you guys have a different type of humour to the brits and us aussies.

0ctan3 said:
BOOOOOOOOO!!!
name one British television show adapted for our "colony" that was as good or better than the original, and I'll "eat my hair"

not much of a bet there, since you had a no.2 all over last time i saw you. :p btw, nice quote of jeremy's there... that was a funny ep.

Atleast it'll still be about cars...

akira3d's poll/thread reminds me of this...

Original...
cool.gif

iron_chef.jpg

vs.

Americanized...
vomit.gif

iron_chef_america.jpg

On topic:

I think a weekly, celebrity guest would be cool sharing the load w/ the usual host(s)... unlike having the usual, stereotyped American auto/car-show hosts week-in, week-out (ie. Car & Driver TV, Road & Track TV Magazine, American Muscle, etc...).

Re: Atleast it'll still be about cars...

Osiris_x11 said:
On topic:

I think a weekly, celebrity guest would be cool sharing the load w/ the usual host(s)... unlike having the usual, stereotyped American auto/car-show hosts week-in, week-out (ie. Car & Driver TV, Road & Track TV Magazine, American Muscle, etc...).

That is similar to that "Test drive" show. They have celebs and other pro drivers come on, but I don't think it has the credentials to bash cars like Top gear/5th gear can. It looks like the car company loans them the car assuming all they do is praise it. I like the show just because I love watching supercars go around the track, even the new Civic Si, but that show is a little "soft".

I think they could make a successful american one if they planned it out and got the right host. From the Test Drive show, I can tell the guy likes cars, he can drive cars, and he is enjoying what he is doing. When I watch Top gear/5th gear, you can tell they are having a ball, yelling, cussing, laughing, praising, bashing, driving the hell out of the cars, it's great. It's more about the car opposed to being about having a special guest on there. I like the stig idea, I don't like when they run in the wet though, but the show must go on I guess.

So in sum, if America does launch a "Top gear", I hope we don't embarass ourselves by promoting every car until they are blue in the face

NeoNSX said:
Anything you did would be seen as a 'copy' of Top Gear and we all know copies are never as good. You'd have to take a different angle to the show...

Neo, did you read the article? The reason I've posted the poll and have been complaining throughout this thread is that the producers have already filmed a pilot for the American Top Gear in California using a former drag racer and some reality show winner as hosts...it's so pointless that they should call the show "Reverse Gear".

The more I think about it, the more I get upset.

I expected a few "maybes" and hoped the "no's" would dominate, but I'm actually surprised that we've gotten some "yes" votes. In fact, I thought we'd get more "don't care" than "yes" votes.

akira3d said:
Neo, did you read the article? The reason I've posted the poll and have been complaining throughout this thread is that the producers have already filmed a pilot for the American Top Gear in California using a former drag racer and some reality show winner as hosts...it's so pointless that they should call the show "Reverse Gear".

The more I think about it, the more I get upset.

A former drag racer? Well this means cornering won't be considered a critical issue in reviews. :D Car of the year - Z06. :D

I'm not worried if they do release a USA Top Gear, because I'll still watch the UK version. It's not like they are replacing it.

Lol, I bet any man.....for any female to be a star in the car Lindsey Lohan would be the top 5, due to her speeding tickets

I reserve any comments until a pilot episode is produced. If the format is kept similar to the UK, then it should be a fun show. If it gets egos with hosts that have more "looks" then actual knowlege (Ryan Seacrest) or a driver (aka US versions of the Stig, who instead of being annonymous, go about saying hey this is me this is me...blah blah from NASCAR...or whatever) it will turn the show into a shameless pubilcity commercial. The show will need people involved who are enthusiastic about cars and not their egos.

akira3d said:
I expected a few "maybes" and hoped the "no's" would dominate, but I'm actually surprised that we've gotten some "yes" votes. In fact, I thought we'd get more "don't care" than "yes" votes.
And I'm proud to say I'm one of them. :D Honestly, I don't care much for Clarkson. I might have been more inclined to watch the show if he wasn't on it. That, and I didn't care too much for the Euro-centric nature of the show. :D

In any case, stick a hot babe on the USA show, and I'd pretty much watch it every week. :D Hey Conrad, what do you think about that idea?!!! Would you watch (it) each and every Day? :D

I think Clarkson rules. He makes the show. American hosts have tradionally been douchebags ie. Larry Webster.

I think an american version is a bad idea.

Back