Took another road trip yesterday

Great weather as the summer winds down so that, of course, meant another road trip with my camera. http://photography.robertondrovic.com/gallery/799885/1/35567066

35561572-L.jpg

35567066-L.jpg

35567020-L.jpg

35567081-L.jpg

35567041-L.jpg

35561583-L.jpg

35561587-L.jpg

35567040-L.jpg

35567093-L.jpg

35567039-L.jpg

Bob ,I don't remember giving you permision to post fotos of our homes :tongue:

35605906-L.jpg

Tony,
That picture above of Garagemahal is really nice. Quite a bit different from the architects concept drawing that was presented to Don but the columns are very similar to the original design :eek:

Hey Bob...I can't get to your site. Actually, I haven't been able to get there for a long time. I try from both work and home. Is anyone else having this issue??

Link seems to work. Other than periodic maintenance, I have not been told of any problems.

The only times I have a problem is if I am working off of my wireless aircard and, for whatever reason, I have to access it by www.rso.smugmug.com.

RSO 34 said:
Link seems to work. Other than periodic maintenance, I have not been told of any problems.

The only times I have a problem is if I am working off of my wireless aircard and, for whatever reason, I have to access it by www.rso.smugmug.com.

Hey Bob,

You need to give your hosting service a call again (startlogic.com) (not networksolutions)

They entered your CNAME pointer incorrectly. When I do a lookup of photography.robertondrovic.com I get the following:

photography.robertondrovic.com is a nickname for http://www.smugmug.com

The "http://" part should not be there. This is what is causing problems with getting to your site.

For example when I lookup photos.dejoie.net I get this:

photos.dejoie.net is a nickname for www.smugmug.com

Nice catch on the cname being wrong. Interesting that XP SP2 with both IE and Firefox manage to get you to the correct site despite that error. It always fails with Linux (and I suspect Mac as well but can't test that).

I saw somethinng similar a year ago where backslashes were used instead of slashes in a frameset. Worked fine in XP and also failed (correctly so) in Linux and Mac.

ondrovic said:
Nice catch on the cname being wrong. Interesting that XP SP2 with both IE and Firefox manage to get you to the correct site despite that error. It always fails with Linux (and I suspect Mac as well but can't test that).

I saw somethinng similar a year ago where backslashes were used instead of slashes in a frameset. Worked fine in XP and also failed (correctly so) in Linux and Mac.

I have a slightly different experience.
Only IE on my Windows XP SP2 machine works. Firefox on my Windows PC and Solaris workstation fail. Other odd browsers I tried in Linux also failed.

Kinda makes sense that IE would work - MS never seems to abide by standards in the first place so they probably allow anything.

RSO 34 said:

You can save some typng by dropping the "www" as it is not really needed to get to the smugmug site....

I have IE running on 3 XP workstations and it failed on all of them. It has been failing for months!! I just never said anything because I just thought it was me. But recently I have become curious so I had my friend try with his MAC and it failed. Also, I tried it on 3 different servers at my job and it failed as well (I could get in big trouble for that one). Tony's explanation makes sense, but why does it work for some and not for others, and the variations between working platforms is even more strange. The only thing I can think of is some people maybe have the correct address cached on they're local machine. I'm wondering if the people who have the link actually working were to refresh their cache it would fail for them as well.

All I know is if I blamed the problem on a DNS issue but it worked for some people and not for others I'd be out of a job :):) In other words...make somebody figure out why this is happening for you. Because of this it's extremely possible you have been losing sales, someone needs to be held accountable for the mix up.

I nuked a lab machine at work and after reloading it still worked with both the latest Firefox as well as IE running under XP (pro) SP2. Weird. Not a cache issue. Fails 100% on Linux no matter what browser.

The cname entry is definitely wrong and it shouldn't work anywhere for anyone.

jadkar said:
All I know is if I blamed the problem on a DNS issue but it worked for some people and not for others I'd be out of a job :):) In other words...make somebody figure out why this is happening for you. Because of this it's extremely possible you have been losing sales, someone needs to be held accountable for the mix up.

I don't understand why you say to make someone figure out why this is happening? I already stated why:smile:
Anyone that knows DNS can tell you that the CNAME was entered incorrectly!
The CNAME was incorrectly entered as an URL when it should simply be smugmugs fully qualified hostname - "www.smugmug.com"

The definition of a CNAME makes no mention of URL's as being valid names:biggrin:

If the CNAME was entered by a person at STARTLOGIC and they didn't realize it should not have http:// then perhaps they are merely a button pushing clerk.

The fact that windows usually works (my firefox and IE both work on Windows, firefox on linux/UNIX fails) is because microsoft windows was built to hide the many errors that people make. Why would the ordinary person with no IT experience want to know the difference of a domainname vs an URL, etc...

For instance you can actually ping a URL in windows XP (ping http://photography.robertondrovic.com) while doing the same thing in a REAL operating system fails.

Anyway, the only fix to this problem is to have startlogic correct the DNS entry - nothing else.

Last edited:
jadkar said:
All I know is if I blamed the problem on a DNS issue but it worked for some people and not for others I'd be out of a job :):)

Your employers must be very closed minded! DNS problems are very often the cause of problems that show up for some people and not others!!!!

Take into consideration multiple DNS servers (which is normally the case) with one of them not configured correctly or not having the same serial numbers or not having the same data, all of which can cause someone to get some sort of bad information and only some of the time.:eek:

ondrovic said:
I nuked a lab machine at work and after reloading it still worked with both the latest Firefox as well as IE running under XP (pro) SP2. Weird. Not a cache issue. Fails 100% on Linux no matter what browser.

The cname entry is definitely wrong and it shouldn't work anywhere for anyone.

On my PC, Firefox would not work. After restarting Firefox, the URL did work. I also tried a MAC today and it worked. I think Microsoft and possibly apple have simply coded their systems to work around the little mistakes that people make. If they didn't I am sure more people would complain that windows is broken because they simply don't know better:biggrin:

Lets not even get into what could be going on when your company has a proxy in the mix :eek:

I have decided to be decent and delete my last post. I have more important things going on in my life right now then to argue technology.

Some people just NEED to be right, and I'll just leave it at that.

jadkar said:
For god sakes Tony......If your trying (for some reason) to prove a point www.smugmug.com is not a hostname, it's their domain name. The term "host name" would be the server's physical name. I'm sure a man of your all powerful technical ability and know how has surely run "hostname" at a DOS prompt. Tell me do you get www.machinename.com :eek:

Wow!!!! You get all uptight because I said hostname instead of domainname!!! I originally typed "fully qualified hostname" and removed the "fully qualified" part to reduce technical parts. So I fixed the previous post for you to make it 'technically' correct:smile:

Guess you never heard of a fully qualified hostname? And YES to the question about running "hostname" at a prompt - on some systems I do get the entire hostname including the domain part.

jadkar said:
So if you were paying money for this service and generating revenue (how ever much it is) from it you could live with this excuse?? wow..what a swell guy. I personally would be a little upset.

What excuse?
The simple fact is that there is an error in the CNAME? Do you expect that all OS's react the same way when they encounter a DNS response that doesn't even qualify as being valid?

jadkar said:
I can't ping that. OK, now your really showing how omnipotent you are......Windows is not a REAL operating system!! Holy crap, let me run into the office right now and tell our head of technology that our 5,000+ Windows servers are not running REAL operating systems. I'll also let him know that you can develop a better one. I'm not particularly crazy about MS either but I wish you Linux people would stop crying already.....it's getting old. :biggrin: :biggrin:

My example about ping was to show that Microsoft, to simplify things for simple folk, made ping work for an invalid hostname (a URL). Apple did the same thing for MAC OS:frown:.

I used Linux as an example, yet I am not one of those so-called Linux people you refer to. I primarily work with Windows and Solaris systems:smile:

jadkar said:
You have absolutely no idea.

No need to explain DNS to me. I mentioned it's not my specialty, but I do know that in order for DNS to work properly there must be replication between the DNS servers worldwide. This is fundamental to today's internet. With that said, I mentioned that his problem has been there for MONTHS. Any DNS server holding an old record would have surely been replicated by now with the incorrect one. In other words I can't 100% say what is causing some people's machines to work and others not to. That was my point; we all know you are correct with the CNAME. Now give me a better reason why it's sporadic. The answer to that question is what my business client's on Wall Street would want to know. You see Tony, when someone in Tokyo can't hit a trading site and they're losing millions of dollars wasting time arguing with you they won't care about anything you said. When your on a conference call with 30 senior level people and they ask you why, you'd better not call them "close!
minded". :smile:

Ok, so you fix the CNAME and the problem goes away --- why would your client be upset once that problem is fixed? Sure, if someone in your organization updated DNS incorrectly they may get reprimanded or fired. But I don't think it is your job to try to explain why systems act sporadically when given unexpected data. That is a question that the OS developers would be qualified to answer.

jadkar said:
Plus, I'm surprised with all the great knowledge you have that I'm the one who brought this up in the first place :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I had PM'd Bob on previous DNS issues he had with the name. But in the past three months I was too busy with personal and work issues to even care - (sorry Bob:smile:)
Although, looking into it was on my todo list. You moved it to the top of the list when you posted that it did not work:smile:

jadkar said:
Now, please stop tryn' to be "big man on campus"…… I'm going back to hangn' out with my son, some of us like to leave this technology crap at work :) :)

Not trying to be anything but helpful and give Bob the solution to the problem after YOU posted the message saying you could not get to his website. I simply was stepping up to the plate to give a solution rather than complain!

I think I gave Bob enough technical info in Post #12 so he can call startlogic and complain intelligently and get this fixed.
You were first to start bringing technology into this post in your response to my post #12 (unless you delete that one too:smile:)

jadkar said:
I have decided to be decent and delete my last post. I have more important things going on in my life right now then to argue technology.

But you had time to rant in your deleted post:confused::smile:

jadkar said:
Some people just NEED to be right, and I'll just leave it at that.

This makes no sense - I provided the reason it doesn't work and the solution - there is no NEED here...:smile:

Last edited:
Back