To people with stock clutches

GQ NSX

Registered Member
If you guys were to measure about how far the clutch travels until a gear engages, what would you all say? Does it differ from year to year e.g. 96 to 97.

I'm wondering if it is more like my friend's Gsx, where it engages about half way. or if it's more like my friend's Integra, where it engages at the TIP of the clutches' travel length?

I'm not so knowledgeable on the technical aspect of clutches/shifters/ or transmissions for that matter :eek: but maybe someone here can enlighten me about the clutch "travel."

Peace

ravi

Engaging near the top indicates to me the clutch is worn. I have test driven 3 40K mile NSX's and they also engaged "near the top". I asked an NSX mechanic about this. He said it indicated the clutch was worn. Apparently, opposed to what I was told by used car sales persons, the clutch on an NSX is no different than any other car. The further out it engages, the more it is worn. I feel that engagement within the first half of pedal travel is acceptable. Am I missing something?

Dennis in SE PA said:
Engaging near the top indicates to me the clutch is worn. I have test driven 3 40K mile NSX's and they also engaged "near the top". I asked an NSX mechanic about this. He said it indicated the clutch was worn. Apparently, opposed to what I was told by used car sales persons, the clutch on an NSX is no different than any other car. The further out it engages, the more it is worn. I feel that engagement within the first half of pedal travel is acceptable. Am I missing something?

I have always heard that the most stock NSX clutches engage high... so I don't know about that indicating wear..

ic

Haha, we're getting some differring opinions on this. It sounds logical that the higher a clutch travels, the more worn out it may be. However, I'm sure its possible that thats simply how the transmission may have been engineered as netviper says?

I'm confused. :confused:

But definately learning :D

THanks all.

ravi

Mine engages near the top - just turned 20K last week (original clutch). Its been the same since I bought it at 14K miles. There's no sign of ay slippage.
OTH, I've heard of clutches that are shot at 15K ..... clearly if it hasn't engaged at the very top, its run out pedal travel, that's all
biggrinroll.gif

Mine has engaged at the same spot for the last year... seems fine to me..

Remember the NSX has two types of OEM clutches depending in the year, and also there are soooo many aftermarket clutches this can get confusing easily.

The stock OEM dual plate clutch (1991-1996) grabs high normally, and some at first may think it is worn, even brand spankin' new they are on the high side, I would say 75-80% travel to engagement.

However the single plate cluthes, 1997+ grab more towards the 50% travel if adjusted properly.

Other clutches like the CTPGII seem to grab relatively low, and are quite stiff.

This will account for many of the different opinions:)

HTH,
LarryB

i just got a brand new OEM clutch for my 92....and it engage about 1/2 way......i got a question.....is it bad to shift when the clutch is not fully depress? sometime just too lazy to press it in all the way

AndyH said:
i just got a brand new OEM clutch for my 92....and it engage about 1/2 way......i got a question.....is it bad to shift when the clutch is not fully depress? sometime just too lazy to press it in all the way

Mine grabs about 1/2 way as well. I do this in moderate city driving from time to time. When doing track events/spirited driving I am more likely to grind the synchros without the clutch fully engaged.

Back