Title lien in vehicle history--what to do?

I just ran a carfax on a car I want to buy. It shows a title lien from 1995 in MO, when the car was first titled. I asked the DMV about it, and they said that they aren't notified when a lien is satisfied unless the owner turns the title in with a lien release.
Current owner is the 3rd owner; I doubt he has any contact info on the original owner, but I can ask. After 10 years I think this is a non-issue, but I would like a little more certainty if possible.
Anyone here have similar experiences? Should I not be concerned? Is there a relatively cheap way to guarantee there are no current liens on the VIN? TIA.

Carfax will only list that there was a previous lien on a titile, they don't list when the lien has been satisfied by the owner. Whenever I finance a car, the bank usually holds the title with their name printed in the leinholder section. After the loan is paid off, they usually issue a letter stating the title is clear, plus they sign off on the lien on the actual title.

I wouldn't worry too much about this, it's a moot point and if the current owner has his current title in hand you're good to go.

Agreed. Just look at current title under 1st lienholder and make sure nothing's there, or it's signed over.

1) Apply to DMV for a vehicle abstract to get name of original owner.(may be a small fee)
2) Contact lien holder, give them the person's name, vehicle vin# and see if they can look up to verify that the lien has been satisfied. If it has explain your situation and ask for a copy of the lien release.
They may need some identification from you and/or permission from the person to whom the lien was held with.

You could contact the original owner as well. Once you have a vehicle abstract, try to contact that person directly and see if they have a lien release or would get a replacement copy for you.

I have done some of these things with success in the past to remedy the same problem. Good luck.

Back