Tint % Recommendation

I want to tint my windows but was wondering what percent you guys recommend especially for driving at night?

My shop quoted me and said they can do the small rear window AND the rear hatch. I think that would be overkill especially for night driving.

I currently have 30% tint on my 08 white/tan TL and like that look. So I was thinking 40% on a black interior smaller car? Maybe 30/40% on the sides and then something higher like 50%+ on the rear hatch?

Thanks!

I did 5% (aka- limo tint) and have no issues driving at night (of course I have really good night vision - thanks to years of ALWAYS wearing quality sunglasses like Vuarnet, Revo and Kaenon).

I like how I can flip people off in broad daylight with the windows rolled up.

170027_1648545011845_7863806_o.jpg

View attachment 126687
I did 5% too. A must have in California sunshine and for a black car. Can't comment on night optics though. I installed hid's 2 years ago and have yet to even drive it at night as I am usually in bed sleeping by 9pm. Lol.

You can get tint now that is virtually clear yet blocks a pretty high percentage of UV. Nice choice if you have a mesh or lexan engine cover (or none at all) and want the engine to be on full display.

I like how I can flip people off in broad daylight with the windows rolled up.

Lmao this is me all the time.

But to try and be constructive here for original poster. I have 15% and im fine. Only thing that can potentially be annoying is if you dont have a rear camera, youll have to roll ur windows down at night to back up at times

Last edited:
Are you doing the tint for the look? The privacy? Or the UV and heat rejection?

I just installed 3M Crystalline on my car. 90% on the windshield & tiny back window and 40% on the sides. I got Crystalline because of its high heat rejection (Infrared Rejection) since I'm moving to Las Vegas.
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/662303O/3mtm-crystalline-automotive-window-films-brochure.pdf

A little bit of privacy but also UV/heat reduction. I'm leaning towards 40% all around. I think the smaller car with dark interior will give me the same look as my TL which has 30% on a tan interior.

Back