Timing Belt

Hi all,

For all of you, this might be a stupid question :rolleyes:

I don't know cars very well; however, I'm wondering what the timing belt is ?
I went to Acura and asked them about the timing belt job. They told me it's about $1400 to get this job done :eek: That was scaring me a lots !!!

I don't know what I should do. As a female driver, the dealer always look down on me.

Any advice ??? :confused:

Jeanie@NA2_NSX-R said:
Hi all,

For all of you, this might be a stupid question :rolleyes:

I went to Acura and asked them about the timing belt job. They told me it's about $1400 to get this job done :eek: That was scaring me a lots !!!

I don't know what I should do. As a female driver, the dealer always look down on me.

Any advice ??? :confused:

That sounds like a decent price from the dealer.

BTW, have you asked the Ferrari dealer how much a timing belt service will cost for your 360? :D

The average price in the US is $1200. So if I have my conversion right you are getting a reasonable deal:)

If the car is 1992 and has not had one, it is definately due.

HTH,
LarryB

Jeanie@NA2_NSX-R said:
It's the toothed belt that drives the camshafts (which are in turn responsible
for opening and closing the valves). Some cars use a chain for this purpose,
some use a belt. A timing belt needs to be replaced periodically; the
schedule varies depending on what model/year car you have.

You can see the (circuitous) path an NSX timing belt makes in Larry
Bastanza's avatar next to his response above. A good picture of a
timing belt on another car (not an NSX, but it'll give you the idea) can
be seen at http://www.prismnet.com/~jrf/300ZX/image014.jpg

$1400 sounds a bit high. I recently had the timing belt changed on my 91 at West Side Acura in Edmonton for $700.00. I realize there are some regional differences in the prices charged for service but twice as much between Edmonton and Burnaby seems ridiculous. :eek:

After reading what it typically costs to change a timing belt from other owners ... maybe West Side Acura made a mistake? ;)

no, the $700 is the aberation, definitely not the $1400 :). dunno what you've heard from "other owners" but most other owners around this forum are paying quite a bit more than $700. did the $700 include the water pump too?

robr said:
no, the $700 is the aberation, definitely not the $1400 :). dunno what you've heard from "other owners" but most other owners around this forum are paying quite a bit more than $700. did the $700 include the water pump too?
No, I only have 11,000 KM (approx 7K miles) on the car so I had the timimg belt changed due to age not mileage. I also had the transmission and brake fluids changed at the same time and my total bill came to $856.73. If the $1400 includes the water pump I guess $700 is reasonable. Anyway, small price to pay for peace of mind. :)

I had my timing belt done for about $1050 including waterpump, etc. At Pauly Acura in Chicago.

mr2jzgte said:
Well its either $1,200 or double that.
No one said it was $2400. Have you paid $2400, or is there some other reason you are making that claim?

mr2jzgte said:
And to think that's just the timing belt stuff, not other maintenance.
As noted in the FAQ, the timing belt replacement is more expensive than any other scheduled maintenance service.

DocL said:
That sounds like a decent price from the dealer.

BTW, have you asked the Ferrari dealer how much a timing belt service will cost for your 360? :D

You are trying to compare apples to watermelons. you can't compare a 99-03 360 service to a 92 NSX. No offense to the NSX but the 360 is in a different league starting with the price.. At $150K for the car, the owner can justify a $7K engine out service... If you have a $35K car such as a 92 NSX then you can definitely see how it will cost $1200.. A better cost comparison would of been to a Lotus Espirit or 996.

Back