Timing belt changed after 19 yrs

Just changed timing belt and water pump for first time after 19 years. After reading reports from prime,having had car for only short time and reading forums realised I was driving with a bomb sitting on passengers seat. thanks prime members for vital info now I can drive and enjoy this exciting superrrrrr car,just to say the car has only done 54000 kms water pump seal still had tension, impeller looked like new,belt still soft and flexible not cracking at bottom of teeth.but still very glad the bomb didn't explode and can drive to enjoy,thanks again prime mates:smile:

U are a very lucky owner. Although Honda parts are known for reliability, 19 years is a long time for belts and water pump. I did mine after 9 years and 20000 miles. Now will do it again next year after 9 years and 35000 miles.
Suggest if U are running an auto, change the transmission fluid, the ALB and brake fluid as well.

Just changed timing belt and water pump for first time after 19 years..:

:eek::eek:

If it was April 1st i would be laughing ... whoa .. amazing!

Wow, you are certain it was never changed? That is the longest I have heard anyone going without changing it. Glad you took care of it. I agree that all the fluids should be changed out. Another thing that comes to mind is the coolant hoses. They tend to get brittle over time.

I'm positive that this is it's first belt, it also had the new type timing cover fitted for the new type water pump.this car is also a very early x as it was the 8th one to roll off the assembly line .great to here all your feed back,may be conditions down under suit the x superrrrr car.
greg:wink:

You still have a timebomb back there. It's called a harmonic balancer (crank pulley). Do a search and read the nightmares when the balancer comes apart. It's an easy DIY and about $214 for the same peace of mind the TB/WP gave you. Sorry to interupt your tranquility but it sounds like you really like your car and this is a tradgedy waiting to happen :eek:. Happy Motoring!

I just changed my water pump/timing belt in april of this year. Build date of my nsx is 11/18/90 (hand written on the inside of the door panels and under the seats).

Timing belt looked absolutely perfect, no cracks, no stretching, little discoloration, and I could still hang 200pds of weights on the belt with no problem. Water pump was seeping slightly around the pulley, but that was it.

I had exatcly 98,500 miles on mine when I changd it.

Honda reliability is honda reliability.

There is a 91 for sale up here in Oregon that has around 50k miles on it and the timing belt/water pump has never been changed! Surprising. I am really surprised they can last that long.

There is a 91 for sale up here in Oregon that has around 50k miles on it and the timing belt/water pump has never been changed! Surprising. I am really surprised they can last that long.

I'm not surprised they can last that long. Actually, I think a majority...if not 90%+ would last that long. The change intervals are not based on MTBF (or some other measure of when they're likely to fail)...but intended to eliminate all but the most-rare instances (i.e. 99.9%+) of likely failure before the interval.

Curious if you did the TB tensioner also. I know there are mixed signals on whether people think this is also required or not at the same time. I ask because my car is getting a new tB/water pump this week and my feeling is to also do the tensioner. When I asked one person they said the schedule only requires inspection of the tensioner, others say replace it. I'm an old Ferrari guy and you never did the TBs without also doing the tensioners at the same time (2 each).

Curious if you did the TB tensioner also. I know there are mixed signals on whether people think this is also required or not at the same time. I ask because my car is getting a new tB/water pump this week and my feeling is to also do the tensioner. When I asked one person they said the schedule only requires inspection of the tensioner, others say replace it. I'm an old Ferrari guy and you never did the TBs without also doing the tensioners at the same time (2 each).

i changed mine with the belt, might as well since your in there.

Back