• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Time to move on, but I'm still going to lurk around here.

Congrats, Doc.
The 997 Turbo and the NSX are not even in the same league. I drove a 2009 C4S and that thing was way faster than the NSX. I cannot imagine how fast the 997 Turbo is.
Steve

Moved from Zanardi #17, that I purchased new and built with everything Comptech to a new 911 cab (not a turbo), feel I can speak with some experience. Reason for the Porsche purchase....wanted a change of scenery after 3 new NSX's. Never owned one before.

RMS (rear main seal leak) appeared within 3 weeks. Minor electrical glitches popped up unexplainably + would never duplicate for the dealer to fix under warranty. Still, I persisted with Fabspeed, H & R and other mods.

RE: The dealer experience...Acura and Porsche are on different planets when it comes to customer service. In the Seattle/Bellevue WA area Acura was fantastic. W/Porsche I was a number.

Dumped the Porsche within 6 months. Even in the NW they are common commodity + terrible resale.

Fast, very expensive, dated technology is my view for the long haul. The current GT3 + RS versions are track masters, but that wasn't my game. Doesn't matter how much $ you have - it's never enough w/Porsche and they know that!

Last edited:
Congrats!! Welcome to 997 ownership. It will hard to find another car that can match its capabilites.

**OFF TOPIC** Can I buy some of your wall NSX posters? pretty please. I can't seem to find anything decent to put in my garage. So far - I have 2 posters and Rolex banner for my GT3 and NO NSX posters.

Those came out of a Mugen calendar poster from Japan.. I'll be keeping most of those for my future garage. I'm not totally done with the NSX thing yet! :)

PM me and I'll see what I can do for ya. :)

No your wrong.

June issue of Road and Track magazine compares Corvette ZR1 to GTR and Porsche 911 997 II twin turbo.

Results:

Lap time at Spring Mountain ZR1=1:20.1
GTR= 1:20.9
Porsche=1:21.3

0-100 7.3(ZR1),8.0(GTR),7.9(P)

Quarter mile 11.5 @ 128.7 (ZR1), 11.6 @120.4 (GTR) and 11.7@ 121.8 (Porsche) ---- (this is the 500hp 997.)

The 911 997 is no where near 125 trap speeds ..... that's Z06 country.

A SOS supercharged NSX can trap in the 120-122 range. It may not feel as fast but it is as fast.

Yeah, it's apples to oranges though. I hate getting into magazine #'s because it's just so pointless. The biggest difference between the power delivery of the two cars (besides the AWD vs RWD) is the Torque. The 911 turbo has 490hp and 457lbs of torque. With the overboost feature that my car has it rises the torque even more. You just can't squeeze that out of an SC'd NSX without more mods than I had or cared to have done.

... and my 997 won't stay stock for long, already have a plenum on order and an exhaust isn't far away either.

It won't take much for me to get to the 600hp mark on the p-car (crank at least) where as I would have had to put a lot more into my NSX..

But all that is really pointless because unless you're racing around a track, who really cares. Both cars a fast and both feel totally different. I was just ready to move on! In a perfect world I would have both. I know I'm going to miss the Honda reliability, no doubt, but I bought a certified car with the extended warranty which should get me through the ownership. :)

what do you think of the high dash and the seats?

what do you think of the high dash and the seats?

The 997 seats are pretty comfortable... more so than my NSX seats, but I was going to replace those anyhow. Having 6 way power seats with heat and lumbar in the p-car is pretty hard to compare to my two way seats in the NSX.

The view out the front is not as good, but what really is compared to an NSX? It's pretty nice tho... the interior is much more "spacious"... my head isn't anywhere near the ceiling and I don't feel wedged into the car.

I had to recline the seat in the NSX to keep my head off the ceiling when I had my helmet on, no issues again in the p-car. Side by side of course, the 997 looks gigantic, but so does a C6 Corvette, GTR or any other modern car. I really enjoyed how compact the NSX was, one of my favorite features however as I've stated before, I'm not in a position in my life where I want the car to beat me up, I need something more relaxing and the p-car fits the bill... lets not forget it's a 2+2, however much of a joke those +2 seats are, they'll still fit my kids. :)

Throw in awd, nav, hands free, sport suspension etc etc (basically everything a modern car has) and you can see where I'm going. The car is civilized but at a press of a button, the suspension becomes race ready. Modern technology... with real traction/stability control.

My plan is to eventually pick up an 02-05 NSX, in either white, blue or imola and keep it mostly stock (well, that's a lie but whatever). :) I'm pretty sure I'll have another one someday, just not sure when... they're becoming rare, but they're not scarce yet.

I can understand your car evolution.I'm in the same boat with two young children.At some point I'll have to look at sport sedans.As it is now any road trips demand an suv anyway:frown:

What are the specs on the SOS SC NSX?
Steve

412 rwhp 317rwtq intercooled ..... those numbers will get you to 120-122 trap speed.

My comment was only to note that if you like or love a NSX and the only downside is power then there are options.

If you want to keep the engine stock and with a stock like powerband then the superchargers are for you. If you want the max then the SOS intercooled is the one you want. Not only will this max what the engine can hold but without the option to vary boost by gear any more power is a waste ---- 1st gear would be almost useless. I have short gears and the 4.235 and my 1st gear from a dig is over is less than 3 seconds and the tires are on the edge of traction.

If you know you will want more power and don't care about a NSX like powerband or like a turbo powerband then that's the option for you. You not only can get more power with ease but you can tune the boost by gear and have full traction in all gears with monster power in 3rd 4th and 5th (6th) .... unless you like that scary on the edge over the edge traction thing.

Or be a big baller and get a stroked FI engine.

The NSX was not designed for this kind of power. It can hold 400-550 rwhp (chassis) so you have to made a decision is 400 enough (~121 trap speeds) ---supercharger, 550 enough (~133 trap speeds) ----- turbo/stroked FI. Any thing more than that and you should probably get a car designed for that power or at least 100 rwhp hp shy of that power not nearly 250-300 rwhp.

If you want modern things in a car, more driver aids, more advanced engineering (special super fast transmission) bling interior ....... that's not a power issue you want a new car -- the one Honda never built and probably never will.

Like the OP stated, there is no place to exercise this type of power ..... the only good thing in relation to the NSX is that you don't have to drop gears to have power. My 60-100 time in third gear (4.2s) is faster than using 2nd and 3rd (4.4s) due to the shift..... so if some asshole is tailgating me or I need to accelerate in a lane quick to keep some prick from cutting me off .... boom I have the power ( I typically roll in 3rd unless I'm on the interstate).

Also knowing you have a sub 4 sec 0-60 car, 11.0 sec car, and 120+ trap speed car is therapeutic ---- the performance matches the looks of the car and knowing that is priceless regardless of the dumb dick revving their engine besides you. Other than that the power is a waste .... case in point I love driving my slow S2000.

Last edited:
412 rwhp 317rwtq intercooled ..... those numbers will get you to 120-122 trap speed.

Can't say I have ever seen a SC NSX trap at those speeds in the many many many years I have been on here.

Can't say I have ever seen a SC NSX trap at those speeds in the many many many years I have been on here.

Yeah, mine wasn't that fast... but I just had the Comptech SC... bought it before SOS came out with theirs. I put 373 to the wheels. Car was definitely fast... but probably more like 110-115 trap I'd guess.

To get it to the next level, I would have to dump a bunch more money.. and just keep going from there.

Just got to the point were it didn't make sense to me. I'd like to grab another NSX someday soon and probably keep it mostly stock. There's a certain enjoyment that comes from just driving a car the way the engineers designed it. S2000 is a great example... The NSX needs more power, but probably not 500hp. lol

Yeah, mine wasn't that fast... but I just had the Comptech SC... bought it before SOS came out with theirs. I put 373 to the wheels. Car was definitely fast... but probably more like 110-115 trap I'd guess.

My car did 412 and about 300TQ and it was probably around 115 also. I never ran it, but that was BBSC vs. a roots style blower.

Devin trapped 120's at 11psi on his bbsc a few years back. he even had his luggage in the trunk. just look through some old posts.

Devin trapped 120's at 11psi on his bbsc a few years back. he even had his luggage in the trunk. just look through some old posts.

True. That was a BBSC though and making a lot more than 412 RWHP.

I should say I have never seen a Roots Blown NSX trap at those speeds.

Even Comptechs own hi-boost car only trapped at 117MPH according to C&D.

Added some carbon...

P6030001.jpg

... and one of the reasons I got her:

P6030012.jpg

.. to go offroad! ;)

Last edited:
Can't beat having a TT cab (best combo IMO), and the Imola is cherry on top!

So what's next? GIAC flash?

Can't beat having a TT cab (best combo IMO), and the Imola is cherry on top!

So what's next? GIAC flash?

Gonna put a few more miles on her first... only has 4k. Next step after side skirts and a lip is exhaust.. probably a milltek like my S4.

The chip stuff can wait till next year, or when the car starts to feel slow to me, whichever comes first! :smile:

Eric, congrats on the new car. Never a porsche fan until the carrera gt came out. But realistically how many people have $400,000 to throw on that car. The Porsche's are nice but not as exotic looking as the nsx from the exterior. I would have to admit though that the nsx does have to get updated on the interior. Again congrats on the new ride. Frank

Congrats on the purchase ! Im starting to get bored with my car but hopefully that will change once the car is finished. I keep thinking of Gallardo, GT3, GTR etc. The GTR is a great car but it is such a TANK !!!

The chip stuff can wait till next year, or when the car starts to feel slow to me, whichever comes first! :smile:

I can relate.

I'm putting off upgrades on the z06 until it starts to feel slow.

I looked around for mods right after I got it but I just don't see a need yet despite 500whp being just a couple grand away.

Right now, there is just no point as i'm just blown away every time I drive the thing.

Lovely car. Have fun Doc.

Eric, congrats on the new car. Never a porsche fan until the carrera gt came out. But realistically how many people have $400,000 to throw on that car. The Porsche's are nice but not as exotic looking as the nsx from the exterior. I would have to admit though that the nsx does have to get updated on the interior. Again congrats on the new ride. Frank

Thanks guys... yeah, I'm driving the car that I swore I'd never buy. Funny how life works out.

I know I'll have another NSX someday... just a matter of time! I see my black one is already on Autotrader... someone should pick it up and keep it clean for me until I'm ready to buy it again! :smile::smile:

Added some carbon...

P6030001.jpg

)

Congrat's from another ex-NSX now 997 driver. Many happy, safe miles to you.

The only thing I'd change, if I were you, would be the exhaust. The stock exhaust on the 997TT is too tame for me. I put X51 headers and the PSE on my 997S and it is amazing.

I should be up there for my annual Seattle road trip in August, you gotta give me a ride in that thing.

Back