ticket for upside-down plate?

can you get pulled over for hanging your license plate upside down?
i'd like to get "XSN" and hang it upside-down (someone already has "NSX" in MI).

Attachments

• nsx.gif
    nsx.gif
    14.9 KB · Views: 741
nicholas421 said:
Only if anyone notices that it's upside down. ;)

Maybe you can combine it with one of those license plate frames that hides the top and bottom of the plate...

nicholas421 said:
i'd like to get "XSN" and hang it upside-down (someone already has "NSX" in MI).

Maybe you won't.... we do know you have great luck :D :D :D

You should not rely on the hypothesized replies that the arm-chair legislators in this forum provide.

Why not ask a cop? Whenever I think of a traffic question, I ask the person most likely to issue the citation.

nsxtasy said:
Maybe you can combine it with one of those license plate frames that hides the top and bottom of the plate...

that would be a lot easier and cleaner than what i was planning on doing...

Attachments

• nsx.gif
    nsx.gif
    21 KB · Views: 706
Re: Re: ticket for upside-down plate?

AaronR said:
Maybe you won't.... we do know you have great luck :D :D :D

if by luck you mean the ability to slip organizers a couple C notes to ensure that my name is on top... yeah... i'm lucky :p

You should not rely on the hypothesized replies that the arm-chair legislators in this forum provide.

Why not ask a cop? Whenever I think of a traffic question, I ask the person most likely to issue the citation.

i have a feeling that the response may vary from cop to cop.
the idea doesn't seem so clever to me anymore.

The other reason the idea might not seem so clever is this. Let's say you get pulled over for some other citation. The cop thinks your plate says NSX and he runs it through. He (or she) finds that the owner info doesn't match your driver's license, and thinks the car is stolen (or notices that the plates are different, and sees what you've done). He may not cite you for the plate thing, but he could become a lot less lenient on the citation for which he pulled you over.

My suggestion - think of some way you could have a unique plate without going upside down. Remember, the reason NSX is taken is that there are probably a few hundred NSXs in your state, so there are a lot of folks who might have asked for it. But do something more specific - like NIX NSX (my personal favorite if my name were yours), NICK NSX, TRBO NSX, 99 NSX, etc - and your chances of getting that plate become much better. And there are always the old standbys like NSXTASY, NSXOTIC, NSXTREME, NSXLENT, etc.

Nick,

Just settle for NSX TT before I beat you to it.

Tim

In NY it is illegal to hang your plate up-side-down. I was trying to get a decal made of my license plate and can not find anyone to do so after calling or going to every decal, vinyl, sign company in my phone book. On a visit to one sign company I found a very knowledgeable business owner who filled me in on all the things that are legal or illegal when it comes to license plates.

Pretty obvious why most are illegal. I was hoping to get a decal made of my plate to use as the front plate. I figured it would look cleaner, be more aerodynamic, and lees likely to catch a cops attention that there is not a real plate there. On the other hand, as the sign maker enlightened me, what happens when I go through a road block. Not only do I not have a front plate installed I now have a forged instrument in my possession. This may be the same way a keen cop would perceive a up-side-down plate.

Have you got those year and month stickers we must apply at the top of the plate in SoCal? I guess you could put them at the bottom upside down.

(someone already has "NSX" in MI).
That would be me!:D

22Custom-Liscense-Plate.JPG

23Rear.JPG

Sorry - but I'm not likely to give that up in the near future. :cool:

(notice my user name)

Last edited:
DO NOT DO THIS!

You really don't want to do this. In essence you are creating your own, non-official license tag. The authorities view this as an intentional effort to deceive the government.

Crimes like this are considered crimes of moral turpitude. They are very serious, in the same vein as avoiding paying income tax. Penalties if convicted go beyond monetory fines and include deportation for non-US citizens.

Ask me how I know this . . . . :--)

Back