thoughts on the Infiniti FX45

Last weekend my wife and I went to the Infiniti dealership to possibly buy a four door G35. While there I test drove the FX45(Infiniti's SUV) and man I'm in love. That thing is super comfy, tons of room, plenty of power(315hp) and has every gadget you can think of.

I'm at the point of buying and wanted to see if anyone had any pros or cons on the vehicle or if there was something else that I might be overlooking in the $45,000 range. My wife really prefers the G35 and I like the 2 door version alot, but the interior of the four door looks a little to cheap to me and we must have the 4 door. Any suggestions. thanks

I like the G35coupe.

But if it HAS to be a 4-door, I think you're better off with the FX. It has a very aggressive stance to it, moreso than most SUV's in the market, save the H2.

i'm also in love with the FX45...it's a crossover but handles like a coupe.....the original marketing cars in orange were a bit overwhelming for me, but after seeing a few silver and black ones on the street.....man, they're sweet. can't beat the 20 in wheels

I love the look of them......That low stance, aggresive styling, coupled w/ those 20in. rims & 315hp, how couldn't one love it?

I mean as far as SUV's go.....it's no NSX.....but hey what is..

Adam

Did you try getting in the back seat? The rear door opening is so small (because of the realative short wheel base and the huge wheels) that on the first day of the New York Auto Show the rubber door gasket/seal near the seat was badly torn. I had trouble getting in and I'm not a big guy. Additionally, I think the 350Z has more room behind the seats.

With that said. I do think it looks awesome. Understand that functionality has been compromised for design. As a product designer, do I mind? I do if Nissan was positioning it as a family vehicle (which I do not think they are) because FX has plenty of "sport" but very little "utility".

Save the bucks and go for the FX35

I drove both FX45 and 35 and cannot justify the added ~$7K. The invoice on the FX35 with Tech pkg is $41.5K, with Sport pkg (includes the 20" wheels) is $36.8K. The exhaust on the 35 actually sounds meaner than the 45.

My only concern is that Infiniti has a lousy resale value and I want to give them a few years to see how they fare. But if I were to go for one today, it would be a black FX35 with Sports package. I think I could work a deal for ~$38K. They have tons of these vehicles and will deal.

I looked at the Crossfire yesterday and it kinda reminds me of the FX. They aren't selling even though they are limiting the numbers. My Chrysler dealer was adding $3K to the MSRP, now will deal. I kinda like its looks and feel. Almost zero rear view. The seats are real comfortable and have a nice Mercedes like feel. Didn't drive it.

i just got my road&track mag with a crossfire cd attached....just chucked it in the trash can......imo, it's not that attractive. with greedy dealers out there, it'll probably turn out to be another ford thunderbird story.....couldn't wait to give them away....:)

I really love FX45. I think that it's the most attractive car in that class!! I just the way it looks especially when it zooms by...

Man, am I in time for current events!!

As some of you might know, I'm doing some research for SUV shopping. The Escalade, as I mentioned, is really comfortable and luxurious. However, the FX45 seems like a smarter buy because it cost less and I don't need to change the rims to make it look good. Basically, the car speaks for itself and I'm really leaning towards it now. As a side note, what do you guys think of the FX with the chrome rims? I think 20+ inch rims look better in chrome, please tell me your thoughts.

NsxJoy said:
As a side note, what do you guys think of the FX with the chrome rims? I think 20+ inch rims look better in chrome, please tell me your thoughts.

I think that it would depend on the color of the car. If it's a rich/deep colors like Black, blue, and etc.. it would look good. If it's metallic like silver, titanuim.. it may look weird.. my 2 cents...

My wife and I are also looking at the FX. I would agree that I do not think the FX45 is worth the extra over the FX35. Plus with the modifications coming out for the 350Z/G35, those will work on the FX as well. So you could easily make up the performance difference and still come out cheaper. Check out:
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=FX45

We do take our SUV's off road to go camping/backpacking and towing our boat so I think we are leaning towards the Nissan Murano in AWD.

Haven't decided yet though.

Back