thoughts on S2000 vs Porsche Boxster S vs BMW Z4

Has anyone driven all three of these cars recently? What are your thoughts about these?

I need a sports car in my life, and I'm pretty sure it will be the Acura NSX or HSC, but I needed to do my homework and test out the others just to make comparisons to.

I drove the Boxster S tonight, and will compare it to the Z4 in a couple of days. I liked the Boxster S, but have nothing to compare it to right now.

Your thoughts please.

I've driven 2 out of the 3

The Boxster has a great ride/feel to it, just a little too common for my taste, plus it shares front end looks with the entire "line". The S2000 is a great car/value for the $$. The engine screams, the lines are attractive, the ride/handling are excellent, but the feel from the driver's seat with the top up is a little to claustrophobic feeling for my taste. The Z4 is just too ugly IMHO to want to test drive, but hey, whatever floats your boat. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, buy what you like and can afford, opinions (mine and others) shouldn't sway you. I will state that when I'm driving my NSX and walk out into the parking lot, I get a real kick knowing that I have the keys to the one car in the lot that given the choice of all of them I most want to drive. That's a great feeling. In an objective vein, the Boxster still garners top reviews, and the S2000 isn't far behind. Whether the S version of the Porsche is worth the extra $$$ is another question that you have to answer. Best of luck with whatever direction you choose!!!

I've not driven the Z4, but the lines are starting to grow on me.
The Boxster S has mountains of torque compared to the (old)
S2000. Personally, I like the S2000 more because it is SO lithe and nimble and the transmission is awesome! I've had no problems with the S2000 except that it is a magnet for door dings
(90% in my own garage).

I've driven the Boxster S and the S2K and I would take the Boxster S. It has more HP and low-end torque and just feels a lot more solid than the S2K. The 3 cars you're comparing are really more for leisure driving with the top-down, and around town, I want more low end HP and TQ.

-Awais

O-Ace said:
I've driven the Boxster S and the S2K and I would take the Boxster S. It has more HP and low-end torque and just feels a lot more solid than the S2K. The 3 cars you're comparing are really more for leisure driving with the top-down, and around town, I want more low end HP and TQ.

-Awais

Have you driven the 04 S2K? The new 2.2L has a lot more hp/tq than rated.

I've driven my friends 00 s2k and it was a fun car, especially feeling the rear slide out :D . by the way i noticed that the s2k had much more headroom than the nsx.

I've driven an S2K and a Boxster. I actually liked the S2K a bit better, though not by much. Having torque is great but I thought the Boxster shifter, interior, and aesthetics left much to be desired. It also very noticably understeered - maybe the aftermarket tires? The "Big Reds" were awesome though! I liked the ignition button on the S2K, the steering wheel, shifter was much better, braking was on par but lacking those beautiful "Big Reds" calipers, handling was better IMHO.

Haven't driven a Z4. Driven a 4 cyl. Z3 - blah. I really find the Bangle designs very unattractive. The interior isn't bad.

I've driven all 4.

If you're looking for the best of the bunch, don't look any further than the Boxter S. Make sure you get the sports chassis option. That car handles better and has more power than the S2K and the Z4. The mid-engine of the Porsche just gives it absolutely sweet handling. I actually prefer the Z3 to the Z4, it's a lot more "flingable". The S2K feels like a go-kart, but not as much as the Boxter. The S2K is absolutely tiny and uncomfortable inside. The Z4 feels like an old Mercedes SL when it comes to handling, and the power just isn't that great. I'd definetly choose the Boxter S(sport chassis) over the other two. All arguments aside, I chose an NSX over a Boxter S when I bought my car last summer. The convertible is nice, and I do miss the wind in my hair because I previously drove a Miata and a Z3. I can't say enough good things about the Boxter S though. I'd choose it over a 911 C2 because the handling is that much better. Plus, with chip/intake/exhaust you can get 330hp from a Boxter S. Check out Foriegn Affairs Motorsports for more info.

Ponyboy said:
I've driven an S2K and a Boxster. I actually liked the S2K a bit better, though not by much. Having torque is great but I thought the Boxster shifter, interior, and aesthetics left much to be desired. It also very noticably understeered - maybe the aftermarket tires? The "Big Reds" were awesome though! I liked the ignition button on the S2K, the steering wheel, shifter was much better, braking was on par but lacking those beautiful "Big Reds" calipers, handling was better IMHO.

Haven't driven a Z4. Driven a 4 cyl. Z3 - blah. I really find the Bangle designs very unattractive. The interior isn't bad.

Thanks for all the observations so far. I agree with Ponyboy so far.

I drove the Boxster and Boxster S last night, and after flying home tonight, I drove the Honda S2000. The general manager of the local Honda dealership is a neighbor and friend of mine, so he let me take it home for awhile to play with.

Here are some photos of it in my drive way.

1S2K.jpg

2s2k.jpg

The car felt quite "tight", much tighter feel than the Boxster S for some reason. It reminds me of the NSX feel, which I love.

Anyway, I'll test drive the z3 and z4 tomorrow, and see how they compare. But right now the S2K is my favorite (next to the NSX).

I've owned and loved two S2000's. So please take my comments with that obvious bias in mind.

Hands down, the Boxter S is the best car of the trio you're looking into. I love the styling and felt it had the best motor, best ride/handling combination, best brakes, and most utility. There are only two areas where the Boxster S doesn't surpass the competition and those are tranny and pure visceral thrill. The Honda's 6 speed is light years better and I think the Honda is more exciting and raw in its feel but the Boxster is also more relaxed when you want it to be.

So why didn't I buy one?

Value.

IMO, and only my opinion, the P-car just isn't worth the huge premium over the S2000. When I bought my 2002 Spa Yellow S, the premium for a Boxster S the way I wanted it equipped (sport package, leather, cc, xenon lights) was nearly $30K ($32K for the Honda (before taxes) and $59K for the Porsche). Ouch.

I hate the looks of the Z4 and while I loved the torquey nature of the straight I thought the seats sucked and the whole car was better suited to cruising and being seen in rather than carving corners. That's just me but that's how I felt. Moreover, it's still quite a bit more expensive than the Honda.

I'm one of the few "nutballs" that laments Honda's decision to cater to the American mindset by offering the supposedly improved 2.2L motor because I never felt the S really needed more torque. It isn't a drag racer and I never felt like it was underpowered. Plus the trade off of the visceral thrill of spinning that motor to redline more than offset any penalty.

Of course, our S2K's were weekend, "date" cars that we put more than 10K miles on every year but we didn't need to rely on to slug it out in traffic. Maybe that jaded me.

I don't think you can go wrong with either car. It just depends what you want and what premium you put on the incremental dollar.

I agree with Da Hapa.

I recently helped a friend compare the S2000 with a Boxster -- but with comparable prices. Well-used Boxster (not S) vs. new S2000, <$30k budget. The S2000 won fairly easily. The S2000 is a tremendous value, and has many of the characteristics I enjoy in my NSX.

Re: I've driven all 4.

slashmatt said:
If you're looking for the best of the bunch, don't look any further than the Boxter S.

I would have to disagree.

The S2000 is the best sports car in that class, But it depends on your driving habits. If you want 4cyl screamming at 9000rpm then get the s2000, if not get the other. If you want a car that can handle like a gocart get the s2k, if not get one of the others.

If you want HP and TQ get the comptech SC:D if not get one of the others.

Back