• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thoughts on an MR2 as a Daily Driver?

i owned an MR2 as my DD, it was great...until i swapped in the 3sgte motor, nothing but headaches i never got to fully enjoy it like i did when i was NA. get a nice NA car and upgrade suspension you'll be way faster than a turbo mr2 on everything but a straightaway.

just my $0.02

i want to get a zzw30 (mkiii spyder) for a daily...those things are SO much fun to drive and the maintenance costs are soooooooooo low. :biggrin: with a hardtop they're not girlie at all imho.

I currently have 4 of these cars, but I am modifying almost every aspect of the car (body, V6, brakes, etc). I drive one of them as a daily driver while I am completing the body changes on my primary model. It is a great little car, more visceral than the NSX, certainly not as polished, but so dependable. Almost indestructible, easy to work on, and mine are pre OBD ('91 and '92's). No regrets at all. Love the handling. I know the S2000 is technically mid-engined, but I still feel a little heavy in the front when driving a front mid engined car compared to a rear mid engined car.

You guys are great! Then again should we expect any less on Prime?

Sorry that as the OP I've been absent. I've been spending the last week on the MR2 forums, and no I'm not cheating on Prime.:redface:

Many excellent points. My thoughts.

As for getting a newer one, I just don't like the look of the MKIII

As for the length difference between the 91-92 and 93-95 I simliar to enigma, I cant find anything different on "length".

To Oscar's point...you betcha, even as a DD she'd be getting an upgraded suspension.

The biggest issue I'm finding is the moding of the turbo motors. So many of them are modded so that they won't be CARB legal. That just really cuts the pool down.

Also I've been focussing on the '94 since that is when they put in the passgener airbag. I have a wife and would like to keep her.:wink:

As for N/A I have found a few including a beautiful red 95, the last production year, but I'm just worried abut the lack of horsepower… A daily driver still has to be worthy of an NSX owner ya know!

The S2000 is an option, in that i've worked on them, they are newer, cheaper, and easier to get. My only problem (there always has to be one) is I only want white with a hardtop if I was to do that.

Adding insult to this fun is that I had to pull the front driveshfit out of my Explorer this week since the front differential is shot. Time to look for a new farm vehicle AND a DD…Busy summer ahead.

and of course, with all your great advice I still don't know what to buy!:tongue:

Back