Thinking of going back OEM on muffler...

I recently put the OEM exhaust back on and there's definitely improvement in the lower rpm torque but top end seems somewhat restricted compared to the taitec center exit I had. I would suggest going with quieter aftermarket exhaust so you won't suffer the higher RPM range.

I actually would prefer the trade off of better low end power and loss of little top end. I'm a very slow driver(far right lane) anyways so it wouldn't bother me that much.
If you don't mind me asking, what prompted you to switch back to OEM? Do you have headers?

AK is on to something. to me my car feels like it has more low end grunt when I put the silencers in my gtlw but it suffers into vtec.Off idle a little back pressure is a good thing:smile:

I feel exactly the same recent after changing to ARK-DTS... OMG... how can anyone think this is not a loud exhaust? And I don't even have headers or cat removal. And it killed all the growl from the engine i used to love so much. I feel bad going home because of my poor neighbors. I guess my 200 miles used exhaust will be up for sale or trade (something more quiet) soon.

Its funny, i changed my rims then within one month decided to put my stock ones back on, now i change exhaust, decided the stock is better..... maybe i should just stick with stock car which I believe is great....

Adrian

I actually would prefer the trade off of better low end power and loss of little top end. I'm a very slow driver(far right lane) anyways so it wouldn't bother me that much.
If you don't mind me asking, what prompted you to switch back to OEM? Do you have headers?

I was parting some of the aftermarket stuff I had on my car before selling my car. It still has comptech header. It's uber quiet now...

Maurice,

If you want quiet then consider RS-R if they make one or you can get the GTLW and use the silencers on it. I think the GTLW would good for you with the silencers because if you ever want it to be louder you can always take them off. Good luck.

+1 on GTLW. My 91 has Cantrell headers and GTLW exhaust. I prefer to keep the inner tubes (silencers) installed for a nice & sporty tone. Remove 2 bolts/tubes in a few minutes & it will growl on low RPM's but scream on highs.

I have the GTLW and Random Tech hi flow CATS - for everyday in town driving it's pretty lound because I'm generally always below 3000 RPM cruising. I have since installed the silencers into the exhaust tips and am more than happy with it now. The low RPM drone is gone, pretty close to stock exhaust sound. I'm sure I lost a few HP but I'm driving in town at low speeds anyway so it doesn't matter to me. When I want to hit the track or have the HP back I just remove the silencers which takes about 5 minutes total.

I think it's the best of both worlds without the complexity of an exhaust butterfly valve although for the right price it would be nice to have just to save those five minutes or maybe another cool toy. It's no real issue though -

My set up has test pipes as well but i can't imagine they make that much difference. It is a quieter exhaust than most that i have heard but no where near stock sound imo.

The replacement of the stock cats with test pipes should make quite a noticeable difference in sound volume. It certainly did for me.

I switched from test pipes and JGTC Parallel Exit exhaust to oem cats and Comptech exhaust - all in one fell swoop. The test pipes and JGTC were obnoxiously loud and raspy (like a cheapo Civic with a 5" exhaust tip), unless I had the silencers installed. I felt like the silencers were choking the engine so I didn't like having them in. I decided to go with a Comptech muffler and to get some used cats.

I considered keeping the JGTC installed and putting in the cats to see if it would be acceptable, but that didn't work out as I sold the JGTC before I got the oem cats in hand. I'm pretty sure the majority of the loudness problem was due to the lack of cats.

Anyway, I MUCH prefer the sound now. You can hear the exhaust and intake growl during acceleration yet still hear some gear whine at the same time. Now, it is never obnoxious driving downtown with the echo chamber of tall buildings and lots of people walking around. It used to be embarrassing to open the throttle even the slightest bit with the old exhaust. Now, I can recklessly speed through city streets without the least concern. :wink:

I'm definitely going to install CT headers - hopefully that will enhance and not ruin the current sound. I might consider some Hi Flow cats later down the road, but I'm not really sure those are worth the expense.

Someone suggested bolting on a newer NA2 type exhaust onto the NA1. Is it direct bolt on? Any performance improvement? Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack this topic...

Even with CTSC I went back to the OEM exhaust (kept aftermarket headers) about a year ago because I was tired of the noise and the stainless steel was corroded enough that small holes were forming. The OEM is much more pleasant. I just enjoyed almost 1000 miles round trip to/from a track event out of state with a passenger...would not have enjoyed had I not switched back. I also assume better longevity from OEM. Stainless steel (at least the 304 variety we're familiar with aftermarket exhausts being made from) does corrode, which I think has a lot to do with why we don't see it in OEM applications. The OEM exhaust now has over 30k miles on it and is 17 years old (8 years on the car, 9 off) where the aftermarket had been compromised by corrosion in less than 20k miles over 9 years.

I just enjoyed almost 1000 miles round trip to/from a track event out of state with a passenger...would not have enjoyed had I not switched back.......

I accidently left my OEM engine cover off last year on my annual trip to ATL for NOPI. It was so loud in the cabin that at highway speeds I couldn't hear anyone on my cell or barely hold conversation with passenger.

I have RS-R exhaust w/ Cantrell headers. several NSX owners in Chicago have heard it. Its a little louder than stock until around 4k. Then it sounds F1shhhh :biggrin: Especially in Lower Wacker!:tongue:

The sound definitely changed after having the Cantrell for 500miles. I guess its the break in period to burn more material from the RS-R exhaust. I have my engine cover off and during normal highway driving I can still have a conversation w/ the passenger.

I have just put on one of my stock 91 mufflers that I cored out a bit for the long trip to Portland's Nsxpo. A little louder than the stock but very very quiet compared with my flowmaster I took off. No one looks at me anymore! What the heck, same car, same whipple!
I really can hear everything now, whipple gears, air intake, road noise.
Not sure if I like it, its just not the same.
Now I have to look at my tach to see what the engine is doing! lol
Dan's ARK is real nice from what I can hear but he doesn't have headers yet.
Not sure what I am going to end up with after the trip.
Trev

The Comptech is louder than stock, and after a few years, say 5 or so, it gets louder.

The CT does not drone. IMO, it's a nice street system. I have it with the CT headers.

Same here. I have CTSC, CT headers, and CT exhaust on my black car. It is quite loud but not obnoxious. The CT exhaust is the only aftermarket exhaust that I can live with. I drove CDub's car with the GruppeM ver 2 and previously Tubi Style. I found both exhausts too loud and the resonance/droning was just too tiring.
I once used the ARK DT-S exhaust but it was also too loud. I drove to work everyday and I was quite embarrassed since people noticed and gave me some dirty looks.
My white 3.2L is stock. I actually like it better with its understated elegance. It is quiet but sounds robust with more throttle. The black car, in comparison, is just a little too boy-racer like and flamboyant. The white car sounds effortless and confident.
Steve

Same here. I have CTSC, CT headers, and CT exhaust on my black car. It is quite loud but not obnoxious. The CT exhaust is the only aftermarket exhaust that I can live with. I drove CDub's car with the GruppeM ver 2 and previously Tubi Style. I found both exhausts too loud and the resonance/droning was just too tiring.
I once used the ARK DT-S exhaust but it was also too loud. I drove to work everyday and I was quite embarrassed since people noticed and gave me some dirty looks.
My white 3.2L is stock. I actually like it better with its understated elegance. It is quiet but sounds robust with more throttle. The black car, in comparison, is just a little too boy-racer like and flamboyant. The white car sounds effortless and confident.
Steve

Dirty looks?

I mean...did you make them spill their coffee? :tongue:

I wouldn't worry too much about what people in other cars think about you and your loud exhaust.

People give me dirty looks when they SEE me. :biggrin:

+1 on GTLW. My 91 has Cantrell headers and GTLW exhaust. I prefer to keep the inner tubes (silencers) installed for a nice & sporty tone. Remove 2 bolts/tubes in a few minutes & it will growl on low RPM's but scream on highs.

Lutera- I have your same setup on my 91. Had the headers installed first about 3 weeks ago. Just had to exhaust put on today (old picture to the left). Glad to be rid of those tips!!

It is loud- but a bit more droning than I would care for. I haven't had a chance to really open it up yet with all the rush hour traffic around. From what you say, I think I'll try installing the silencers. ...after a few test runs! :wink:

Well, today I finally got around to swapping out my Dali Rice Rocket exhaust for my OEM system.
After hanging the muffler back onto all four of the rubber hangers, I start lining the muffler with the cats. The right side was a little tough but nothing that couldn't be done. However, the left side was SUPER easy. I was able to move the coverter anywhere I wanted with 5 ins up or down side to side. I thought that seemed like a lot of play so I checked further up the food chain. The I see it, 2 of the 3 nuts that hold the converters to the header extension pipes are gone !!!:eek: I wonder how long those have been missing and I bet that is why i can't tolerate that sound of the exhaust anymore.:mad:
Well the OEM muffler is already hung and I'm not about to try it again as I'm doing this job by myself.
I'll just go to HD and get all new hardware and call it a day.

Last edited:
I tried Home Depot on Lane Ave for exhaust nuts and bolts and was disapointed with their selection. If I recall the size is M12 x1.25 fine pitch (but verify this for yourself). You might try "Threaded Fasteners" on Old St. Augustine Road between University and Emerson. They usually have stainless metric nuts and bolts. Pay with cash :wink: and it's super cheap.

David

David,
I did go to HD this morning for those nuts. 10x1.25 to be exact and you are right, they don't have a great selection.
Now, today I gotta finish the job so I can drive the car again.

Back