Thinking of coming back to the NSX world...except for this one thing.

Greetings

Go and rent a Lotus (or any other car you are interested in buying) so that you can drive it without a salesman or owner sitting next to you. You need to drive it for several hours. You may have to fly somewhere in order to find a rental, but airfare is dirt cheap right now. I rented several cars out of the 46 that I drove before buying my NSX -- took about 10 months to complete. I drove 5 NSX's before buying mine -- colors were not right. I had 2 particular colors in mind.
Good Luck and congrats on graduating as an engineer. I to am an engineer - chemical engineer. I miss not doing actual engineering anymore.

Cheers,
Martin

Alex,
as a toy, the Exige is hard to beat. If you are planning to track it, bring your helmet to the test drive/"fitting". Alot of taller guys have trouble fitting w/ their helmets on, there are some after-market lower seats on Sector111 and other sites, also depends on the brand of helmet, Bell and G-Force are not as low-profile as Arai. Look for a car that has an after-market rear toe-link brace like RTD (again, S111) if you plan on doing alot of track work. pm me if you have more specific questions...
good luck!
Jim

I won't comment on the NSX since you owned one and should have some experience there. However I must say if you have not owned one, buy a 2002+ car and get it supercharged! Any thoughts of the Elise will leave you at that point.

Anyways here's my experience on the Lotus cars:

1) My g/f and every other girl I talked to here in CA consider's it a cute chick car like the Miata so go for it if that is your taste....cute like a puppy :)

2) Unless you ride mostly by yourself or with a girl, I would not drive it since every shift you end up grabbing the guy's leg ~ no kidding!

3) Never crash tested and IMO not a safe car just like the SMART car. A death trap if you were to get hit by an SUV.

4) Not that great styling anyways IMO and reminds me of a mosquito - small and annoying that buzzes around.

5) I had 2 s2000's and thought about buying the Elise and after I drove one for 10 min I was like enough of this crap and bought another s2000. The s2000 feels like a Mercedes compared to the Elise.

As you can tell from my comments I don't like the car unless it's my dedicated track car and I'm simply no baller like that!

If it's just a toy, have you considered other options, such as a Lotus 7 clone or a well built track only car? If between the NSX and Exige, I'd go with the Exige since you don't have to live with it on the street.

With the lotus you need to be very comfortable in you own skin and in the skin of your passenger:wink:If all you do is drive people you are attracted to then it is a great car:redface: If you want to take your buddy to the car show 2 hours away........its gonna be a long two hours of your shoulders/arms and anything else rubbing together:biggrin:

Some funny comments here :)

Safety: Not concerned - I ride motorcycles can't get a worse crash rating than that.

Closeness to passenger: The girlfriend is 112 lbs and 5'3" and hardly ever will a guy ride in there with me.

Loud, noisy rattly: I have a 4runner for when I want to be quite and smooth.

Styling: Yeah it's a little strange, I kinda like it though. Definatly not "classy" though.

Track only type car: This would be used on the street a lot, else I'd be searching for a Radical with the V8 :)

Update: I went to the dealer, they only had a couple Elises. I was suprised just how well I fit! More headroom than my nsx hardtop.
I could use a few more inches but it looked like the seat was right on the floorpan. I didn't have time to take one for a drive however, I'd really like to find a SC model to try too.
I am leaning more towards one after seeing it in person. The fit and finish really didn't seem bad at all.

Lol, the fit is tight .......and there is no "finish"

My Elise attracted crowds like no other car I've owned, unfortunately, mostly teen-aged boys. It was not fun to drive 5 hours to Road America but a blast once I got there. I liked the sport bike on crack sound, ran a decat pipe and Arqray exhaust. You definately have to be chummy w/ your passenger. Most people don't "get" the Elise/ Exige, it looks ridiculously small (even next to an NSX) and it is NOT a chick magnet by any means!
But, take one to the track or your local autocross and everyone expects you to kick ass!

Safety: Not concerned - I ride motorcycles can't get a worse crash rating than that.

Closeness to passenger: The girlfriend is 112 lbs and 5'3" and hardly ever will a guy ride in there with me.

Loud, noisy rattly: I have a 4runner for when I want to be quite and smooth.

Styling: Yeah it's a little strange, I kinda like it though. Definatly not "classy" though.

Sounds like you've made up your mind. Enjoy it! We'll see you back in a year. :wink:

Back