Thinking of coming back to the NSX world...except for this one thing.

I previously owned a 94 Brooklands green with NSXR suspension. I'm thinking about getting a 97+ now but I am having a problem...the Exige S is very tempting.
68538d1197335045-chopping-monexige1wo1.jpg

How I see it:
NSX pros (over the Exige):
Reliable
Comfortable

Cons...already owned one, probably a little more boring to drive.

Exige S pros
Haven't owned one before
More of a go-cart feel
More power

Cons: not reliable, poor build quality, harder to find(maybe a pro).

This would mostly be an around town toy.
Any thoughts if i am way off base?
Anyone driven both and can comment?

A track car that you can drive on the streets (but I wouldn't want to for very long) vs a road car you can drive on the track.

If you haven't driven a lotus, take a try. I can't stand being inside those things.

Personally, buy a '97, SC it, enjoy. (solves that "power" issue).

That's a tough decision. There are some things I thought of that might skew your decision on way or the other: are you on a budget?, what are the road conditions like where you live?, whats the weather like in your area?, do you need some room for carrying items?

Have you driven one? They are useless for anything other then cutting up your favorite twisties, or a good track car. They are not a around town type of car. They are fun to drive for a short period of time, ride like shit, are loud as hell, are hard to get in and out of and have no room for anything other then two short skinny Brits. LOL… I still want one, but just cant justify it :biggrin:

I love the Exige but you have to be pretty dedicated to use it (alot) on the streets. Its comfortable (to me) for about 60 min.

Been there: 92 NSX> 05 Elise> 04 NSX.
The Elise/ Exige is a great car but not as nice to drive in the real world. The Exige S does have a slightly better hp:weight ratio than a NA NSX. A naturally aspirated Exige has a similar power: weight ratio as the NSX. The 240S is not street legal here in the states.
I sold my Elise because I got into w2w racing in the formula car and 2 race cars (which the Lotus basically is) seemed redundant. The Lotus body is extremely fragile and expensive to fix, the Toyota drive train is quite stout and I've never heard of a failure in a NA car. I have personally known of 3 rear toe link failures, inexcusable in a car that is marketed as a hard core track toy. A friend of mine recently traded his Exige S on a 2-11, which has an even better hp:weight ratio.
I had driven my Elise to several track days and wished I had trailered it by the time I got home, or had kept the NSX.
If I were rich, I'd get a 2-11 as a dedicated track toy or a black Exige S because it is just so damn sinister looking!
BTW, had an opportunity to share the track with a '96 NSX while I owned the Elise and they were extremely close, I felt the NSX had more pull but the Elise was slightly quicker in really tight corners (again both NA).

Thanks for all the incite. The lotus forums don't really tell you the bad side.

A few answers:
I could do either car financially, they are actually quite close in cost.
It sounds like it is extremely harsh around town...although in comparison I though the NSR w/R suspension was very comfortable, no complaints at all. Sounds like I really need to test drive one to see if I can live with it.

Toe links breaking is ridiculous. I guess thats the shoddy British engineering for you. I've also heard of tranny problems, water leaks, dash going out, random stalling.

Dr Honda, the 240S is street legal here, at least I've seen quite a few for sale with plates on them?

OSUGrad, I graduated from OSU as well, engineering degree :)

I stand corrected, 260S isn't street legal in US.
my old Elise:

Attachments

• 100_2167_0006_006.jpg
    100_2167_0006_006.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 131
You already owned a nsx once. Now you have the opportunity to try something new. If the price is right, carpe diem! You can always do the nsx thing again later.

Friend of mine took me in a ride in his a while back. Fun as shit...but not very comfortable for anything other than a track car. A bit too hardcore for me for a weekend/summer car. I felt stupid sitting in it...it's just too small of a car for me. Smaller than a miata even....by 6 inches, or there about. Plus after a couple females telling me it's a cute car, it kinda upset my wanting one. If I could get it as my 4 or 5th car I would....but I'm not big ballin like that yet. haha
What's the big difference between the elise and the exige?

Did you paint your old NSX's wheels, how'd you get them that color?

get a 97+ NSX and you will not regret, I personally have a friend that has the base Elise, and I am 100% sure he regrets his purchase, 1) way 2 small, 2) not as fast as people think, 3) he droooools over bigger cars all the time 4) he got TIRED of it ....
I am not sure how much "faster" a Elise S can be comparing with the 3.2 with weight reduction + basic bolt ons....

Oscar

I had an Elise on order about a year before they came in to the states.
Went and test drove a Demo car. Could barely get out of it.
Cancelled order.
If I were 4" shorter and 20 years younger the Elise is a great car.
The NSX is greater in almost every way except possibly lap times.

Did you paint your old NSX's wheels, how'd you get them that color?

Not the OP, from the Wiki entry:

Changes for 1994
New Color: Brooklands Green Pearl
Keyed roof color to body color in late-year green cars (first 9 greens were with black roof). The last green with a black roof is 0031. 0032 (and all others) has a green roof.
Dropped Color: Sebring Silver
New Interior Color: Tan
Dropped Interior Color: Ivory
Removed "DOHC VTEC badge" on center console cover
Changed wheel design from 5-spoke to 7-spoke
New wheel color: Solaris Silver, paint code NH-536M (a gunmetal gray color)
Increased Tire and Wheel Sizes to 215ZR45/16 on 16 x 7" Front and 245ZR40/17 on 17 x 8.5" Rear
Gear cut method changed to reduce gear noise
Color-keyed the rear wall of the interior tan for tan interior cars (previously black on ivory interiors).

[edit] Changes for 1997
Three new colors: Kaiser Silver, Monte Carlo Blue, Spa Yellow
Dropped colors: Brooklands Green Pearl, Midnight Pearl
Coupes can be special ordered with either a black top or a body color top; -Ts still have body colored roofs
New wheel color on all wheels: Blades Silver (a bright machined/brushed looking finish)

Buddy of mine had an Exige S upgraded to S 240. Also had some sort of factory track package. Drove it extensively and was immensely fun. The SC helps with the low end torque quite a bit, but you still have to rev the piss outta them to really get going. Very quick cars but they run out of steam at higher MPH. Steering feedback is amazing. Handling is like a cartoon, the thing just turns and responds like physics do not apply. Great track car, ok for public roads. Ride quality is fine actually, but will skip/oversteer/act nervous on bumpy road surfaces. They don't sound very good. I'm 6'2" and cockpit space is fine.... if you can get into the damned thing. Entry and exit require significant thought on approach, some stretching and bending, and decent use of the upper body muscles. All that and you'll probably still get shoe marks somewhere on the interior (not that it really matters in this car). A dedicated weapon vs. a much more all around car (NSX). Quicker down low than the NSX, probably slower >100mph. Handles noticably better on good surfaces, the NSX will probably handle all surfaces better.

So what makes them "not" reliable.:confused: I thought these had toyota 2.2 engines.

Actually, 1.8 liter 2ZZGE, 190 hp in the NA version (the old Celica GTS powerplant). The motor and tranny are fine, quite reliable. Some rear toe link failures and finicky ECU's mostly. The early cars had a weak shifter which was (reluctantly) retrofitted. The front and rear clams are quite thin and fragile and easily cracked w/ minimal impact and very costly to replace. All the other issues are comfort and ergonomics, it either bothers you or it doesn't.

Heres a perspective coming from a guy that has not had his NSX out on the street since Sept of 2008...have seen a Lotus or two and they just do not have any effect on me at all! I turned my head the other day when a car drove by...and of course...it was an NSX...lol...the roads here really suck, and this guy's car was just bobbing back and forth...I felt sad for his car :frown: But it proves that the NSX has more curb appeal! I have sat in a Lotus before...tiny, tiny, tiny! As for the Corvette lovers out there, they may be fast, but boy are they becoming redundant - just like the Mustang...they are everywhere:eek: - I really believe that they need to make two Corvettes and give them different body lines...then the fastest one could become a true exotic.

Dam :cool:

Based on the price of an Exige, buy yourself a Forced Induction NSX - turbo or CTSC. There are some crazy deals out there. One drive and I will be surprised if you still have any interest in the Exige.

What's the big difference between the elise and the exige?

Exige is a dedicated coupe (actually the hard top is removable) with a fastback configuration, mostly to acommodate the intercooler on SC versions.
It has a factory rear wing, side scoops and splitter and a roof scoop. The Eilse has "flying buttress" style B-pillars (like a C3 Sting-Ray or F Dino) and a vertical rear glass, removable soft top (or optional hard top), and no ground effects. Slightly lighter than an Exige but less downforce.

I think I'll stop by the Lotus dealer in the next few days. I'm 6'5" but 175lbs, 26 years old and in shape so I'm thinking I may be able deal with the fit. I race minibikes too and ride sportbikes so I'm used to uncomfortable impractical vehicles :)

This would not be my only car and would purely be a toy. I know the NSX is far more livable day to day, reliable, better built, etc etc, but the go cart nature of the exige sounds like a ton of fun :) As long as I could get one thats not a lemon.

I think I'll stop by the Lotus dealer in the next few days. I'm 6'5" but 175lbs, 26 years old and in shape so I'm thinking I may be able deal with the fit. I race minibikes too and ride sportbikes so I'm used to uncomfortable impractical vehicles :)

This would not be my only car and would purely be a toy. I know the NSX is far more livable day to day, reliable, better built, etc etc, but the go cart nature of the exige sounds like a ton of fun :) As long as I could get one thats not a lemon.

Hell if you can fit into an NSX you can fit into an Exige :biggrin:

Back