Thinking about a '95...

Hi everyone, I hope you don't mind my asking but I'm looking at a 1995 NSX for sale by a private party in Sarasota FL. It has 25,000 miles on it and the seller insists that it's perfect from one end to the other. I spent an hour looking it over yesterday and went for a ride in it but didn't drive it. The seller and I were put in contact with each other by the local Acura dealership where the seller bought the car originally. He's asking $42,500.

The guy is going out of town for a week. Between now and next weekend I would like to have a better idea of what to look for next time when I drive it. I'm currently driving a '98 Mercedes SLK which is pretty nice but the NSX has always been a dream car of mine and I'm thinking of taking the plunge. This would be a daily driver for me. I typically put 10,000 miles a year on a car.

Any input is appreciated. I took a couple pictures yesterday of the car. They are here.

http://www.techquarium.com/temp4/P1292693cs.jpg

http://www.techquarium.com/temp4/P1292694cs.jpg

Thanks in advance.

That price sounds a bit high, but if the car is perfect and all up to date on all maintenance it is fair (IMHO). See the pricing guide in the FAQ. The biggie is the timing belt/water pump - see if those have been changed. If not, it is a pretty costly job, and also indicates that the previous owner didn't keep the car maintained to schedule.

Right after I bought my 1st sports car (a turbo Z, back in the mid 90s) I found out that it was overdue for a timing belt.. man was I pissed!

As Timbo said, check to see if the T/B and water pump have been changed as the car is now ten 10 years old and these service items are over due.

Also, you may want to check the following...
- EPS updates
- Paint work
- Tires, the front one's wera on the inside
- Check the Targa seal for leaks...both wind and water
- Check trunk strut for softness
- check all the electrical stuff

Hope this helps with you purchase, and welcome to Prime.

Bram

bodypainter said:
Hi everyone, I hope you don't mind my asking but I'm looking at a 1995 NSX for sale by a private party in Sarasota FL. It has 25,000 miles on it and the seller insists that it's perfect from one end to the other. I spent an hour looking it over yesterday and went for a ride in it but didn't drive it. The seller and I were put in contact with each other by the local Acura dealership where the seller bought the car originally. He's asking $42,500.

The guy is going out of town for a week. Between now and next weekend I would like to have a better idea of what to look for next time when I drive it. I'm currently driving a '98 Mercedes SLK which is pretty nice but the NSX has always been a dream car of mine and I'm thinking of taking the plunge. This would be a daily driver for me. I typically put 10,000 miles a year on a car.

Any input is appreciated. I took a couple pictures yesterday of the car. They are here.

http://www.techquarium.com/temp4/P1292693cs.jpg

http://www.techquarium.com/temp4/P1292694cs.jpg

Thanks in advance.

bodypainter said:
Any input is appreciated.
First, welcome to nsxprime.

Try reading the purchase process page in the FAQ, it has good tips.

Two points in particular about a 1995 (neither is a make-or-break thing, just worth checking for)--
See if this update was done to the roof latch (there are pics that show what it looks like before and after the update).
The car is now out of the extended (8-year) warranty for the power steering fix described in TSB 99-028 (see this thread). It's a plus if that work has been done already.

This one sounds nice, but there are other NSXs out there. If you don't get this one, other ones will be available.

Last (and least), the pics show that the wheels were balanced with clip-on rather than stick-on weights. This suggests that the owner is not in the total car-nut category (if that matters).

Tom239 said:
Last (and least), the pics show that the wheels were balanced with clip-on rather than stick-on weights. This suggests that the owner is not in the total car-nut category (if that matters).
Wow, good point, and great eye!

I would try to get the car on a lift to look at it from underneath to check the frame, leaking fluids, etc. I would also recommend a pre-purchase inspection done by a reputable mechanic. An NSX tech at a dealership or a 3rd party mechanic very familiar with NSXs would be highly recommended. It should only cost ~$100 but could give you a little more peace of mind. When I was searching I paid to have several different NSXs inspected and even had the one that I ended up purchasing inspected twice! If you are familiar with a body shop you could also take it to them to get their opinion on any signs of repainting/body repair.

On many of the '95s that I looked at the A/C unit seemed to be a problem. Be sure that the fan functions at all speeds on the dial.

And although it is not perfect and should not be solely relied upon for vehicle history you should run a Carfax and/or an Autocheck as well.

And if you can try to drive (or at least get a ride in) a few different NSXs so that you know how they should feel/sound/handle as a comparison. In my case I pretty much looked at every single used NSX in my area regardless of year or color just to get to know the NSX in general. It would be even better if you could get an NSX Prime member in your area who could drive the car that you are interested in and give their impression as well.

Hi Bodypainter and welcome to Prime. Great choice in years! (I have one too).
Good advice from all so far - take it to Crown Acura in St Pete for a PPI. If the timing belt has not been done that needs to be figured in to the price - deduct around $1200 just for that. The tires are critical too - when I bought mine the fronts looked fine, but the insides were bald. Not a big deal price-wise, but the seller is asking strong money.
Also do a Carfax to verify if all is as described, and to check on it's history.
Then buy if and join the club - the NSXCA that is. We have a very active Florida club and always welcome new owners!

Back