Thinkin about buying a Viper....need some advice

hlweyl said:
The NSX is like a fine wine, while the Viper is comparable to Boonsfarm! But hey, we all enjoyed Boonsfarm one time or another. :)

Strawberry Hill got me laid more often than Robert Mondavi.

but seriously...

We've got a '99 RT/10 (Silver) that was "breathed on" by John Hennesey's shop about four years ago. Even after the Ford GT, a Ferrari 575M, and a modified Cobra, it's still the fastest damn car I've ever driven (qtr mile that is).

Comfortable (at all), it is not. A nice car to cruise in, it is not.

It sounds like you don't care how many seats you have, so why not just get the best deal in sports car history and buy a used Z06 if you want more power. The Z06 is nearly as fast as a Viper (stock vs. stock), is inexpensive to modify (compared to the NSX), and has a much nicer interior. I'm sure the Vette will do the job. The Z06 also handles in a much more predictable fashion than the Viper. In fact, the Z06 handles so well that it kicks some serious butt in autocross events.

The NSX is, however, the fine wine. If I was to stay in the two-seat sports-car category, I'd just blow that money on my NSX and get the Comptech supercharger. If you want a CTSC, it's closer to $9k for the targa and $8k for the coupe. They make a high boost kit. Headers/Exhaust from comptech will run around $3500. That puts you at $12.5k with another $1300 in labor, that's about (rounding up) $15k. It still won't beat a viper in a straight line, but it'll destroy it in every other category.

redline-nsx said:
Now, the release of that car gave me the "itch" to buying a new car. I really loved the specs on that (and the 06 M3). BUT I worry about getting the first model year of ANY car AND my impatience has prompted me to look at what I can get kind of soon rather than waiting a year or more for something.... But I have considered that option as well.

Since a fully optioned '06 330i pushes $48k, don't expect the M3 to sticker, on the bottom end for anything less than $55k. The M3 will be an '07 model. The C6 Z06 will destroy all comers, and that's all I have to say about that. You won't be able to find a car for less than $200k that'll keep up.

I FIRMLY agree with the new Z06 being a monster. On Z06vette.com and many other sites too there is a link to the new Z06 running the 1/4. Trap speed was 124mph with the driver saying "I was being very careful with the car".

They are dynoing in the 465rwhp range and weigh 3100lbs :biggrin: I am not going to post the whole spec sheet, but I think we all know how annihilating this car will be.

On Viperalley.com there is talk of the 07' Viper being upped to 600hp just stay on top of the hill!

Back