• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Theft problems with NSX

My wife and I love the NSX and are planning to purchase a 2001 Silverstone (if we can find one), but we are concerned that the seats in this car (or other parts) may be unusually desirable to thieves. Our concern was prompted by a friend's experience--the seats were stolen from his brand new S2000 just 3 weeks after he bought it. He later discovered that this is a widespread problem because there is a market for this type of seat (modified Civics, Integras, etc.) and they can be sold on e-Bay. If this problem exists with the NSX, is a seat lock available that can address it?

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to becoming NSX owners!

I have a 2001 silverstone, 6 speed with 13k miles on it available. PM ME for details.

Don't let the potential theft concern keeping you from getting the NSX. The seats are easily removed if the thief wants it. The S2000 are more popular due to ricer wanting to pimp up their ride. NSX are great car that you should get it and enjoy it as much as you can. Besides, If you can afford 01 NSX then you should have no problem getting proper insurance coverage for it.

Most of the NSX parts, including the seats, are not easily interchangeable with other Honda/Acura models. The NSX is not known as a theft target, the way certain other cars are (e.g. Integra Type R).

A friend of mine had his seats stolen from his S2000. They thieves cut a hole through his soft top, unlocked the door and got the seats. The seats are apparently real easy to steal. All it took was four bolts, and they were gone. That definetly is not going to stop me from getting an X! Seats can be replaced...car insurance!

Wow, I've never even heard of this type of problem with the NSX. I don't believe the NSX shares many common parts/mounting with other Hondas (not as much as the S2000 at least), so I don't think this would be as much of a problem.

I've had my miata top cut recently, in this case the top cost more than the stuff they stole.

well S2000 seats are not interchangeable with other models either..it's just that they are nice and there's a market for them...there's not a market for stolen NSX parts really..people don't know enough about them to want them to show their friends. And really NSX seats aren't 'that' nice so I wouldn't worry about it 'that' much personally.

EIFFEL said:
Don't let the potential theft concern keeping you from getting the NSX. The seats are easily removed if the thief wants it. The S2000 are more popular due to ricer wanting to pimp up their ride. NSX are great car that you should get it and enjoy it as much as you can. Besides, If you can afford 01 NSX then you should have no problem getting proper insurance coverage for it.

Hey there. I live in Miami and I had a 1992 stolen back in '00 . Thank God for Insurance. I now have a '95 and installed a LoJack system as added security and theft deterrance.

NSXLVR said:
A friend of mine had his seats stolen from his S2000. They thieves cut a hole through his soft top, unlocked the door and got the seats. The seats are apparently real easy to steal. All it took was four bolts, and they were gone.
This has happened to many S2000 owners, including me :(
I've never seen NSX seats in a Civic or Integra, though. They're a little harder to get to and stick out a LOT more. Also, I think power seats are less desirable since most of the donor recipients don't have power seats. Installing NSX seats in an Integra or Civic while retaining full adjustability could prove to be very difficult.

dave22 said:
This has happened to many S2000 owners, including me :(
I've never seen NSX seats in a Civic or Integra, though. They're a little harder to get to and stick out a LOT more. Also, I think power seats are less desirable since most of the donor recipients don't have power seats. Installing NSX seats in an Integra or Civic while retaining full adjustability could prove to be very difficult.

Good point.

If someone wants something bad enough you cant stop them, but when it comes to the NSX, their are so few of them I do not think thieves, look for these cars mainly because it is built on a different platform, and not many parts are interchangable with honda's lower line, such as civics and integra's, that's like robbing a bank for $5 dollars, there are people out there that are stupid enough to do things like that, but hey, Ferrari's get stolen also, but not for their seats to put into other types of passenger cars..I wouldnt let honda's parts theft deture you from the NSX, you have as much less of a chance of your NSX getting stolen, than a Ferrari, also the insurance and gas mileage on a NSX is alot better...The main reason people take S2000 seats is that they are easy to fit them into civics, and integra's, the same is not true of NSX seats..Hope this helps... :wink: :biggrin:

Fast Pacer said:
My wife and I love the NSX and are planning to purchase a 2001 Silverstone (if we can find one), but we are concerned that the seats in this car (or other parts) may be unusually desirable to thieves. Our concern was prompted by a friend's experience--the seats were stolen from his brand new S2000 just 3 weeks after he bought it. He later discovered that this is a widespread problem because there is a market for this type of seat (modified Civics, Integras, etc.) and they can be sold on e-Bay. If this problem exists with the NSX, is a seat lock available that can address it?

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to becoming NSX owners!

Yeah...there's a market. S2000 seats are a commodity in the ricer aftermarket. I don't think there's much of a market for NSX seats. Hell, most those guys don't even know this car has been still built for the last 10 years.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've left my car w/ the top off a bunch of times in DC and so far, so good. I can't count on it lasting forever, but NSX's draw enough attention that there's always someone looking at them and so they aren't as theft-prone.

Plus, I always park right in front, even if there's a hydrant or busstop there b/c usually a doorman is an off-duty cop and I know him.

But, you can ALWAYS pick up bolts of some type with weird heads on them. Starbits and other uncommon elements, squares and things. You'd just have to look around.

Statistically if you want a car that won't be stolen? Get a Rolls!!! ALL cars are stolen, but, like the Rolls, the NSX would be very easy to spot.
Calling in a stolen NSX going down the road is about the same as calling in a Rolls. Most people don't even know what it is, but it does stand out as different.
It is good to check, but you won't see the NSX as a model on any list of "most stolen cars." There's more money for thieves in chopping the hottest ricers.
Good advice from others here, and you should take whatever precautions YOU need to take to get into the comfort zone with owning whatever it is you buy. I believe Lojac is a good fit for your type of head.
One other ripoff - the latest deal on insurance fiascos is that if your car (any model) is totalled, they only offer about 70% of the value as payoff. Check into that too - and carry insurance against that situation. I decided to finance my car, and this time I bought every policy they had - layoff insurance - payoff insurance for the total loss situation mentioned above - and credit life as well. Cost me a bit more, but I sleep well at night and don't worry about my car or the situations related to the car.

Zap

They wont be stolen for swapping parts into civics and integras... I'm an integra person and i've never seen seats from an nsx in another car... HOWEVER... the only other thing i have seen off the nsx on integras are the brakes... But it still requires a little modification to make the calipers fit on the integra platform, and isn't that well known of a thing. (Legend calipers work just as well and they exist everywhere). The reason S2k seats became so popular is not only looks/leather etc... But the fact that all you need to do to bolt one on in an integra or EG civic is to swap the bottom plates from the seats and they will bolt right up.

If anything and you are worried about theft, i would personally go with some fuel kill switches, a lojack etc.. the fuel kill switch is the most effective piece IMO (cheap to install as well). After driving an integra GSR I am constantly worried about theft, and I have a device similar to the "club", fuel kills, alarm, and a ravelco kill device... It all depends on how far you want to go to protect your car, but like I said earlier, the kill switch is the best I feel, stop them from taking your car, instead of finding it after they have (lojack)

My 93 NSX was stolen 2 weeks ago and when it was found my seats , driver door panel and my 18/19 rims and tires was gone. The insurance company said they was going to pay to have my car fixed good as new , but wanted to replace the seats with used NSX seats and locate some and have new leather put on them so it would look new and I asked why not buy new seats so I would not have to wounder if the power seats would stop working soon down the line. I was told new seats cost to much , I need some feedback, what should I do ? I want new seats NOT used ones.

Smiley said:
My 93 NSX was stolen 2 weeks ago and when it was found my seats , driver door panel and my 18/19 rims and tires was gone. The insurance company said they was going to pay to have my car fixed good as new , but wanted to replace the seats with used NSX seats and locate some and have new leather put on them so it would look new and I asked why not buy new seats so I would not have to wounder if the power seats would stop working soon down the line. I was told new seats cost to much , I need some feedback, what should I do ? I want new seats NOT used ones.

Just bid on your old ones when they come up for auction on ebay! :biggrin:

Back