The Question. Why did you buy NSX?

First of all, i'm a huge Ayrton Senna fan, and at the time, i knew the connection NSX <-> Senna and knew that he had a couple in his house here in Portugal...a red and a black one.
Secondly, it was love at first sight (through pictures).
i just had to have one...and knew it would take a lot of time to get one, but it came sooner...a lot sooner than i expected, due to a pluton-jupiter-mars-sun-kind-of-alignment business...now i have it...

if i ever have to sell it...i will not rest until i can have another one....

I live in So. Cal so,

P-cars: everywhere you look

Vette: everywhere you look

NSX: Classic sports car looks and is still exclusive based on how many are left.

Because I've been buying Acura's since 1996: 1994 Integra GS-R, 2002 RSX Type-S, 2005 TL, 2004 NSX - it was just the logical progression!

And, in 2002 when I bought the RSX, the dealer had a new Rio Yellow NSX in the showroom. The sales manager said I was qualified to buy the NSX instead, smirk. My ex-wife said, "Uh-huh, only if you're going to sleep in it also."

Last year my wife was the one talking *ME* into buying the NSX! Good trade, eh?

-D
2004 Rio Yellow / Onyx

It was an Impulse buy during an oil change. I didn’t wake up that morning with the intent on buying a car, just a 30,000 mile service on my TL-S. I have always loved the car since it first came out and had looked at several 95's and up but never found the "one" worth jumping into the purchase. Luckily all the stars aligned, my wife spotted the one we purchased on the showroom floor and to my surprise - suggested we pick it up. I always new I would have an NSX someday but never did I think I would buy a new one off the floor.
Main reasons, reliability, looks and cost of ownership.

The car is like a time machine because whenever I drive it I feel 16 again!

It's a Honda. It's rare, good gas mileage, reliable and runs forever. Fairly easy to work on too.

The car is like a time machine because whenever I drive it I feel 16 again!

Is that why all the high school kids want to stop me in the middle of the streets?

Last edited:
It's a Honda. Good gas mileage, reliable and runs forever. Fairly easy to work on too.

Is that why all the high school kids want to stop me in the streets?

Yup...I took my daughter to a High School dance in my NSX and I was treated like a GOD!

Its neat reading some of your stories. While I do not yet own one. I see me in some of your stories. I have always loved the NSX since High School. I went to pick a friend up at the Acura Dealership down the road from the Saturn dealership where I was getting an oil change(he drove an 88 Legend) and there she was a 99 red NSX. The dealer let me sit in the car(which I found out later he wasn't supose to) and I fell in love. I have riden around several racing around Road Atlanta. My Fiancee who watches the Deal or No Deal show says if they offered me my dream NSX Bets I would give in. I know the next car I shop for will be the NSX.

You've never seen a Vette or a 911 live? Where do you live? :confused:

I know from other posts that you are looking into buying an "exotic" type of sports car, but why don't you start with something a little more realistic as a beginner sports car. Say, an MR2. or Miata to get you feet wet, so to speak. Heck, in another thread you were even looking at a Fiero! IMO, you should start by spending less money and seeing if a small 2-seater sports car is really the avenue that you wish to pursue. Then step up to a Vette, or a 911, or even an NSX.

JMO

Made more sense to me then any other car. I always wanted an NSX from my senior year in High School.

Well to keep from rambling let me just try to break it down as far as the reason I purchased the car.
1) Car holds its value.
3) Exclusiveness of the car
4) Design of the car in my opinion will never get dated. Design was ahead of its time.
5) Reasonable to maintain. Its not cheap but much better then a Ferrari. Oil change is only 50 dollars.
6) It is a car I have always wanted.
Well a lot of the reasons I bought the NSX is what he said above so I quoted the pertinent areas.....hehe

I've never had a Porsche either till I recently got the 997 GT3 - it's a wild ride and no disrepect to Porsche for simply building an AWESOME car. It didn't disappoint in terms of speed and for my first P-car it was quite nice :)

However it was not the right car for me since it's not all about speed. I want a car that can also have the exotic look and turn heads. The nsx does this for me plus it is a very mod friendly car. So it was an easy choice for me.

Happy owner here!

rick

Always liked them when they came out......After waiting 12yrs. got affordable.....You don't see one on every corner....and you damn sure don't see one like mine....very modified...post photos someday...:wink:

You've never seen a Vette or a 911 live? Where do you live? :confused:

Just what I was thinking Ken!

I kind of answered this question in another thread, but I'll answer again. Why an NSX? Well, the answer is General Motors.

I was looking for a sports car in '00. Went to check out a couple of low mileage vettes (one a '97 and the other a '98). After test driving both, I made an appointment for the Dentist to reinsert my fillings. Just kidding. But the one word I have to discribe about both of them is "Loose". For both have under 23k miles, they shook around like they had traveled to Pluto and back. They were typical GM.

Then I went to the Honda dealer in Modesto. They had two S2000's on the showroom, a Black and Yellow. The dealer would not allow any test drives. It didn't matter, I didn't fit very well, actually, down right uncomfortable.

Sigh....I started checking into F and P cars, and as much as I enjoy doing my own maintenance, I really didn't have the liquid assets to keep the cars running for long trips.

Then my x and I went to a Acura dealer to check out the CL's and TL's. While cruising through the showroom, I spotted a nice picture of an NSX. Of Course! Eureka! I'd seen the NSX in magazines and ONE on the road some time back. I asked the dealer if they had any NSX's available. He said he could get one with a deposit. He also let me know the price. Way out of my league. Hum...started to wonder about what a used NSX would go for.

And, as someone else said earlier, "then I found this damn site". Located an NSX in the bay area and drove down to take a look. It was green (white was my first choice), the last color I was looking for, but at least it would give me a chance to see one up close and maybe even drive it.

As the owner opened the garage door, I was blown away with the color. Even my X gasped. We checked the car out from top to bottom and then a test drive. My friends, for those of you who have never drove an NSX, put it on your list of things to do before you die. And for the same price as a late 90's Vette, NO COMPARISON! Thank you GM for making crap. The rest is history.

Last edited:
Why an NSX?

When the C6 Corvette first came out in '97, they were impossible to get. I live in Minnesota and did a nationwide search and found a new one in Detroit Michigan (April 97) serial number 848. That summer you rarely saw a C6. Summer of 1998, they were all over the street, no panache. I sold the car in 1999, no because it wasn't a decent car, just boring to drive. At 70 mph, the car turned 1500 rpm. It was fun at 120 mph but boring at 70. I also had a 1986 Porsche 911, much more fun to drive a 70.

Fast forward to 2004, I bought the new BMW 545, 6 speed, sport pkg. Again, new model rarer. Drove BMW in summer, stored winter. Bought 2005 Honda Accord, 6 speed for winter, stored summer. Summer 2005, thought the Honda was simillar to BMW, except for the panache of the BMW. Decided I need an unalterated summer car. What shall I buy??? Maybe a Ferrari or ... maybe an NSX? Ferrari's are classical exotic, but maintenance costs would annoy me long term. Did a concentrated 3 month search (Nov 2005) and found a rio yellow 2004 (078) with 3,000 miles, that had never seen rain in Virginia. Flew to Virgina and bought the car and drove it back to Minnesota. Final assessment, the NSX is a fun, rare car to drive.

I gave the Porsche to my son for college graduation. The Porsche had 30k and was in mint condition. Other (younger) son, now medical student, got a 01 BMW 330i with 15k. Neither car had ever seen a drop of winter weather.

There is always a problem of choise. I wonder why do you guys bought nsx instead of other sport cars. I mean for that money you can get more powerfull vette, more fancy 911, more fresh whatever...
Why do YOU choose X?
Yeah, I ask couse i'm considering about buying one of that cars(Vette, 911 or NSX) The problem is that i never seen Vette and X live, 911 i saw a few times only.
So i'm kinda got no idea what to choose(i'm trippin from one car to another from month to month) and wanna take a look at your ideas why did you buy your X and how do you feel about it now.
Thanks!

Good question. I spent well over a year thinking about what car I wanted next, researching, test driving, more research, more test drives, etc, etc. I documented it all pretty well, I'll have to see if I can find it. I did cost of ownership analysys over 5 years factoring in things like the cost of tires(lookup the cost of Z06 tires), cost of oil changes(lookup the cost of a lotus oil change), cost of modifications I would likely want, cost of clutch replacement, etc, etc, etc. I also hungout on all the forums for the cars I was considering and searched their forums for problems they were having. I also test drove all the cars I was considering, I met up with the car clubs relative to the cars I was thinking about, etc, etc. You get the point. I spent a LOT of time researching. The conclusion for me was a NA2 NSX.

My short list had on it things like a Z06, Porsche 911, Lotus Elise, etc so I'll go over those.

For the Z06, it's a wicked fast car. Handles amazing. Brakes amazing. About $15k less for the ones I was looking at. I ALMOST bought one instead. I was on the fence. Thing is, I see them EVERYWHERE. I see more corvettes than camaros. Some of my friends jokening call the C5 corvette the Gen 5 Camaro simple because of how common it is. What killed it for me was seeing highschool kids and old women driving some in my area.

For the Porsche, it really came down to where I couldn't find that many people daily driving them, putting over 100,000 miles on them. I read about the 996 having massive engine problems, and I was just kind of turned off. I want a car I can daily drive, not just look at.

For the Lotus, I was originally turned on by the use of a toyota engine, and I figured it would be the perfect car to put 150,000 miles on, race hard, etc. After hanging out in their forums, it seems lotus has found a way to mess them up. Owners were talking about their brand new cars randomly not starting, the doors not opening, the AC not working, bolts poping through the body work, etc, etc, etc. Not to mention the oil change is something like $300!!! AND the sales men at the lotus dealer by me are jerks, so that alone killed it for me.

Are there really that many of us who purchased the nsx simply because you don't see one every day:confused:

Why an NSX?

When the C6 Corvette first came out in '97, they were impossible to get. I live in Minnesota and did a nationwide search and found a new one in Detroit Michigan (April 97) serial number 848. That summer you rarely saw a C6. Summer of 1998, they were all over the street, no panache. I sold the car in 1999, no because it wasn't a decent car, just boring to drive. At 70 mph, the car turned 1500 rpm. It was fun at 120 mph but boring at 70. I also had a 1986 Porsche 911, much more fun to drive a 70.

Fast forward to 2004, I bought the new BMW 545, 6 speed, sport pkg. Again, new model rarer. Drove BMW in summer, stored winter. Bought 2005 Honda Accord, 6 speed for winter, stored summer. Summer 2005, thought the Honda was simillar to BMW, except for the panache of the BMW. Decided I need an unalterated summer car. What shall I buy??? Maybe a Ferrari or ... maybe an NSX? Ferrari's are classical exotic, but maintenance costs would annoy me long term. Did a concentrated 3 month search (Nov 2005) and found a rio yellow 2004 (078) with 3,000 miles, that had never seen rain in Virginia. Flew to Virgina and bought the car and drove it back to Minnesota. Final assessment, the NSX is a fun, rare car to drive.

I gave the Porsche to my son for college graduation. The Porsche had 30k and was in mint condition. Other (younger) son, now medical student, got a 01 BMW 330i with 15k. Neither car had ever seen a drop of winter weather.

I need to exchange parents. Mine gave me their tres used Celica in college. You are one cool dad. Your kid doctor better gives you lifetime prescription privileges.

well, i think sense about this car coming back to me...
you know, when i was into cars like 300zx, supras, skylines i always get stuck when i saw the nsx(on pics), couse i always think like "ohh, that cars will never gonna look like x no matter how much mods you put on them" or
"holy shit, that car is queen of all hot imports, will i ever bought one..." or "dat thang looks like a jet fighter, what a car!"
but now, few years later, i think i grown out of that imports and want something more serious, like porsche or ...
you know what i like about c5 vettes? they look so damn ultimate, they probably the most ultimate coupes in the world, i mean coupes with classic coupe shape. They so wide and low. The top of that imports food chain. And that LS1 engine you can boost pretty easy to 1000hp. That a beast.
what i like about Porsches is the ass. They got the sexiest ass of all cars(for me). And its fancy =)
They all 3 are pretty rare here. Especially vettes, you know there is a very tiny demand on such cars here in europe. i think i would buy one of those 3 already if not the one small thing. Damn lambos. I can't buy it right now and i know i will buy one later, but damn i wannit right now so bad so i just can't wait. you know nsx is a finest japan car but it has only one problem - lamborghini. Damn lambs make me think that nsx isn't cool enough...
How you guys deal with it?

Back