The Pursuit of Power

Gang,
I'm sorry for the rather ignorant questions, but I've been perusing your site since getting my 1991 earlier this month. I've had lots of performance cars from a 1998 Integra Type-R to a 2002 911 Turbo. I'm at a loss for what steps are the right ones to take to get the NSX a little more pep.

I sold my 996TT to "downsize" for a baby. So, I'll have to do any mods in phases in order to keep the wife sane. Ulitmately, I'd like to make about 325 hp with more torque. The car has the Cantrell Intake and one of John's early "Race Version" Anytime Mufflers (one of the 5 that he sold that were too loud for the street). I plan to change the exhaust to something quieter and a little more streetable -- I'm not that into the show part of the go.

Here's kind of what I was thinking:
1) Comptech exhaust to replace the Anytime
2) Intake of some sort (Comptech? ARC?)
3) Headers (SoS look like the best buy to me)
4) Stage 1 from SoS

At that point the only other thing to do is bolt-on (turbo or s-charger) or opening the motor. Will the above Mods get me about where I want to be?

I appreciate any help!

The mods that you posted should put you in the 250-260 rwhp range. I am pretty sure that by simply bolting on the new CTSC Autorotor unit you should be at ~ 320-330 rwhp. Here's a link to my pre and post CTSC install dyno #'s for my '95.

Pre CTSC (Comptech Intake/Headers/Exhaust...
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=576064&postcount=1

Post CTSC (standard boost kit) :biggrin:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=583954&postcount=1

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=584691&postcount=16

ryan1926 said:
The mods that you posted should put you in the 250-260 rwhp range. I am pretty sure that by simply bolting on the new CTSC Autorotor unit you should be at ~ 320-330 rwhp. Here's a link to my pre and post CTSC install dyno #'s for my '95.

I'm not completely sure that I want to go with forced induction just yet. I can't really get it past the wife in "phases" and I don't want to risk detonation and blow the motor. I'll try the conservative approach at first. But your original graph gives me something to think about!

75 shot n20, plus wife stays sane except when you spray with her in the car.

I think what you looking to do is possible and can be done in stages to keep the wife happy. It took me a few years to get where I'm at now. Although my car is a 3.2 I still have a OEM ECU, Throttle Body, Intake, Etc. Things that SOS does with their Stage One Kit. Once I get to those I hope to be over the 300 RWHP Mark. My current engine mods are...

Comptech Headers
Comptech Straight Pipes
Taitec GT Lightweight Exhaust
Dali Racing Big Gulp CF Intake and CF Intake Tube
K & N Filtercharger
RC Engineering B & B OEM Injectors

Adding a shot of n20 wouldn't hurt either if thats your thing!

Attachments

• dynosmall.jpg
    dynosmall.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 62
Cincinnati Scott said:
I'm not that into the show part of the go.

Here's kind of what I was thinking:
1) Comptech exhaust to replace the Anytime
2) Intake of some sort (Comptech? ARC?)
3) Headers (SoS look like the best buy to me)
4) Stage 1 from SoS

Disclaimer: I know nothing of NSXs. I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night. I got this info from my psychic who drives an identical purple chevy Z24 cavalier to my own. My numbers are all wrong. Read none of the below.

You're probably starting at ~245whp with a 3.0
1) good plan
2) skip it (minimal power gains NA, if any)
3) this would be the first stop on my list.
This probably gets you to ~265whp

From this point, you've got a few options:
1.) FI - CTSC is the most conservative FI option = Maybe 320whp? Add a few more HP with an AEM.
2) IEM, either SoS II or comptech (cams, ecu, maybe throttle body). There is less data here, but maybe worth another 25ish HP
3) Nitrous (I'm not that familar with this option, perhaps Badcarma can chime in)
4) Skip the HP chase and alter the delivery (short 5speed or 6 speed, with or without a shorter r&p like the R 4.23 or OS gilken 4.44s)
5) Pile on the little power adders and see how far you get (intake, hi flow cats, throttle body, ECU, etc) My bet would be ~275whp TOPS

Just my phychic's $.02. Pay no attention to me.

P.S. John McCain Racing has a 3.2L, you have a 3.0.

Back