• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The NC1 Engine

@Driver's Therapy

Shame they aren't in production anymore and needless to say, PMC isn't giving tours. I got to go to the Anna Engine Facility and see the final assembly of the NSX motors. I'm far from technical and not mechanically skilled in any way but my wife and I were still intrigued. Small team of like 4 or 5 guys assembled them all, broke them in and shipped them 20 miles or so away to PMC for installation in the cars. These guys were so passionate and you could tell they loved their job.

In addition the block, and heads were cast/manufactured by Cosworth in England. So there is that bit of information. That helps make these engines very special indeed. I love the way the engine starts. There is no old fashion starter motor. You get an instantaneous rumble that reminds me of race cars.

@Driver's Therapy

Enjoyed. Good stuff.

Unconfirmed rumor. Probably never happened:
I am possibly looking forward to enjoying a private track day in two weeks. If it occurs, I will def
keep it under double-nickel. I will avoid all performance and dangerous maneuvers. I would not want to
experience premature tire wear. I fully realize I am obligated to keep it nice for the next caretaker.

Last edited:
@Driver's Therapy

Shame they aren't in production anymore and needless to say, PMC isn't giving tours. I got to go to the Anna Engine Facility and see the final assembly of the NSX motors. I'm far from technical and not mechanically skilled in any way but my wife and I were still intrigued. Small team of like 4 or 5 guys assembled them all, broke them in and shipped them 20 miles or so away to PMC for installation in the cars. These guys were so passionate and you could tell they loved their job.
Ther video we saw when they were interviewing the team at the Ohio plant, you could see how passionate they were.

In addition the block, and heads were cast/manufactured by Cosworth in England. So there is that bit of information. That helps make these engines very special indeed. I love the way the engine starts. There is no old fashion starter motor. You get an instantaneous rumble that reminds me of race cars.
I love that too. Add such a nice touch. :D

@Driver's Therapy

Enjoyed. Good stuff.

Unconfirmed rumor. Probably never happened:
I am possibly looking forward to enjoying a private track day in two weeks. If it occurs, I will def
keep it under double-nickle. I will avoid all performance and dangerous maneuvers. I would not want to
experience premature tire wear. I fully realize I am obligated to keep it nice for the next caretaker.
Thank you and have fun at your track day :)

I heard that from someone else. I need to look into that more sometime.

Ther video we saw when they were interviewing the team at the Ohio plant, you could see how passionate they were.

I met a guy on the assembly line who knew who I was from NSX Prime. They get a bio on all the guests and we were BS'ing for a bit. Ex Brookland's owner. I think he was doing final assembly.

Very nicely done, thanks.
My understanding is Honda went with Cosworth as they offered that coating.
Here is a video of the process (unknown what motor they are treating).

All the oil cans for the dry sump are welded by the same Italian woman..
All the torque tools in pmc are connected to the central network to confirm proper specs
nothing at pmc was rushed. The cars spent as much time at each station as the humans needed.
the cars are shaken and doused pretty severely before signed off

All the oil cans for the dry sump are welded by the same Italian woman..
All the torque tools in pmc are connected to the central network to confirm proper specs
nothing at pmc was rushed. The cars spent as much time at each station as the humans needed.
the cars are shaken and doused pretty severely before signed off
That is awesome. Such much info I did not know. Thank you for sharing.

I'd still like to learn more about how the Cosworth / Honda relationship worked when designing this motor. While we know that Cosworth manufactured the core engine parts and that Honda assembled the engines, we don't know to what degree this is a Honda engine vs a Cosworth engine. I've seen some people on-line saying they believe it's flat out a "Cosworth" engine based on how it's designed.

The NSX concierge didn't get into design with me, it was more of a we don't do low volume at any of our engine plants and Cosworth does this coating we want to use
He did say Cosworth was not set up for the volume Honda was targeting (1600 per year) and sent a bunch of folks over to Cosworth to help them increase their capabilities
My understanding is that even with the up front help from Honda, some of the slow deliveries of 2017 cars were related to delays in getting engines from them

Honda helped Cosworth with a $ infusion, they were hurting..

I like that new Murray design...and what an engine..

I would really enjoy driving the T33 (an S2000 for a person wtih $50 million is assets), the T50 is too hardcore for me.
I wish he had someone strong enough to say, boss we loved the F1 but you gotta put some more flair into today's cars.
The Ferrari guys pose the natural question, GMA or a SP3 Daytona, the Daytona is a crazy space ship with retro and futuristic vibes, point to Ferrari on design over the GMA.

This Acura video is good. I particularly like the part about the break-in period. NSX engine break-in is a white glove service. Take it straight to the track and drive it like you stole it. Z06, break-in yourself for 500 street miles or 1500 track miles. Do NOT take delivery and immediately drive it like you stole it. I guess the argument is that GM can't break-in every engine for a high production volume car that needs to be a performance bargain relative to the competition.

Z06 instructions:

This Acura video is good. I particularly like the part about the break-in period. NSX engine break-in is a white glove service. Take it straight to the track and drive it like you stole it. Z06, break-in yourself for 500 street miles or 1500 track miles. Do NOT take delivery and immediately drive it like you stole it. I guess the argument is that GM can't break-in every engine for a high production volume car that needs to be a performance bargain relative to the competition.

Z06 instructions:

Off topic but imagine what Gordon Murray is paying Cosworth for the 100 T50, 25 T50 track, and 200 T33 V12 engines

Gordon said that he plans to use that same Cosworth GMA V12 engine in all the future sports cars he makes for as long as possible in order to maximize his investment.

I would really enjoy driving the T33 (an S2000 for a person wtih $50 million is assets), the T50 is too hardcore for me.
I wish he had someone strong enough to say, boss we loved the F1 but you gotta put some more flair into today's cars.
The Ferrari guys pose the natural question, GMA or a SP3 Daytona, the Daytona is a crazy space ship with retro and futuristic vibes, point to Ferrari on design over the GMA.

I agree about the styling. When I first saw the T.50 and T.33 I though the style was a little too subdued. However the more I look at them I appreciate how they have a sleek simplicity to them that reminds me of the original NA1 NSX. They look like cars from the past but in a good way!

Back