The mystery is over VIN: JH4NA2167WT000150

For all those who were wondering about this car, the mystery is over...

I bought it.

Mystery solved.

It was listed on eBay with a reserve of $42500 and did not get over $32,000. I had inquired from the seller who was a car dealer what he wanted for the car, he never replied, but I was contacted by a VERY eccentric doctor in Missouri who said he owned the car and his friend who was a dealer was selling it for him.

Need less to say being a car dealer I was VERY suspicious, and to make it worse the guy was very elusive and did not no much about his car. Anyway we finally agreed on price and on a plane to Missouri I went.

Got to the doctors house and saw the car, more about that in a minute. First if you have no idea what an NSX is dont buy one, you will loose money. This doctor bought the car because he liked it four years ago, and drove it 1000 miles and decided he was going to sell it, he lost a fortune on the car. He said he did not like the car, so I asked him why he bought it? He said it looked good.

She is Rio Yellow over Black 56K miles before we left MO, it was in REALLY nice condition having been garage kept, the only paintwork I could find on the car was the targa was painted, leather was in great condition, paint was great, only negatives were a couple small rock chips, and the HRE's were pitted probably from road salt (I am having them redone)

She has some bolt on mods, all very tastefully done and all working well.

Comptech Supercharger
Comtech Exhaust
Short Shifter
HRE 547 18/19's
High Flow air Intake
Autometer boost gauge
Shock tower brace
Racing pedals
Lowered

And a couple more things that I forget at the moment.

She drove 1500 miles with Honda reliability and as you can expect got all kinds of looks, pictures, and compliments. One guy in Memphis asked us if it was the new Lamborghini, so we told him yes.

Only drawback, don't blow a 19" tire in a strange town, they don't have them. We had a blowout in Tallahassee and it was like an act of Congress to get a tire.

All in all - WoW, I am an owner again.....

Here are two pictures, that we took on the road, more to come as soon as I get her cleaned up.

Sam

Attachments

• NSX1 (Small).jpg
    NSX1 (Small).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 401
  • NSX2 (Small).jpg
    NSX2 (Small).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 304
Man, that looks nice! Sounds like you may have gotten a super deal - what year is it? Glad you like it - I'll be watching for more pics!

Only drawback, don't blow a 19" tire in a strange town, they don't have them. We had a blowout in Tallahassee and it was like an act of Congress to get a tire.

lol I just had a blow out a week ago. They finally got the tires and its ready to go today! Finally! There was somebody else asking questions about this car here on prime. Which I remember it was priced pretty fair for being supercharged. Im sure you will enjoy this beautiful NSX. I know I would.:biggrin:

To all the curious people, the deal was made at $37,500 which was a VERY good deal since the car has had only 2 owners and clean carfax and autocheck, and the mods were thrown in for free.

Now the car is at Foreigntech in Plantation, FL where Dwight will set the car up so it will run like new. He is a magician with the NSX, I brought him a Diablo and a Ferrari 550 and he could care less, but as soon as he saw this NSX he jumped in and took off. He said I will not be seeing the car anytime soon :biggrin:

Sam

PS Danny thanks for all your help, I am sure you are reading this...

E-bay is a buyers best friend in the world! Bids! bids! bids! Many times no real buyer, which puts the seller in a depressed state, just ask me. So stay in touch and know the market. JD

To all the curious people, the deal was made at $37,500 which was a VERY good deal since the car has had only 2 owners and clean carfax and autocheck, and the mods were thrown in for free.

Now the car is at Foreigntech in Plantation, FL where Dwight will set the car up so it will run like new. He is a magician with the NSX, I brought him a Diablo and a Ferrari 550 and he could care less, but as soon as he saw this NSX he jumped in and took off. He said I will not be seeing the car anytime soon :biggrin:

Sam

PS Danny thanks for all your help, I am sure you are reading this...

I would have to say that so far this is most likely the best deal I've ever seen reported here on Prime!!!!!:wink: That is unreal! I can hardly understand how a 98 with all those mods isn't worth at least 5k more. That is just mind blowing. You stole that one! Maknmoves- he's one after your own heart but give me a break with your 32k comment - I mean that would be a crime. Good for you - makes me almost wonder what is happening with this market - it's actually a tad bit worrisome. I'm happy for you though!

I would have to say that so far this is most likely the best deal I've ever seen reported here on Prime!!!!!:wink: That is unreal! I can hardly understand how a 98 with all those mods isn't worth at least 5k more. That is just mind blowing. You stole that one! Maknmoves- he's one after your own heart but give me a break with your 32k comment - I mean that would be a crime. Good for you - makes me almost wonder what is happening with this market - it's actually a tad bit worrisome. I'm happy for you though!

How much is a stock 98 with 56K miles worth these days?

How much is a stock 98 with 56K miles worth these days?

Any car is worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it, not what the seller wants for it.

IMO: In this case with the mods this is a great deal.

And of course yellow is the fastest.

Tim,

Here's a deal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004...7515046?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19bf8790a6

2004 JH4NA21674T000064

29,000 miles

$35,000

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=vs_w-a><CENTER>
!B3FBwV!BGk~$(KGrHqMOKj0E)oHz+VzSBMk5TflGyg~~_12.JPG
</CENTER>
Please wait
Image not available

</TD><TD class=vs_w-spr id=vv4-34_sp> </TD><TD>

<TABLE class="tg-tb tg-clp" id=vv4-34_tbl height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR id=t_r_vv4-34_0><TD id=t_c_vv4-34_0 width=42 height="8%">
!B3FBwV!BGk~$(KGrHqMOKj0E)oHz+VzSBMk5TflGyg~~_14.JPG
</TD></TR><TR id=t_r_vv4-34_1><TD id=t_c_vv4-34_1 height="8%">
!B3FB1ywB2k~$(KGrHqUOKiME)WEfELhTBMk5Tuys!!~~_14.JPG
</TD></TR><TR id=t_r_vv4-34_2><TD id=t_c_vv4-34_2 height="8%">
!B3FB54Q!mk~$(KGrHqYOKkIEyOGqi!CoBMk5T6NOzQ~~_14.JPG
</TD></TR><TR id=t_r_vv4-34_3><TD id=t_c_vv4-34_3 height="8%">
!B3FB9Tw!mk~$(KGrHqMOKjkEyO9WzuF,BMk5UC4tyQ~~_14.JPG
</TD></TR><TR id=t_r_vv4-34_4><TD id=t_c_vv4-34_4 height="8%">
!B3FCBvwCGk~$(KGrHqMOKjUEyKdE3iQkBMk5UPjynQ~~_14.JPG
</TD></TR><TR id=t_r_vv4-34_5><TD id=t_c_vv4-34_5 height="8%">
!B3FCGQg!2k~$(KGrHqMOKi0E)UMo!rgjBMk5Uc8ZDg~~_14.JPG
</TD></TR><TR id=t_r_vv4-34_6><TD id=t_c_vv4-34_6 height="8%">
!B3FCLIwBmk~$(KGrHqIOKkIEyNeR-9w!BMk5Uq,QJw~~_14.JPG
</TD></TR><TR id=t_r_vv4-34_7><TD id=t_c_vv4-34_7 height="8%">
!B3FCQ4w!2k~$(KGrHqMOKjcE)d0zTnIUBMk5U6SJK!~~_14.JPG
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Apparently someone stole the VIN and placed the ad on EBAY. This same VIN is listed on the for sale forum. I talked the owner from Prime and he sold the car.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138599&highlight=JH4NA21674T000064

Last edited:
That is a GREAT deal, for the scammer who posted it on eBay, especially the part of send your best offer.

One of the oldest eBay scams, the seller is out of town and he really wants to move the car, so dont worry, send him an escrow deposit, its safe, no really. So you send him a couple thousand, since after all its in escrow, until you find out the escrow is bogus and your money is in Lithuania.

Greed is amazing, it makes smart people who know better send money for a car because they REALLY believe that you can buy a $50,000 car for $25,000.

NSmartAss Sam X

Last edited:
I would imagine it just depends on how motivated a seller you have and how motivated the buyer is.

The nice cars are probably worth close to $40K.

Sam

I would agree with that estimate if it's in good shape with up to date maintenance. Maybe even a little more - if there is no accident damage and no paint work. If it is truly well maintained and up to date on everything and all systems have been gone thru - like mine but it's a 91 - then it may be worth 42k - but that's getting on up there in strong dollars - but a year or so ago - 42k would have been about right for a perfect one even with 56k miles. Tis now as they say not then.

32k would make anyone suspect it was wrecked. 40k is a good price on it. So you got a discount. Be happy - hope all the maintenance is up to snuff and the AC and stereo works perfectly. That AC can be expensive.

Hope you love it and it's all you hope it to be!

Yeah stuff like this comes along about every two or three months and it's just a big fat scam! I'd be all over that if it was real - but then we know it isn't and by the way so would half the folks on this site....:rolleyes::wink:

Tim,

Here's a deal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004...7515046?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19bf8790a6

2004 JH4NA21674T000064

29,000 miles

$35,000

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=vs_w-a><CENTER>
!B3FBwV!BGk~$(KGrHqMOKj0E)oHz+VzSBMk5TflGyg~~_12.JPG
</CENTER>
Please wait
Image not available

</TD><TD class=vs_w-spr id=vv4-34_sp></TD><TD>

<TABLE class="tg-tb tg-clp" id=vv4-34_tbl height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR id=t_r_vv4-34_0><TD id=t_c_vv4-34_0 width=42 height="8%">
!B3FBwV!BGk~$(KGrHqMOKj0E)oHz+VzSBMk5TflGyg~~_14.JPG
</TD></TR><TR id=t_r_vv4-34_1><TD id=t_c_vv4-34_1 height="8%">
!B3FB1ywB2k~$(KGrHqUOKiME)WEfELhTBMk5Tuys!!~~_14.JPG
</TD></TR><TR id=t_r_vv4-34_2><TD id=t_c_vv4-34_2 height="8%">
!B3FB54Q!mk~$(KGrHqYOKkIEyOGqi!CoBMk5T6NOzQ~~_14.JPG
</TD></TR><TR id=t_r_vv4-34_3><TD id=t_c_vv4-34_3 height="8%">
!B3FB9Tw!mk~$(KGrHqMOKjkEyO9WzuF,BMk5UC4tyQ~~_14.JPG
</TD></TR><TR id=t_r_vv4-34_4><TD id=t_c_vv4-34_4 height="8%">
!B3FCBvwCGk~$(KGrHqMOKjUEyKdE3iQkBMk5UPjynQ~~_14.JPG
</TD></TR><TR id=t_r_vv4-34_5><TD id=t_c_vv4-34_5 height="8%">
!B3FCGQg!2k~$(KGrHqMOKi0E)UMo!rgjBMk5Uc8ZDg~~_14.JPG
</TD></TR><TR id=t_r_vv4-34_6><TD id=t_c_vv4-34_6 height="8%">
!B3FCLIwBmk~$(KGrHqIOKkIEyNeR-9w!BMk5Uq,QJw~~_14.JPG
</TD></TR><TR id=t_r_vv4-34_7><TD id=t_c_vv4-34_7 height="8%">
!B3FCQ4w!2k~$(KGrHqMOKjcE)d0zTnIUBMk5U6SJK!~~_14.JPG

Apparently someone stole the VIN and placed the ad on EBAY. This same VIN is listed on the for sale forum. I talked the owner from Prime and he sold the car.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138599&highlight=JH4NA21674T000064

I would imagine it just depends on how motivated a seller you have and how motivated the buyer is.

The nice cars are probably worth close to $40K.

Sam

Sam, you got a great deal on a nice car with some awesome mods.
--------------------------
For a stock 98 w/ that mileage, I'd say $40-$42k was the price about three to four years ago. In today's market, it would probably be closer to $37-38k (selling price, not asking price). In a few years, we'll get back up to higher selling prices, as many of the ones that sold really low will be beat to hell and fewer clean examples will exist.

Last edited:
you got an AMAZING deal!! Congrats.

Btw, that 2nd ebay link - something isn't right. low mileage 2000 for $38K:confused: Those rims have to go!

Thanks all for the vote of confidence. Here are a few things to help all my fellow prime buddies work a great deal as well.

First off, as some of you know I am a car dealer, have been for around 20 years. dont hold it against me, I am a car junkie, and a real NSX junkie.

Here are some tips, some may agree, some may not, and it goes for most cars and most sellers.

If you see a car you like listed on eBay and other sites COMMUNICATE with the seller, send a nice e-mail, find out what they are asking. If they respond with a price that is more then you are looking to spend, just say thank you, or do not reply, if you are close try and make a deal.

Dont insult them, or tell them that your cousins uncles father bought one for $37.5. It does not matter what someone else paid for another car. He is the seller, you are the buyer, and each buyer and seller have a different view of their car and whats its worth as well as their financial position at the time.

If you are close, once again be polite, let the seller know what YOU want to spend, and let him know you understand if he can not sell for that price right now, BUT if he does at some point that you are a buyer and to please keep your name and number, and with that being said, if you are a buyer be prepared to BUY.

Dont tell someone after you make a deal that you have to get a loan or borrow money and you will get back to him in a week or two, be ready to pull the trigger. Part of the reason I got the car at $37.5 was I was able to close the deal, where the guy before me was not able to close at $40K. He may as well have paid $100k for the car he did not funds for. And dont agree to a price and renegotiate it, its really not cool.

Be educated, know your market. Most people do not realize that dealer auctions are not absolute sales, there is always a reserve and if the reserve is not met the car does not sell and will run another week OR go back to the dealership.

If you look at the Manheim market reports most cars with similar miles, options, color and condition sell for within a couple hundred of one another, not thousand less or MORE. Dealers, banks and leasing companies know what their cars are worth, if the car is sold for to low there is ALWAYS a story behind it.

With all that being said, I had a motivated seller, he wanted money for some other deal, and I was educated in the market price, I made him a fair offer, got on a plane, brought him a bank check and closed the deal.

In return, I got a good deal, a nice car, and more then I bargained for since the car had more mods then the seller even knew about.

Just my .02 cents worth.

nSamX = Sam = Free advice:biggrin:

NSamX,

That is super advice - something that some may know because of being around for so long like me and buying a lot of used cars - but this is probably one of the best synopsis car buying I've ever read. Thanks for writing it all up for us. That should be put in the archives! Great write up Sam!

Back