The best year of NSX? our opinion is appeciated

NRG

Experienced Member
Hi there,

I just sold my M3, and hoping to buy my dream car NSX. A friend told me that I should get 97 and above because of the 6 speed and 290 horsepower. Is he correct?

Also,

What's the average cost on the 15K and 30K maitenance? For my M3, the 30K was about 700 dollars just for the prevententive inspection. I'm just curious how much is it for this car.

Thank you,

PS: I envy all NSX owners. I have always wanted a new NSX, but the price is too much for my blood. That's why I have to find a used one instead. I want the E46 M3, but I see it everywhere. I'm planning to use the NSX for a weekend car as I just bought a new truck for my commute to work.

I would agree about the 97 NSX unless you plan on doing a lot of serious mods.

The 6-speed and 290HP and 224 TQ and very very nice additions over the 96 and under. You can really feel the extra midrange power.

I would guess maintenence should be inline with the M3, but I am not really sure on that.

You should be able to pick up a nice 97-98 for $45K these days.

I've never thought of it before, but my list of desirability are as follows:

Zanardi NSX
97-01 NSX-T
2002+ NSX-T
97-01 NSX coupe
95-96 NSX-T
91-94 NSX coupe <----I'm here :(

But, I'm just glad I have an NSX. ;)

I've never thought of it before, but my list of desirability are as follows:

Zanardi NSX
97-01 NSX-T
2002+ NSX-T
97-01 NSX coupe
95-96 NSX-T
91-94 NSX coupe <----I'm here

What? No NSX-R? :eek: :D That would be #1 on my list.

It all depends on your personal preferences.

If you prefer to be able to remove the roof panel, then get the NSX-T, which has been available since 1995. If you prefer the additional rigidity of a fixed-roof coupe, such as for driving on the racetrack, or if you would rather save some money, then get a coupe, which was only sold until 2001. (A '95 NSX-T typically costs around $6-10K more than an otherwise-similar '94 NSX Coupe.)

If you care about getting every last little bit of performance from the car, then get the '97-05, with its 20 extra horsepower. If you would rather save some money, then get the '91-96. (A '97 typically costs around $8-10K more than an otherwise-similar '96.)

If you want an automatic, then there is little difference between the '97-05 and the '91-96, since the biggest differences were in the 3.2-liter engine and six-speed, neither of which is in the automatic.

If you want an NSX but you would rather save money instead of spending extra for the removable roof panel or the more powerful drivetrain, then get an early ('91-94) NSX Coupe, which are the least expensive ones available.

Different strokes for different folks.

The best year, of course, is the year of the one sitting in your garage.

I disagree with the above. If I could have any , it would be 1. The Zanardi.
Number 2 would be a pre 94 model because of the lack of power steering and more rigid non-targa. The 93 and earlier are about 150 lbs lighter which comes close to offsetting the extra HP. I agree that the 6 speed is nice but I would rather have the lighter, stiffer body with the feel of the non power steering.
The Zanardi is the ultimate for these reasons.....No power steering, no targa,
lighter, stiffer than the Targa, 6 speed (but expensive) . The 93 and earlier is basically a Zanardi without the 6 speed and stiffer spring rates. Added H.P. comes easier on the pre 97 cars and with a few mods the car will run with the 97. Targa's are very pretty, but I prefer a fixed roof car.
P.S. I just sold a 96 M3, the car was incredible. My NSX was MUCH faster
straightline but the m3 was the king of the brakes!

I agree, but are there even any Zanardis left out there? There were only 50 right? The few I've even seen for sale, all had body work done on them. I also agree with the fixed roof. I've never been a big fan of the targa myself.

Steve said:
I disagree with the above. If I could have any , it would be 1. The Zanardi.
Number 2 would be a pre 94 model because of the lack of power steering and more rigid non-targa. The 93 and earlier are about 150 lbs lighter which comes close to offsetting the extra HP. I agree that the 6 speed is nice but I would rather have the lighter, stiffer body with the feel of the non power steering.
The Zanardi is the ultimate for these reasons.....No power steering, no targa,
lighter, stiffer than the Targa, 6 speed (but expensive) . The 93 and earlier is basically a Zanardi without the 6 speed and stiffer spring rates. Added H.P. comes easier on the pre 97 cars and with a few mods the car will run with the 97. Targa's are very pretty, but I prefer a fixed roof car.
P.S. I just sold a 96 M3, the car was incredible. My NSX was MUCH faster
straightline but the m3 was the king of the brakes!

1. Disagree? How do you disagree with one's personal list?

2. Pre-94? The NSX's are categorized as 91-94 for the coupes. The 93's and 94's don't have much of a difference save larger rims and toe-in calibrations on the latter.

3. How is the 93 basically a Zanardi? A 97+ coupe is much more in-line as far as likeness to a Zanardi than a 1993.

Any NSX is a great car and I admire them all. I decided on the 92, being lighter, stiffer and less expensive. I put the money I saved on the purchase into upgrades to personlize the car. It has become the NSX model I desire most.

Steve said:
I disagree with the above.
Nothing you have said disagrees with what I posted. All you have posted is your own personal preference for performance, which matches what I have suggested for those most interested in performance. (In my recommendations, I didn't bother subdividing the '97-04 cars down into coupes vs NSX-T, because there are so few of the former, but they - including the Zanardi - are certainly the ultimate NSX for those who are interested only in performance, and not at all in other factors such as cost, open-air motoring, etc.) However, buyers who do care about those other factors may make a different decision from yours.

Joel said:
1. Disagree? How do you disagree with one's personal list?

2. Pre-94? The NSX's are categorized as 91-94 for the coupes. The 93's and 94's don't have much of a difference save larger rims and toe-in calibrations on the latter.

3. How is the 93 basically a Zanardi? A 97+ coupe is much more in-line as far as likeness to a Zanardi than a 1993.

1 . I meant that I disagree with others opinions (that is my right....RIGHT?)
I did not call out anyones PERSONAL list. I did not mean the post directly above mine, but rather the people that would rather have a TARGA.
2. The 94 had power steering....adds weight and numbs the steering.
3. Yes, and 97 coupes are a dime a dozen right?? The 91-93's lack of power steering along with the fixed roof makes it VERY similar to the Zanardi.
Change the spring rates and roll bar diameter, bolt on some mods and you have a VERY similar car. Similar weight and similar HP and similar rigidity.
Find me a 97 coupe and I will replace mine.

Did not mean to upset you Joel, but he asked for my opinion...
Sorry you disagree on me having a right to my personal opinion.
Again, if I could own any it would be the Zanardi, and next a 97
or newer coupe. Thing is, it took me a year to find my 93.
I could only imagine how long I would search for the perfect
97 coupe! Man, I didn't think I would have to get on the defensive
over my personal opinion!!

Steve said:
2. The 94 had power steering....adds weight and numbs the steering.

The 94's do not have power steering. I should know I have a 94!

3. Yes, and 97 coupes are a dime a dozen right??

What does that have to do with what we're talking about?

The 91-93's lack of power steering along with the fixed roof makes it VERY similar to the Zanardi.

The 97 coupes have a fixed roof. I still say the 97 coupes are closer to the Zanardi because it already has the 3.2L engine. Just take out the power steering on the 97 and do the said mods you stated and voila....closer to Zanardi than the 93. But you're intitled to your own opinion.

Sorry you disagree on me having a right to my personal opinion.
\

I never said you didn't have the right to your opinion.

Again, if I could own any it would be the Zanardi

About the only thing we agree on.

Joel, thanks for proof reading all of my comments. It is nice to know someone
like you is looking out for my best interest! Thanks again! I stand corrected
on all of my opinions. My bad on the 94 PS issue, I thought I read that in the facts section. Keep up the good work!

Welcome to the board. As a previous M3 owner I can tell you that the NSX service is only slightly more than my M3 was. They are both very fun to drive, and you will enjoyit no matter what year you get.

Now, to your question. The '97+ NSX is the most powerful and refined one out there. If I had it my way I would track down one of the elusive HARDTOP coupes of the '97-'01 era. The only problem is that there are a very low amount of these, as most were the targa top NSX-T. However, there is a 2001 Grand Prix White NSX coupe that has been for sale for a while and has ultra-low miles. If you could get that car it would be a lightweight fun machine. :)

I agree with mitch. A 97+coupe would be the best, but they are very very hard to find. On guy on here bought one, then sold it shortly after and wanted to crazy amount of money. He was a tool.

Anyway, it is still around I think, but I am starting to wonder if there is something wrong with it.

Back