• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The alternative cheap track car: MR2 Turbo vs. 986 Boxster vs. ????

I think the $5000 mark is a very limiting factor but if your considering to go higher RX7 or S2000 is an excellent choice. STI/EVO/968/M3

- - - Updated - - -

What about this?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/4668168947.html

Honestly I would just lose this idea, insure my NSX and keep tracking it if I were you. Nothing else will be as fun and as long as you are covered... who cares. Plus you get to master your real car. A second car isn't just the car... its the storage, the insurance, the transport, the maintenance, the taxes, the things you have to go out and fix... this is what the NSX was designed to do. Go on a track. And not to sound like yours is not valuable but it isn't a 2000 mile Zanardi or a 2005 one owner Imola. Just drive it and enjoy it man, stop worrying. Life is short. I really mean that. Life truly is short... don't get too attached to objects. An experience is always more valuable.

Honestly I would just lose this idea, insure my NSX and keep tracking it if I were you. Nothing else will be as fun and as long as you are covered... who cares. Plus you get to master your real car. A second car isn't just the car... its the storage, the insurance, the transport, the maintenance, the taxes, the things you have to go out and fix... this is what the NSX was designed to do. Go on a track. And not to sound like yours is not valuable but it isn't a 2000 mile Zanardi or a 2005 one owner Imola. Just drive it and enjoy it man, stop worrying. Life is short. I really mean that. Life truly is short... don't get too attached to objects. An experience is always more valuable.

5zKXz_zpsdb4b7226.gif

This particular NSX happens to have a large amount of sentimental value to me. I would happily get a second one for track use, but they are going up in value and it would probably cost me more than this one did...

I adore my NSX and have so much time, money and love into it but at the end of the day, I am not taking it with me when I go. Objects are here for you to use and enjoy....what is better than being one with your favorite car on the track? Everything dies one day....

Do you use track insurance? If so who do you go through?

Do you use track insurance? If so who do you go through?

There is ontrackinsurance.com and lockton affinity. Stay conservative with the price of the car and buy for a season. My insurance company happens to cover me. I called and asked. But I have switched to mostlu autoX with perhaps a few track events a year. If you do a LOT of track then a different car might make more sense. whatever that insurance costs, it is less than what a second car and all its insurance and expenses will cost. Like I said it depends on how MUCH you want to be on the track.

For better or worse I've made my choice. Kinda missed on the "cheap" part, but definitely hits the "fast" spot:

IMG_0017-1.jpg

Awesome. Please post your thoughts here as you experience it at the track. Details on what's been done to the car?

Mostly stock, it has a shitty aftermarket Alpine head unit, it's on shitty run-flat tires at the moment (good - means the previous owner was not a hooligan, maybe, hopefully... bad - I need 4x19" tires before I hit the track - $$$$!)

Other than that it needs the fabled BMW Inspection-II, and a tightening of the VANOS bolts, and oil change, brake pads, and brake fluids, and then it's ready to hit the track.

Looks nice........love the color. Your original post said you wanted something relatively cheap to operate. Does this meet that goal?

Looks nice........love the color. Your original post said you wanted something relatively cheap to operate. Does this meet that goal?

Nope! But because I'm a car guy I also want something fast. This is fast, rare (color/competition package), pretty, stock, and clean. That's a long enough list that I can overlook the "cheap" aspect :biggrin:

all good if it works for you. Is that the Interlagos blue comp package M3? A co-worker of mine bought one brand new when they first came out. I remember it been beautiful in person. It had the auto tranny and when I drove it I didnt care for it much. What tranny is in it?

all good if it works for you. Is that the Interlagos blue comp package M3? A co-worker of mine bought one brand new when they first came out. I remember it been beautiful in person. It had the auto tranny and when I drove it I didnt care for it much. What tranny is in it?

Is it Interlagos Blue or Le Mans Blue? Sometimes I find it hard to tell...

In fact it is an Interlagos blue comp package M3. It does have the much-maligned SMG transmission, which is boring on the street if you leave it in D, but the shifts are fast enough that I think it will perform well on the track. I already have a manual car and I wanted something interesting and different, and this thing slams gears like a Lamborghini in a very "emotional" way.

Plus launch control "burnout mode" is just way too fun.

While the SMG is not as advanced, fast, or smooth as the newer DCT, I don't agree with all of the hate toward it. The SMG is still extremely fast shifting and with a slight breath of the throttle during the shift, you can make even the fastest upshifts very smooth.

Congrats on the car. I think the E46 is still one of the best looking M3s made. Just make sure you stay on top of the Guibo, radiator, and rubber in the suspension.

Back