Thanks Don @ Hilltop Auto Service

Once again Don came to my rescue. I was driving to work on Thursday and got on 580 and sort of jumped on it a little (actually quite a bit) and heard a popping sound when I engaged the clutch to shift from 2nd to 3rd. I could not get it in gear and had to coast to an exit. Figured it was the clutch because when I stopped I could shift it into a gear but heard a rattling noise. Shut it down, called AAA and towed it to Hilltop Auto in Daily City. Car got there around 11 and Don had dropped the transmission by 4 and determined it was the clutch. He got a new stock one in next morning and the car was ready to go by Saturday at 11. I figured the car would be out of service for 4-5 days and not 2 days. When I got there the original was in bad shape. It was down to the rivets and one of the springs had busted loose causing the rattle. However, after 150k miles on the original clutch I do not feel too bad. Thanks Don.

glads things work out for you, 150k on original clutch is amazing.
Did you notice any slipping or any difference in shifting before this happen?

Now I'm thinking I want a new clutch.

How much did it run you?

~$3k parts and labor for a stock clutch.

glads things work out for you, 150k on original clutch is amazing.
Did you notice any slipping or any difference in shifting before this happen?

Thanks and yeah I was wondering when something might happen. No slipping that I could discern, but I don't typiclly launch it off the line. Just punch it going on the freeway.

Don is the the man. He just replaced a flaky ignition switch on my NSX that was giving me all kinds of grief.

smhrednsx91, I think I saw you there picking up your car when mine was on its way in on a flat bed.

Otto

Don found my bad ignition switch on my last nsx too after I almost busted the battery terminals thinking they were loose.

Now I'm thinking I want a new clutch.

How much did it run you?

I just had Don put an OEM unit in mine with a Fidanza lightweight flywheel. After 100K on the old one I was surprised to see that it probably had about 5-10K more miles left in it.

My price was about the same as quoted above.

Don is the the man. He just replaced a flaky ignition switch on my NSX that was giving me all kinds of grief.

smhrednsx91, I think I saw you there picking up your car when mine was on its way in on a flat bed.

Otto

I picked mune up Sat 5/1 afternoon around 4 pm. There were 3 or 4 other NSXs there. Ignition switches seem to be a common failure. I replaced mine a couple of years ago - did it myself.

I got my car back a couple days ago from don. Great work! Went in with a blown headgasket. Got it all fixed. Car runs great. BUT! .. im a effin pissed that i let them wash my car..Drove it home and i was looking at the paint and its all scratched and swirly =( i had it detailed a while back but the paint had hardly any swirls and now.. different story.. my hood looks like crap now. looks like they used a brillo pad. dammit

Last edited:
I got my car back a couple days ago from don. Great work! Went in with a blown headgasket. Got it all fixed. Car runs great. BUT! .. im a effin pissed that i let them wash my car..Drove it home and i was looking at the paint and its all scratched and swirly =( i had it detailed a while back but the paint had hardly any swirls and now.. different story.. my hood looks like crap now. looks like they used a brillo pad. dammit

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Don and his team but when he said he'd wash my car I said NO...I'll take care of my paint. I suggest you call him and tell him your issue (and at least one other view) so he knows that washing the car may not always be that easy and in fact he could make things worse. i think he would be receptive to that.

Also, Don may generally do that as a courtesy to work done on all other cars.........

Last edited:
Back