Testing Resumes at the Ring

Looks like it is back and running hard. Sounds a lot like the original NSX. That has got to be close to 8,000 rpm from the exhaust note. Also looks like they have a roll cage bolted in.

At NSXPO .. when we were gathered around the blue mule at the R&D building, there was a writeup on an easel close by which talked about the efforts of a small team to create a unique exhaust sound and some of the efforts they'd gone through. This reminded me of the video of the same car doing some laps at Mid Ohio last summer. The original video showed them backing it out of a trailer and it sure didn't sound like a V6. Then there was this teaser video which also sounded pretty raspy: http://www.nsxprime.com/2013/08/05/the-new-nsx-teaser-video/
both of which sound somewhat like this latest video at the ring.

You're a pilot?

That's right. A Nurburgring aviator

Actually, we've only done this twice.

How did you do?

Crashed and burned on the first one.

And the second?

I'll tell you tomorrow......But it's looking good so far.

......................and there was much rejoicing.................

Does sound much better than I expected. I know that v6 can sound great. The 350 engine in the slk350 had a great sound with the sports intake kit fitted. The trouble is that the turbos mute the exhaust quite a bit. Much of the sound can be improved by concentrating on induction roar- that would be great.I wish Nissan had paid attention to this. I spent a lot of time and money making the gtr exhaust note as quiet as possible because the engine was a little uninspiring.

That sounds and looks great. Esp moving at a speed. Wonder if Gan-San is still test driving for Honda. ?

I bet they are not done. Looks like they were pushing it harder than the 1st round of testing(when it caught fire).

The roll cage you see is a fire supression system like ford put in the crown vic's after they also caught fire.

Looks fast and sounds fast but they need to get that roll in the turns down. I believe a 911 would not show any roll in those corners, at that speed. I know, its early.

Also, it looks pretty awesome but it looks like the front overhang has grown. If they are listening, I am hoping only the rear overhang grows for the production model and they keep the front short and low.

Last edited:
Looks fast and sounds fast but they need to get that roll in the turns down. I believe a 911 would not show any roll in those corners, at that speed. I know, its early.

Also, it looks pretty awesome but it looks like the front overhang has grown. If they are listening, I am hoping only the rear overhang grows for the production model and they keep the front short and low.

Surely overhangs will grow for pedestrian safety reasons?

People keep saying that safety reasons are why the car has to be either taller or longer in the front. But the C7 Corvette and the 911 are two recent examples of cars that don't seem to be limited by such regulations.

Looks fast and sounds fast but they need to get that roll in the turns down.
I think it's going faster than you perceive. The first turn shown is very prevalent in 'ring videos (common place to crash). Seems to be moving pretty quick and yet well-planted (not bouncing/leaning/snapping around).

Back