Targa Top conversion 91-94

NsXTaCY168

I would like some feedback on the Targa Top conversion for 91-94 NSX's. Do you think it is worth the $8500 for the conversion? Is it as safe as an original Targa? I like my current NSX and don't want to sell it.

I've heard that Newport Conversion in Southern California is an expert on Targa and convertible conversions..... IS anyone familiar with these guys?

My 94' NSX has very low miles and I don't want to sell it and buy a 95'+ Targa model. Most of the ads I've seen for the Targa models have high miles and still asking in the mid $40's+.

Thank you for your assistance regarding this matter.

Kevin

Try searching this has been discussed before. Basically the answer is stay away from these conversions. Honda put a lot of additional structure into the T's to stiffen them including thickening the sections several chassis pieces. No matter how many braces an aftermarket vendor installs they can never achieve the stiffness that the factory thought was necessary for the T top. If you really want a T keep looking until you find the right one. Your car's value + $8500 (conversion cost) should get you a decent car.

Kevin,
Don't even think about it. You really don't want to cut up a perfect coupe just to have a Targa. With the extra money, you should sell the 94 and buy a 1997+ which has more power, targa top, 6 speed tranny and 3 years+ younger. With what you are thinking, you'll end up with a ruined 94, same power, more weight, lower value than even what you start with, and a lot of remorse. If you really don't want to sell the 1994, do what I did. Buy a Targa in addition to the coupe.

:D
Steve

Don't do it. Sell the one you have and then get a real NSX-T.

Woodwork (NSX Engineer from American Honda) has inspected several of these conversions and has even offerred assistance to Newport... they blew him off.

Basically, it wasn't very safe.

f I recall correctly, what he found was that in an event of an accident... the windshield would pretty much drop in your lap and cut off whatever is in it's path.

Don't do it. No one will want to buy it either. Have you seen all the crap that stirs up when we see a non-factory Targa go up on the sellers block?

Don't do it.

What the others said. Don't destroy your 94. If you really, really, really want an open top, sell your 94 and buy a 95. The price difference won't even be that much (94+conversion vs. 95) -- indeed, it may be cheaper to buy a 1995 because 95-96 are generally among the less desirable NSXen due to their underpoweredness.

I concur with the above.

In addition, if you do any track events with your car, you may not want to go to even a factory targa. No disrespect to the targas, but they rattle and flex at the track. They also add a few hundred pounds of weight that you don't need.

Don't get me wrong, the targas are wonderful cars. Certainly, many people have been using targas at the track for years, (and I am sure will let me know just how well they do hold up ;) ), but I think they have to concede the targa is less suited than the coupe for such use.

YMMV. :)

i've never driven a NSX-T before, so i cant really comment on nsx T.. however, when i was searching for a NSX, i looked only for a hardtop. I believe for a pure sports car, hardtop is the only way to go

I have a supra w/t top.. man oh man, it flex like a MF.. i spent lots of $$$ to stiffen up the chasis, and i still NOT happy with the result.

most T top car that i've driven, feel like a wet noodle when going over bumps.. corner, uphill, etc etc..

another negative thing about having a T top is.. it is almost guarrantee to leak/rattle over time.. annoying as hell.

-jjc.
93 red NSX H
93 blk Supra tt T
03 silver ranger
03 cream puppy..

NsXTaCY168 said:
My 94' NSX has very low miles and I don't want to sell it and buy a 95'+ Targa model. Most of the ads I've seen for the Targa models have high miles and still asking in the mid $40's+.

Depending on the miles and condition on your '94, if it's truly low miles and excellent condition, it might be worth somewhere in the high $30s - let's call it $37-39K.

You should be able to get a nice '95-96 NSX-T with average miles or below-average for $43-45K.

So you could:

(a) pay $8K to cut the roof off your '94 and install a T roof, and have a car that is then worth around $32K (that's right, your car will be worth LESS after you cut the roof off), or you could

(b) pay $6K or so to trade your '94 in on a '95-96 NSX-T, and have a car that is then worth around $43-45K.

And the car in (b) will be a much better car than the car in (a).

This is a no-brainer.

Thanks for the feedback. I won't consider the conversion. Not a single person in favor of the conversion. Good points made regarding safety and the decrease in value.

Can a moderator delete this entire thread for me?

Kevin

No need to delete it Kevin - this is still a good point of reference like all the other threads - someone will consider this again & if they do a search, the inputs are all right there. That's one of the valuable assets of this site - there is so much knowledge avialable when you search for it, even w/o asking the question again directly.

Incidentally I had the exact same thoughts as the REAL nsaxtasy (now that's scary!!!
eek.gif
)
- although I would probably have put the "after" value much lower than $32K - they become extremely unsellable when chopped.

It's really nice to have a sounding board for these kind of things though, isn't it?

Re: Re: Targa Top conversion 91-94

The REAL nsxtasy said:
cut the roof off your '94 and install a T roof, and have a car that is then worth around $32K (that's right, your car will be worth LESS after you cut the roof off)
Really? Is anyone here willing to pay that much for a hacked up car? I know I wouldn't, simply due to the compromised safety issues. Actually, I don't think I'd go near a car like that at any price (I like my legs!).

I think an NSX would look best with either the Targa or T-top, not sun,or moon roof. But these options have to come straight from the factory, though I have consider that conversion idea before.

JJCNSX said:
i've never driven a NSX-T before, so i cant really comment on nsx T.. however, when i was searching for a NSX, i looked only for a hardtop. I believe for a pure sports car, hardtop is the only way to go

I have a supra w/t top.. man oh man, it flex like a MF.. i spent lots of $$$ to stiffen up the chasis, and i still NOT happy with the result.

most T top car that i've driven, feel like a wet noodle when going over bumps.. corner, uphill, etc etc..

another negative thing about having a T top is.. it is almost guarrantee to leak/rattle over time.. annoying as hell.

Well, I can't comment on the Supra, but none of this applies on the NSX. My 98-T had 56k on the clock with NO leaks at ALL, no excess flex and really no indication that it was even there.

The NSX targa is excellent. You may feel that it's not a "real sportscar" (the manual vs. auto debate in another flavor!), but rest assured that it's not remotely like the Supra (based on your description).

The problem (if you do this) becomes one of position.

If you are in the position of shopping for a car, why would you buy a comprimised car when for a few more $ you can buy the factory tested/engineered/fitted car?

Your position is different. You have a car you know is great; and would like to keep it. The conversion seems like an option to gain the suntan factor when touted by the company that is selling the conversion. However, you have to put yourself in the position of the next buyer holding the cash. The choice becomes easy.

I am glad you have decided to keep the car stock. Companies that do this kind of conversion mostly for show cars or cars that are not made as open top cars from the factory. But I urge you to look at one of these conversions in person prior to ever considering the job.

Back