Taking the NSX out next month to the track...first time

I need to buy a helmet locally in LV. Does anyone know a good place besides the actual track? What brake fluid do I need to change to? I want to make sure it has a high enough boiling point for racing for 20-30 minutes a session.

This will be first time with the NSX at the track and second track event overall so I am pretty excited about it.

I recommend Motul RBF 600 or RBF 660. Both have a significantly higher boiling point than ATE.

If there's a good race shop in Vegas, they probably carry it. Otherwise, you can find it online in a lot of places, including this one. Buy two bottles (.5 L each) to do a flush on the NSX.

I recommend Motul RBF 600 or RBF 660. Both have a significantly higher boiling point than ATE.

If there's a good race shop in Vegas, they probably carry it. Otherwise, you can find it online in a lot of places, including this one. Buy two bottles (.5 L each) to do a flush on the NSX.

The Motul does have a higher boil point than the ATE (Super Blue and Type 200 are the same, just different color), but absorbs water faster. Don't get me wrong... the Motul is great, but if you're starting out with track days the ATE will be great and more than you need for a while, and not need to be changed as often. I go about a year on a flush with ATE, and it's generally less expensive to boot. In comparison, the guys I know who run Motul change more often if not at the least every 6 months or few track days as after that is starts to lose efficiency.

Just a counter point... there's no wrong answer if you use either.

you can get the ATE cheap here: http://ogracing.com/catalog/2-Car/34-Oils-Lubricants/item-12-ATE-SUPER-BLUE-BRAKE-FLUID

http://ogracing.com/catalog/2-Car/34-Oils-Lubricants/item-1915-ATE-GOLD-TYPE-200-BRAKE-FLUID

If it's your first time at the track the fluid won't be a problem. ATE is fine, or frankly any DOT 4 fluid. I think its more likely that pads will be an issue, so at the least I'd have a second set on hand.

The only modification an NSX needs for track use is upgraded fluid and pads. Without these, you will find your day frustrating. I have used Motul RBF 600 and Carbotech 503, 504 pads on my infrequently tracked NSX and have been satisfied w/ the cars braking ability. I have tried to track it w/ stock pads and fluid and could only use it for touring, not open sessions, due to brake fade and loss of stopping power.
As far as the helmet goes, you may well be able to rent from the track. I purchased my first helmet on-line and measured my head multiple times to get the correct size. I lucked out and I'm happy w/ my lid. Generally, though, it's better to try them on first...

^^^Agreed....Motul 600 & Carbotech XP10's (because you won't be going fast the first time out, but you'll still need to stop fast).

Back